Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 911 Engine For Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
7TPorsh
So I'm looking at my slightly tired punched out 1.7 and thinking I may want to go the 6 conversion route rather than do the 4 again. Want to price things out a little and if I can make it work, Yahoo!

Through what I know about 6 engines (not a lot) they are pretty much plug and play with a few considerations. i have a 1970 914 so I think I am closer fit than a '73?

I see a couple 2.7 (1976-1978) engines with injection. I see a 2.0, etc. etc. My mechanic says find a 3.0 but I am seeing a big jump in prices when you go over 2.7.

Ideally I would like to find a complete engine that still has life in it. I would rather install a good running engine that has some miles left than buy a shot engine and rebuild it from the git go. Bang for the buck.

I would rather buy here at the world than from an outside party and I know a bunch of you guys have engines and lots of knowledge and you hopefully won't take advantage or steer me down the wrong path.

So if anyone has a complete running air cooled 6; preferably larger displacement I am in the market. Most of you guys have businesses or shops and can get low shipping rates so that's another consideration since I'm in the Los Angeles area; local is best.

I see most sell their engines without induction. I think I would prefer carbs over injection since I think they are just way more sexy. Injection is ok if working and complete. Conversion pieces as well.

What have you?

forrestkhaag
You will not regret going the conversion route verses another anemic rebuilt 1.7 or even at the 2.3 carbed engine that replaced my 1.7, there is no remote parallel to the 3.0-6 now installed in my 71.

I developed a different mindset when I made the decision to convert to a 6. I collected most all of the parts in bits and pieces and deals where I could find them and while my 2.3-4 was running fine, i acquired the SC core in barely running (only needed valve guides maybe) condition for a grand in a shop in Huntington Beach. It was missing the fan shroud but otherwise was complete down to the new plug wires, dizzy cap and rotor... I sold the 911 tin and made my 6 tin out of carbon fiber for 52 dollars... flexible and stronger than the metal version and looks cool (a very important issue) I tore the engine to every nut and bolt (do this yourself and you will learn how and why a torque wrench and very specific basic knowledge and understanding of metallurgy is essential to understanding how air cooled engine differ from their more brutish water cooled brethren.

While collecting parts, I was refereed to a vintage builder of 911 performance engines in the bowels of Los Angles and obtained a three digit flat rate to walk me thru the build process on an engine stand in his shop / which, by the way, had the tanks for cleaning, the space for storing the disassembled engine parts, and most importantly, had the knowledge to guide me thru the process step-by-step. He bought the parts at a discount thru Pelican and insisted on things like Carrera oil fed tensioners, new sprockets and chains, all new bearings and seals - accept the nose bearing (no stress there to speak of) - and we went at it in four two-hour sessions at night in the worst part of LA behind a gauntlet of razor wire and tin siding fifteen feet tall.........

Heads were reworked ported and ploished with new valves, springs, guides etc by a shop in LA.
KEP supplied the Stage II clutch package / all works fine.

Perry Kiel did my wiring harness which was (is) flawless / with excellent support along the way to the installation

Rich Johnson supplied the motor mount and shift linkage rod and accelerator linkage kit / all perfect in form and function/

Bruce Stone was (is) a fantastic resource of parts and knowledge / and had in an old cardboard box a set of oil tank, neck, cap, dipstick (NOS) that I purchased upon dusting off / that and a set of unused headers correct for the 3.0 as well.

Other things fell into place and based on where you live, you are near or on top of huge talent in the 911 engine world.

Above all have fun with the process. Soon you will be changing things just to have something to do......... av-943.gif beerchug.gif
mepstein
You will find more good running 2.0-3.0 sixes on pelican from the 911 guys who go 3.2-3.6 than you will find on 914world.
euro911
Gary, I have a '69 2.0L '6' that I bought from LarryM several years ago still sitting in my garage. McMark removed the (running) motor from Larry's 911 as he planned on going with a 3.2L (along with a total restoration on the car). I realize you may want something larger displacement though.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=277307&hl=
mb911
agree.gif

That's what I would start with that. All the parts arr available. I am 75% to a complete turn key conversion package..

914-6werkshop.com if you need anything.
914Toy
There is a clean 911 2.7 long block on Pelican used parts right now. Will need case machine work (he describes what is needed) but is an economical way to start if you can get a good deal on this one. I have a 2.7 with SC cams, stock pistons, carbs, and crank fire. Fun rocket ship. beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
That 2.7 on pelican is a good deal... if I didn’t already have a 2.7 disassembled and a 3.0 also under the knife I’d be all over it...

Shipping can be much cheaper if you have the seller pallete and drop off at a distribution center and you pick up at a distribution center. I had my 3.0 shipped for under 200 from DE to CA (OC), you need a little luck and a little bit of work, but quality shipping can be had for reasonable rates if you make it easy for the shipper and find a half full truck headed your direction (I got lucky, but I was still looking at under 400 by several other carriers).
mepstein
We can do a good running 2.4 with zenith carbs for $7,500. It will be run on a test stand, have good compression and leakdown and good head studs. No oil cooler, engine tin or exhaust. We can load on a pallet and forklift into a truck.
914Toy
Interesting 3.0 911 engine "bumped" up on Pelican today.
burton73
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jun 26 2018, 09:23 AM) *

I am thinning my herd of donor engines and I am offering this 930/16 3.0 911SC engine for sale. This particular engine was rebuilt sometime in the early 2000's and then shelved for a "future project" and never used, I picked it up about 7 years ago as-is to add to my stock and I've decided to let it go (though I'm sure as soon as I sell it I will need it). Included is the engine, distributor, flywheel, oil cooler, and everything pictured. Flywheel still shows resurface swirls and you can see the intake and exhaust ports are dead clean. Engine is probably be good to run as is but I'd probably upgrade to oil fed tensioners and replace all of the outer gaskets main seals and maybe the rocker seals while it's out and you should have a good little 3.0. All the grime you see is shelf grime......

I did a leak down test when I first bought it and it tested out excellent, I'll gladly perform the test again for interested parties.

Asking $8750 picked up, can pallet and assist with shipping. Located in Los Angeles near DTLA.

Not mine but this is the Pelican ad

Bob B
Mueller
Having driven a friends /6 (modified 2.7) over the weekend it got me wanting a /6 badly until seeing these prices sad.gif

Enjoy your conversion, you are going to love it!
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 26 2018, 02:31 PM) *

I am thinning my herd of donor engines and I am offering this 930/16 3.0 911SC engine for sale. This particular engine was rebuilt sometime in the early 2000's and then shelved for a "future project" and never used, I picked it up about 7 years ago as-is to add to my stock and I've decided to let it go (though I'm sure as soon as I sell it I will need it). Included is the engine, distributor, flywheel, oil cooler, and everything pictured. Flywheel still shows resurface swirls and you can see the intake and exhaust ports are dead clean. Engine is probably be good to run as is but I'd probably upgrade to oil fed tensioners and replace all of the outer gaskets main seals and maybe the rocker seals while it's out and you should have a good little 3.0. All the grime you see is shelf grime......

I did a leak down test when I first bought it and it tested out excellent, I'll gladly perform the test again for interested parties.

Asking $8750 picked up, can pallet and assist with shipping. Located in Los Angeles near DTLA.

Bob B

Bob’s engine would be my first choice. 3.0’s are generally considered bulletproof and his is priced well for a good running engine.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Bob B

Bob’s engine would be my first choice. 3.0’s are generally considered bulletproof and his is priced well for a good running engine.

Yes it does sound appealing and it's local. PM sent. What does the 930/16? mean? Says it's from an SC not a turbo. Sorry I'm obviously not an engine guy.
burton73
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jun 26 2018, 04:29 PM) *

Bob B

Yes it does sound appealing and it's local. PM sent. What does the 930/16? mean? Says it's from an SC not a turbo. Sorry I'm obviously not an engine guy.

-------This is not my Eng. I copied it from the Bird Board word for word. Now if you did use that you would not need to ship it across the country.

If I had this sitting around I would use it in my 1970 extra car here.------ bye1.gif

Bob B
mlindner
Being you have a 1070 914, Bruce Stone can convert your rear five boss hubs for easy 911 rim fitment. As Forestkhaag said, start collecting parts when the price is right. I'm five years into mine, hope this is the last summer without it being on the road/track. Best, Mark
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jun 26 2018, 04:29 PM) *

Bob B

930/16 is the Flash# that is stamped by the factory onto the case , which describes the engine's specs. 930/16 = 1981-83 model year 911SC, USA mkt, 9.3:1 c/r, 180 bhp and 175 lbs TQ. Info from Bruce Anderson's Porsche 911 Performance Handbook.
PanelBilly
If this is true my a running engine that is a great price.
Larmo63
Doing a /6 conversion is not for the faint of heart.

I'm so glad mine is done, and it's an absolute blast. Even the way the car sits with that heavier lump in the back is sexy. The sound, the feeling that you KNOW you have real Porsche power sitting inches from your body is a thrill that can't be beat.

Go for it. We are here to help, even if you need psychiatry during the process.
ClayPerrine
Here is the cost of the 911 ST motor I am removing from my six conversion to replace with the 4.0 Motronic motor.

WARNING: SHOCKING CONTENT

Parts for Current 2.4ST motor. Approximate online price
2.4T Core Engine with Alt, FAN and shroud $10,000.00
2.4S pistons and cylinders $5,000.00
2.4S Camshafts $1,500.00
2.2E MFI Magnesium Stacks $3,000.00
2.4E MFI Injection pump $2,500.00
MFI Injectors $700.00
2.4T throttle bodies $1,000.00
914-6 throttle linkage $250.00
Factory MFI Electric fuel pump $900.00
K&N Watershield Air cleaners $220.00
MFI Fuel filter console and mounting bracket $400.00
Custom Engine wire harness to work with 914 $200.00
Turbo Valve Cover Gaskets (machined for 914) $250.00
914-6 oil cooler (OEM) $725.00
914-6 headers $650.00
Bursch 911 MFI Muffler $350.00
Rich Johnson 914-6 motor mount -engine half $250.00
914-6 engine tin (custom for MFI) $750.00

Parts for custom 914-6 Side shifter Transmission
1971 911 Transmission $650.00
225MM pull type clutch kit for 71 911. $1,000.00
Custom Gear Set - A,F, Flipped ZD, S, ZD $0.00
914 Side shift tail housing and shifter $500.00
914-6 side shifter linkage $150.00
Guard Torque biasing Differential $3,000.00
Billet aluminum intermediate plate $400.00
100MM Drive flanges for 944 Turbo CV joints $250.00

Engine Total $28,645.00
Transmission and Clutch Total $5,950.00
Total $34,595.00

For this price you get everything here, including an oil leak that needs fixed. It doesn't include shipping.

Parts needed to install it in your car.
Chassis half of Rich Johnson Motor Mount $250.00
Oil Tank (OEM) $1,387.12
Oil Lines $250.00
Oil Filter console $160.00
Oil Filler neck and cap $175.00
Dipstick $55.00
914-6 throttle cable $35.00
1975 911 clutch cable $35.00

Installation Parts total $2,347.12

The prices reflected here are approximations based on what I found online. It also does not include all the miscellaneous little parts like bolts, screws, nuts, ball socket joints, and all of the money spent in false starts and errors.

None of this includes my labor over the years to put all this together in a working package.

Doing a six conversion is not cheap, nor is it easy. I probably have a thousand hours over the years in this motor. But once you drive it, it is worth it!

7TPorsh
hmmm....carzy numbers. Starting to re-think this. Maybe just outlaw the 4 banger. Getting into 6 territory is sounding a little like a black hole.
mepstein
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 2 2018, 12:20 PM) *

hmmm....carzy numbers. Starting to re-think this. Maybe just outlaw the 4 banger. Getting into 6 territory is sounding a little like a black hole.

It’s best if you can find someone’s abandoned conversion project but you are correct. Any time you build something from individual parts, it will be pricy. I used to build custom bikes and they would often be 2 to 3X more than similar, off the rack bikes.

It really depends what you want. Do you have to work to a specific budget or do you want what you want no matter what it cost.
Any six will do
Specific size six
Specific six with all the bells and whistles and top of the line auxiliary parts.

Going from a small six to a larger one will (usually) require a front cooler. That can be done with; lines, thermostat, cooler and shroud for a grand or GT hard and soft lines, GT style cooler, custom shroud including shroud and screen on bumper, GT style cut out on steel bumper and GT valance for $5k.

Then there are hidden costs. Does the engine need to be rebuilt. Do carbs or mfi need rebuild. Will you need bigger brakes, bigger CV’s and 5 lug wheels.

It’s good to know the tipping point for wife throwing you out of the house and work backwards.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 2 2018, 11:20 AM) *

Don't be discouraged by my engine/trans combo. A good 3.2 with Motronic won't cost this much, and it is much more enjoyable to drive. You can use your existing transmission with an adapter flywheel, custom shift rod and headers.

You still need the oil tank and all the accessories, and the front motor mount and engine tin.

I did some totaling up on my new motor (something I shouldn't have done). I already have 40K into it and it is not even close to going in the car. But you have to look at it this way. The guys in the new Porsche 911/Boxster/Cayman says "I have a fast Porsche!"

I can say "Mine is faster. And you bought yours. I built mine!" The time and effort spent on the installation makes me feel more personally attached to the car. You can buy a new Cayman. You wreck it, and insurance will buy you one, identical in every way once the insurance is settled.

When you build your car from a $500.00 basket case (that's what I paid for mine) all the way to something you can be proud of there is a feeling of accomplishment that can't be had with just money alone. It is an expression of you, of your personality.

Remember.. it is not about the destination, it is about your journey to get there.

"Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream"

Maltese Falcon
Well Stated Clay aktion035.gif !
Coondog
Where’s Lemmon “probably got the spelling wrong” in this thread. I would hope you have sought out his personal advise. He was my new best friend when I was needing some 914-6 education. Even offered to help with the build in his garage over many, many weekends.
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jun 25 2018, 11:10 AM) *

You will not regret going the conversion route verses another anemic rebuilt 1.7 or even at the 2.3 carbed engine that replaced my 1.7, there is no remote parallel to the 3.0-6 now installed in my 71.

I developed a different mindset when I made the decision to convert to a 6. I collected most all of the parts in bits and pieces and deals where I could find them and while my 2.3-4 was running fine, i acquired the SC core in barely running (only needed valve guides maybe) condition for a grand in a shop in Huntington Beach. It was missing the fan shroud but otherwise was complete down to the new plug wires, dizzy cap and rotor... I sold the 911 tin and made my 6 tin out of carbon fiber for 52 dollars... flexible and stronger than the metal version and looks cool (a very important issue) I tore the engine to every nut and bolt (do this yourself and you will learn how and why a torque wrench and very specific basic knowledge and understanding of metallurgy is essential to understanding how air cooled engine differ from their more brutish water cooled brethren.

While collecting parts, I was refereed to a vintage builder of 911 performance engines in the bowels of Los Angles and obtained a three digit flat rate to walk me thru the build process on an engine stand in his shop / which, by the way, had the tanks for cleaning, the space for storing the disassembled engine parts, and most importantly, had the knowledge to guide me thru the process step-by-step. He bought the parts at a discount thru Pelican and insisted on things like Carrera oil fed tensioners, new sprockets and chains, all new bearings and seals - accept the nose bearing (no stress there to speak of) - and we went at it in four two-hour sessions at night in the worst part of LA behind a gauntlet of razor wire and tin siding fifteen feet tall.........

Heads were reworked ported and ploished with new valves, springs, guides etc by a shop in LA.
KEP supplied the Stage II clutch package / all works fine.

Perry Kiel did my wiring harness which was (is) flawless / with excellent support along the way to the installation

Rich Johnson supplied the motor mount and shift linkage rod and accelerator linkage kit / all perfect in form and function/

Bruce Stone was (is) a fantastic resource of parts and knowledge / and had in an old cardboard box a set of oil tank, neck, cap, dipstick (NOS) that I purchased upon dusting off / that and a set of unused headers correct for the 3.0 as well.

Other things fell into place and based on where you live, you are near or on top of huge talent in the 911 engine world.

Above all have fun with the process. Soon you will be changing things just to have something to do......... av-943.gif beerchug.gif

Hello Ive installed a 3.0 in my 914 is there a proper site that shows tach hook up?
Thanks Phil
Larmo63
Contact Bob Ashlock for the tach conversion box. He is in Fullerton, CA.
forrestkhaag
Never let retail numbers get in the way of today's internet reality...... Almost everything on the list is available for some fraction of the "retail" averages out there / Particularly with World at your fingertips.

I was doing 356 restos when classified adds and the phone was all we had for resources / that and the printed Stoddard catalogue. Retail was all we had if not found at a yard sale or swap meet.

Keep at it and start with a firm goal in mind and you will achieve it.

As Sebastian Maniscalco said in one of his routines.. "give it 130% in everything you do" Nothing less.

I look at old progress-pix along the way and am reminded how much fun it was to do the real 911 thing verses another 4.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.