Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race engine piston to cyclinder clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Driver174
914-4 2.0L approx. 10.5:1, JE forged 2618 Aluminum pistons, Web 163/86b cam

JE clearance guidlines say to set clearance to .0035" along with a note "some applications may require more clearance".

I had cyclinders bored 0.75 mm oversize with piston clearance of 0.0035", but am having second thoughts; maybe should of increased clearance to .0045.

Engine will see road racing conditions, so will get run hard for 20-30 minutes or more during each race. Should I increase the piston clearance? I'm assembling the engine now so it's not too late to address.

Thanks,
Jim
Driver174
Any thoughts before I assemble this engine? I checked the clearance of each piston/bore, and am going to put largest of .0038” in # 3 position.

Thanks again,
ChrisFoley
Probably not too many engine builders looking in this forum on a regular basis, Jim.
I bet you would get some opinions if you posted the same topic in the Garage.
wndsrfr
Len Hoffman...(HAM inc.)...advised me when I put JE's in my 2316....I advise you to PM him before you increase that clearance.....as I recall he said not to exceed .0025", so you're maybe past that already....
Krieger
FWIW, I just finished building a 911 six. I used Wayne Dempsey's engine build book a he recommends 1.5mm clearance for intake and 2.0mm for exhaust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.