Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting front of rear of trunk to make room for distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
I'm currently running a Mallory dual point distributor, mechanical advance only, with a crab cap in my SBC powered 914. Renegade kit. With this set up, the dizzy fits neatly under the front of the rear trunk overhang with no cutting required. I can even R & R the dizzy if I temporarily lower the engine an inch or so.

I'm not crazy about the lack of vacuum advance, however. Any dizzy with vacuum advance (that I have seen or tried) will require I cut a notch out of the front of the rear trunk. If I do that, I'd like to fabricate a little removable "dog house" to cover the cut out to seal up the rear trunk again.

The problem seems to be that if the dog house is tall enough to clear a generic points type Chevy dizzy (for example), it may be too tall to stow the roof panel.

I'm sure this has been done many times before. What's the solution?

Thanks.
mgp4591
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 20 2018, 05:35 PM) *

I'm currently running a Mallory dual point distributor, mechanical advance only, with a crab cap in my SBC powered 914. Renegade kit. With this set up, the dizzy fits neatly under the front of the rear trunk overhang with no cutting required. I can even R & R the dizzy if I temporarily lower the engine an inch or so.

I'm not crazy about the lack of vacuum advance, however. Any dizzy with vacuum advance (that I have seen or tried) will require I cut a notch out of the front of the rear trunk. If I do that, I'd like to fabricate a little removable "dog house" to cover the cut out to seal up the rear trunk again.

The problem seems to be that if the dog house is tall enough to clear a generic points type Chevy dizzy (for example), it may be too tall to stow the roof panel.

I'm sure this has been done many times before. What's the solution?

Thanks.

Have you tried a GM HEI? It's got a bunch of voltage, more than the dual point without the hassle. I don't know if it's any shorter though. idea.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 20 2018, 09:35 PM) *

Have you tried a GM HEI? It's got a bunch of voltage, more than the dual point without the hassle. I don't know if it's any shorter though. idea.gif

Love the HEI, but the OE ones are actually taller than an OE points type dizzy. Is there an aftermarket one that is shorter? Maybe with a remote coil?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2018, 10:19 AM) *

Thanks! Great pictures. That's what I had envisioned. Even a stock points type dizzy.

It still "looks" to me like the roof panel will not fit in the trunk with this set up due to the height of the "dog house". I hope I'm wrong. If not, can the dog house be made any shorter and still clear the dizzy?
Chris914n6
Might have to take the pad off the front. But, hey, it's lighter.
76-914
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 21 2018, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2018, 10:19 AM) *

Thanks! Great pictures. That's what I had envisioned. Even a stock points type dizzy.

It still "looks" to me like the roof panel will not fit in the trunk with this set up due to the height of the "dog house". I hope I'm wrong. If not, can the dog house be made any shorter and still clear the dizzy?

It is close but the lid still fits in there! beerchug.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2018, 04:45 PM) *

It is close but the lid still fits in there! beerchug.gif

Great! Thanks for your help.
jim_hoyland
Which tach adapter are you using ?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2018, 04:49 PM) *

TachAdapt

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 21 2018, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2018, 04:49 PM) *

TachAdapt

IPB Image

I have a question regarding the 6 tiny switches inside the Adapter.
Which two did you select and did you remove the “jumper” ?
Reason I ask: I helping to set one up on a V8 conversion. So far I tried 1 and 6 ; but no tach readings.
mgp4591
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 21 2018, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 20 2018, 09:35 PM) *

Love the HEI, but the OE ones are actually taller than an OE points type dizzy. Is there an aftermarket one that is shorter? Maybe with a remote coil?

That I'm not sure of... maybe one of the models for another year but I don't know. I looked up these and they might work...

HEI Distributor (3112) by BTP®. With Low Profile Cap. Works with 12 volt system. Distributors are high quality, made to last performance parts. (ebay)

Technical - Lowering an HEI distributor cap | The H.A.M.B. - The ...
https://www.jalopyjournal.com
76-914
Pull the jumper, Jim. beerchug.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2018, 06:22 PM) *

Reason I ask: I helping to set one up on a V8 conversion. So far I tried 1 and 6 ; but no tach readings.

Here are the complete instructions.

Instructions
76-914
Jim, the guy is local and will answer your emails with 24hr's if you have questions. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 22 2018, 07:47 AM) *

Instructions

That helps, I think it needs 1 and 6 ON
I had 1 and 5 ON
Can’t do any testing until thr fuel tank is reinstalled

76-914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 22 2018, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jun 22 2018, 07:47 AM) *

Instructions

That helps, I think it needs 1 and 6 ON
I had 1 and 5 ON
Can’t do any testing until thr fuel tank is reinstalled

Yep, toggle 1 & 6 also remove the jumper. The signal is too weak if that jumper is left in place. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.