Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frustrations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
As you know I am looking for a passenger 914-4 Bilstein strut. Mark E suggested I call DC Automotive. So I did. Well the seller on the other end of the line told me he had been doing it for 25 years and that he had never heard of such a thing. I assured him that I had two drivers sides and that they were real and they had a 3" brake caliper pattern. Seller was again polite but indicated I was nuts. I said thank you and went on. confused24.gif

I found it amusing. I hope that I am able to learn something new everyday. Still working on being a know it all after all these years. popcorn[1].gif
Chris914n6
914s only came with Boge struts. I believe Bilsteins were optional on 911s or part of the race program (still 5 lug).

Have you fitted a hub and caliper on it?
mepstein
I thought you could get a billstein insert as an option but I’ve never seen a billstein 914-4 strut.

Rob is a good guy. His first Porsche was a 914 with a Mitcom body kit. He just sold it to one of his employees. Unfortunately, he no longer carries many 914 parts. Out of 140,000 sq/ft (not a typo) only about 400 sq/ft are 914.
JeffBowlsby
Bilstein struts were an available 914/4 option. I have a set, special PN.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 4 2018, 08:17 PM) *

Bilstein struts were an available 914/4 option. I have a set, special PN.

I believe you. I've just never seen a set in the wild.
JeffBowlsby
914 341 091 34
914 341 092 34

Mine need to be stripped and repainted.

914Sixer
There is a set for sale in the classified section. Added pictures from classifieds. Mine are over in the warehouse.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 4 2018, 08:32 PM) *

914 341 091 34
914 341 092 34

The bearing surface on the spindle may be too far gone unless that is just light surface rust.
914werke
as do I smile.gif
Still looking for a source for the seals & hw to rebuild otherwise Id put them back on the LE.

Jeff could confirm but I thought there was an actual option pkg/code from Porsche.
914Sixer
You can use 911 inserts.
914werke
Mark to your orig theme, I had a similar experience recently talking to FAT.
Made contact re sourcing someone to do the dual plug machining for my next build
And spoke with some yahoo who claimed they'd never done it never heard of it outside
of light aircraft and couldn't understand why ..."seems like a total waste of money"

mepstein
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 4 2018, 09:07 PM) *

Mark to your orig theme, I had a similar experience recently talking to FAT.
Made contact re sourcing someone to do the dual plug machining for my next build
And spoke with some yahoo who claimed they'd never done it never heard of it outside
of light aircraft and couldn't understand why ..."seems like a total waste of money"

My 2004 Dodge Durango has dual plugs.
r_towle
Have you tried Brad in Illinois, or Rick at HPH in the Bay Area?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2018, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 4 2018, 08:32 PM) *

914 341 091 34
914 341 092 34

The bearing surface on the spindle may be too far gone unless that is just light surface rust.

You can get them chromed (not the pretty chrome) or use a Speedi-sleeve.
A crank machine shop should be able to do this.
JeffBowlsby
its just light surface corrosion. A brillo pad will take it off.

Contact/send them to Bilstein directly...in SoCal if I recall...they will rebuild them.
rhodyguy
There's a well optioned 2.0 75' up here with green units on all 4 corners. 'Option' on the window sticker. Cool car.
mtndawg
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 5 2018, 08:30 AM) *

its just light surface corrosion. A brillo pad will take it off.

Contact/send them to Bilstein directly...in SoCal if I recall...they will rebuild them.

Yes, I had a set rebuilt by Bilstein for a 911 and they looked very nice.
davep
I have a set on my LE, but not sure that they are original since the rears are yellow. Also have a spare set of Bilstein's awaiting a project. I understand that factory installed rear Bilstein are green.
914Sixer
The original factory rears were green.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 23 2018, 04:47 AM) *

The original factory rears were green.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
As Jeff stated, green Bilstein front struts and rear shocks were an option 73-76 914-4 models, and are also in the factory 914 parts book
KELTY360
$150 option. Cost more than adding F&R sways.

Click to view attachment

BTW, this window sticker soon to be for sale...including matching car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Please let me know I would be interested in this car

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 23 2018, 12:40 PM) *

$150 option. Cost more than adding F&R sways.

Click to view attachment

BTW, this window sticker soon to be for sale...including matching car.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.