Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter Stop Plate Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HarveyH
Converting back from a short shift to a stock shift lever. Any tips or tricks for reinstalling the Stop Plate Springs (Item #13)?
Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Harvey
mlindner
Took me about ten trys, Bend the sprint kinda "C" shaped with the pin only started. As you compress the spring into position (very hard) keep pushing the pin in further using workbench edge. Best, Mark
dlee6204
agree.gif

I start the pin on one side and make the spring into a c-shape and use a small screw driver from the other side. Straighten the spring out and push pin further as I pull screwdriver out.
xperu
I really struggled with this, after several attempts I finally got it . Keep at it, wear eye protection . Mike Kelly
troth
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 23 2018, 03:40 PM) *

agree.gif

I start the pin on one side and make the spring into a c-shape and use a small screw driver from the other side. Straighten the spring out and push pin further as I pull screwdriver out.

The screw driver on the other side is key.

Make sure you put one of the retaining clips on before you start. Lots of curse words if you accidentally push it too far.
wysri9
QUOTE(troth @ Jun 23 2018, 12:58 PM) *

agree.gif

Make sure you put one of the retaining clips on before you start. Lots of curse words if you accidentally push it too far.

So I did this just the other day. I tried to post then but my computer was playing up and would not load the photos mad.gif Anyway all now seems well so here goes. I hated the randomness of the process with screwdrivers etc. and worried about the safety so came up with a process which worked well. Still need an extra pair of hands though. I used a piece of threaded bar (5mm) and a bit of broom handle to make a pull handle (below)which could be installed as per the photo 2. Then the spring can be secured on the rod with the washer (just slightly bigger than the OD of the copper pipe) and nut. Pull the handle to compress the spring with the base plate firmly supported and then have somebody place the half pipe over the spring and hold firmly . The length of the copper pipe needs to be the full length of the compressed spring so it sits within the washer. The threaded rod can then be unscrewed by hand and the pin (with one circlip installed) can be pushed in once the washer and nut have been flicked out with a small screwdriver. It took a couple of goes to perfect the technique but I found it much more controlled. The person holding the pipe down needs to do so firmly as that spring wants to bend out! I did have to do a little levering under the spring to get it positioned perfectly but again as longs the pipe is firmly held down there is no issue.

Good luck!
wysri9
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Jun 24 2018, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(troth @ Jun 23 2018, 12:58 PM) *

agree.gif

So I did this just the other day. I tried to post then but my computer was playing up and would not load the photos mad.gif Anyway all now seems well so here goes. I hated the randomness of the process with screwdrivers etc. and worried about the safety so came up with a process which worked well. Still need an extra pair of hands though. I used a piece of threaded bar (5mm) and a bit of broom handle to make a pull handle (below)which could be installed as per the photo 2. Then the spring can be secured on the rod with the washer (just slightly bigger than the OD of the copper pipe) and nut. Pull the handle to compress the spring with the base plate firmly supported and then have somebody place the half pipe over the spring and hold firmly . The length of the copper pipe needs to be the full length of the compressed spring so it sits within the washer. The threaded rod can then be unscrewed by hand and the pin (with one circlip installed) can be pushed in once the washer and nut have been flicked out with a small screwdriver. It took a couple of goes to perfect the technique but I found it much more controlled. The person holding the pipe down needs to do so firmly as that spring wants to bend out! I did have to do a little levering under the spring to get it positioned perfectly but again as longs the pipe is firmly held down there is no issue.

Good luck!
rhodyguy
You guys are making this a harder job than it needs to be. The pipe is going to restrict the movement of detent plate? One man job. no fancy tools required.
wysri9
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2018, 05:47 AM) *

You guys are making this a harder job than it needs to be. The pipe is going to restrict the movement of detent plate? One man job. no fancy tools required.

The pipe (or half pipe) is only there whilst the pin is inserted. It contains the sideways movement of the spring until it is constrained by the pin.
HarveyH
Thanks for the information. Used a 1/4" pin punch to work from the opposite side. A bit fiddly, but no words I haven't used before; headbang.gif got it back together and reinstalled.

Harvey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.