Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil line leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am running a 911 thermostat and remote oil filter and oil cooler. I figured on going AN fittings since they seem to be abundant and cheap. So I made up some oil lines using SS braided hose and anodized fittings from JEGS. At the time I bought the stuff I could get free shipping and the stuff came pretty much overnight.

Some of the end fittings I used are 45 and 90 degree angles, and they allow the fitting to swivel. I haven't tracked the trouble completely, but it appears that the fittings are leaking at the swivel joints.

Any experience with this sort of problem? Is this inherent to the do it yourself type fittings? They aren't like Aeroquipe in that the fitting doesn't cut into the hose. Instead, the fitting is sort of clamped onto the hose with an outer nut. Are there tricks to assembly that I don't know about?
Like this on my oil cooler:
Click to view attachment
mepstein
That’s the type fitting that I use because Bob Russo (962 mechanic, ect) likes them and they are used on most race cars. Get a koul tool. It makes building lines very easy and I’ve never had any leaks from mine.
914forme
agree.gif As far as the fittings go they are flared so the compress together. I do not do them everyday so I miss place some info at times, but with mine, once I got them tight they no longer swiveled. Do not use thread sealant on the threads as they do none of the sealing.

They should have a matching flare, so check.

AN fittings are 36 degree

You might have one of the other flares

Click to view attachment

If that was the case though your AN fitting should not screw onto the fittings. I have never had an issue unless mine where loose.
worn

Thanks all. They are all matched angles. I will check to see if they stop swiveling with tightening. One of the 16AN fittings was clearly leaking at the seal, so I replaced that quite a while ago. Since I don't plan on doing a lot of this I didn't buy the installation tool, although I did buy a TIG to make the tank. I did sand cast an AN16 wrench. My son was pouring an intake manifold, so I made a quick pattern out of plywood.

Have you noticed any differences between brands?
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 29 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Thanks all. They are all matched angles. I will check to see if they stop swiveling with tightening. One of the 16AN fittings was clearly leaking at the seal, so I replaced that quite a while ago. Since I don't plan on doing a lot of this I didn't buy the installation tool, although I did buy a TIG to make the tank. I did sand cast an AN16 wrench. My son was pouring an intake manifold, so I made a quick pattern out of plywood.

Have you noticed any differences between brands?

No. And I agree with Stephen. They won’t swivel when tight. And they shouldn’t have to be crazy tight.

The nice thing about the koul tool is I could hand the parts to my wife and she could assemble. It’s that easy. When I showed it to Russo, he said he’s been shoving stainless steel thread into his fingers for decades. He loved it.
Krieger
I just mailed back 3 AN 8 fittings to Summit. The threads on them were junk. They were so rough I could only get them half way on a bulkhead fitting. I called over to BAT in Florida and they mailed me the good stuff.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 29 2018, 08:39 AM) *

I am running a 911 thermostat and remote oil filter and oil cooler. I figured on going AN fittings since they seem to be abundant and cheap. So I made up some oil lines using SS braided hose and anodized fittings from JEGS. At the time I bought the stuff I could get free shipping and the stuff came pretty much overnight.

Some of the end fittings I used are 45 and 90 degree angles, and they allow the fitting to swivel. I haven't tracked the trouble completely, but it appears that the fittings are leaking at the swivel joints.

Any experience with this sort of problem? Is this inherent to the do it yourself type fittings? They aren't like Aeroquipe in that the fitting doesn't cut into the hose. Instead, the fitting is sort of clamped onto the hose with an outer nut. Are there tricks to assembly that I don't know about?
Click to view attachment

Maybe just me, but it appears that your fittings are on the bottom of the cooler, if so you'll trap an air bubble in the cooler which will significantly reduce its effectiveness....maybe need to re think your setup.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 30 2018, 04:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Maybe just me, but it appears that your fittings are on the bottom of the cooler, if so you'll trap an air bubble in the cooler which will significantly reduce its effectiveness....maybe need to re think your setup.

I think this is an old wive's tale... Take a look at any old formula car, Formula ford, atlantic, 500, etc. we pretty much all use inverted oil coolers with no sign of reduced cooler efficiencies.
worn
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jun 30 2018, 07:03 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 30 2018, 04:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I think this is an old wive's tale... Take a look at any old formula car, Formula ford, atlantic, 500, etc. we pretty much all use inverted oil coolers with no sign of reduced cooler efficiencies.

Be that as it may, the mounting flanges on the workbench go to the bottom of the trunk, so it is mounted upside down relative to the photo. The fans came from ebay labelled ex-NASCAR. I feel faster.
Mike Bellis
I run Jegs, Earl's and Summit fittings. Never had any issues with leaking. I tried Fragola fittings once and they are crap. Aeroquip is good but spendy.

I mostly use Summit, mainly because they arrive at my house in 2 days from Reno (with standard ground shipping) I don't order Jegs as often because they take over a week to get here from Ohio. I do order them when I need one of their unique fittings. I have AN fittings all over my car and the only real problem I ever have is when I forget to tighten them properly.

You may just have a bad batch. It can happen. I would reach out to Jegs and see if they will replace them for you.
Larmo63
I used the black Goodridge fittings for all of my oil lines. I bought everything from Mesa hose (I could just go pick them up) or Patrick Motorsports.

No leaks so far, one needed tightening.. (knock wood)

The Koul Tools plastic vice thingies are invaluable. I thought making the hoses was fun.
worn
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 30 2018, 11:10 AM) *

The Koul Tools plastic vice thingies are invaluable. I thought making the hoses was fun.

Wow! No wires poking into your hand?
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 1 2018, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 30 2018, 11:10 AM) *

Wow! No wires poking into your hand?

No wires. biggrin.gif
It’s worth the $35 even if you only use it once. They show it being used in a vice but I found it so easy to use, I could attach a line on one end, thread the line through a hole and then hold the koul tool in my hand to attach the fitting to the other end. I’m going to try the chisel and aluminum block method shown on youtube to cut the lines. Looks cleaner than a cut off wheel.
rmdinmd
when I bought a section of braided line at the local speed shop they use an electricians cable cutter to cut it. I got one (cable cutter) at harbor freight to cut mine to size since I wasn't going to use it that often.
Phoenix-MN
[/quote]
No wires. biggrin.gif
It’s worth the $35 even if you only use it once. They show it being used in a vice but I found it so easy to use, I could attach a line on one end, thread the line through a hole and then hold the koul tool in my hand to attach the fitting to the other end. I’m going to try the chisel and aluminum block method shown on youtube to cut the lines. Looks cleaner than a cut off wheel.
[/quote]

I've used the chisel and aluminum block method and it works good, you get a clean cut without the wires sticking out all over and no "swarf" on the inside of the hose to clean out. Just keep the chisel really sharp.
914forme
Yes a cable cutter for large gauge wire will do the trick, and makes a clean cut. But stainless will wear the cutter down faster that copper. Chisel and an AL block just seems like it would be an issue for me. Might loose the tip of another finger. blink.gif Almost the 4th of July and it has been a few years confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.