Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 1.8 does not have second oil control Piston?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
Hello Everyone,

Especially you engine experts. This weekend I started my plans to get an external oil cooler added. So I had the car on jackstands and was looking around. I took out the passengers side J pipe for the heating in prep for oil lines, I looked and inspected the oil pressure valve/piston right under the Oil filter. (The one with the 1" wide big Ass flat head screw driver type indention.) Then I went to check the smaller Oil control pistion and to my surprise it looked like it was factory sealed.

This is the smaller piston and spring that is located between the push rod tubes on Cylinder #1. I have a 74 1.8 block on my workbench to play with and it indeed has a big Hex Type Screw cap that when opened has a spring and pison inside. But on the 75 in the car that screw is MISSING and is looks like a factory plug.

Am I insane... The engine numbers match that of a 75 from the factory. Everything else looks right. Did the factory in 75 or so plug that other Oil control area?

Thanks for any insights to this. I wish I could have gotten pictures, but I was barely able to actualy see it.
JWest
Yes, the later engines did not have the second piston.
Rockaria
QUOTE (James Adams @ Jun 13 2005, 08:30 AM)
Yes, the later engines did not have the second piston.

Cool,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.