Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widening Mahle Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aircooledfool
Wondering if anyone has had a set of 4-bolt Mahles widened for the rears? If so, how wide can you go with stock fenders?
Cairo94507
Give Harvey Weidman a call (Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, CA) and ask him if it can be done. He has my complete set of deep sixes that he widened 1" on the back side to make them 7".
Cairo94507
Oooopps. double post.
mepstein
One of the guys on this site did it a couple years ago. looked good. Harvey was going to do some 2.0 Fuchs for me to make 7's & 8's but then I decided to go 5 lug. It's not cheap. I think I remember about $400 per wheel. I personally wouldn't do Mahles since they are so soft, they don't hold up like Fuchs.
KELTY360
sixnotfour has done it. Jeff is a wizard, PM him.
Chris914n6
Actually no point in widening the wheel with the same size tire. Problem is tire clearance. You might get from a 205 to a 215 or 225 towards the inside but it's not going to stick that much better.
Mark Henry
IIRC Mahles are magnesium, correct?

If they are it's harder to weld, more care needs to be taken to prevent warpage and Mag filler rod is over $100/lb.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 20 2018, 09:40 AM) *

IIRC Mahles are magnesium, correct?

If they are it's harder to weld, more care needs to be taken to prevent warpage and Mag filler rod is over $100/lb.

Mahle 5 lug gasburner wheels are mag. 4 lug is cast aluminum.
914werke
agree.gif The set that Jeff did is still kicking around the PNW on another members car (Audio_File) Although I havent spoken to Chris is little while.
They were orig. made for Jons car. HERE
jd74914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 20 2018, 02:45 AM) *

Actually no point in widening the wheel with the same size tire. Problem is tire clearance. You might get from a 205 to a 215 or 225 towards the inside but it's not going to stick that much better.

That's only kinda true. I agree that you're overall limited with tire sizes; there just isn't enough fender well. But, there are distinct tire stiffness benefits to running appropriately wide rims which can affect grip and overall vehicle transient handling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.