Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No fuel coming out of fuel pump.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
73 Porsche 914 Fuel Injected 2.0L....Been setting for a few years. I can turn the key on and hear/feel the electric fuel pump coming on then it goes off. I have an inline clear fuel filter after the pump and there’s no fuel coming out of the fuel pump towards the fuel filter, I have about a half tank of fuel! Whats the problem? Should the pump be kicking off after about 2 seconds. Its a factory fuel pump with 3 outlets. Possibly a pinched line from the fuel tank?
burton73
How long has the car been sitting?

I had jelly in my 6 pump after sitting for 25 years. Not sure when it turned to jelly.

Bob B
UROpartsman
Injected cars only let the fuel pump run 2-3 seconds with key in #2 position, try having it run longer to help figure out what's happening. The pickup in the tank could be clogged after sitting for a few years.
9144me2enjoy
It wouldn’t surprise me. My fuel in my tank actually smells good!
9144me2enjoy
I was planning on checking the fuel tank tomorrow, thanks again.
rhodyguy
Filter should be upstream of pump.
burton73
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Jul 6 2018, 04:19 PM) *

It wouldn’t surprise me. My fuel in my tank actually smells good!

Same as my 6 when I got her sitting for 25 years. A sick sweet smell icon8.gif

Bob B
9144me2enjoy
Whoops my fuel filter is after the pump!
Chip
After setting my '73 1.8 up on blocks, a few weeks later there was this very black, shiny, sticky stuff dripping from under the hoses to the fuel tank. I had no idea where it came from, until I got under there. The fuel lines had rotted away and the stuff was a lovely tar from the fuel tank. That residue could be anywhere. It cost $300 to clean the tank.
worn
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Jul 6 2018, 03:01 PM) *

73 Porsche 914 Fuel Injected 2.0L....Been setting for a few years. I can turn the key on and hear/feel the electric fuel pump coming on then it goes off. I have an inline clear fuel filter after the pump and there’s no fuel coming out of the fuel pump towards the fuel filter, I have about a half tank of fuel! Whats the problem? Should the pump be kicking off after about 2 seconds. Its a factory fuel pump with 3 outlets. Possibly a pinched line from the fuel tank?

Been sitting for a few years is a recipe for fuel system components to quit work. Good luck, but everything that does work can be counted as a bonus.
9144me2enjoy
I finally was able to get under the car this evening and checked the location where the fuel line came through from the fuel tank and headed North towards the engine. I found there was a inline fuel filter before the fuel pump. I disconnected the hose and had fuel flowing out. Tomorrow I was planning on blowing the line out between the fuel filter and the fuel pump or just replace the fuel line. The search continues.
9144me2enjoy
I replaced the fuel filter fron the firewall to the fuel pump. Blew all the fuel lines out. When I turn the key on as mentioned earlier the pump comes on for a few seconds and goes off but was told that was normal. I left a second fuel filter after the fuel pump just To see if any fuel was going out of the fuel pump. None coming out of the fuel pump to the injectors. Shouldn’t There be fuel coming out of the fuel pump with just the key on or does the engine need to be turning over?
Dave_Darling
How is the pump plumbed? Should be: Tank -> Filter -> "S" port on pump; "D" port on pump -> right side fuel rail; "R" port on pump -> Y fitting -> fuel tank & fuel pressure regulator.

I see individual wires on the pump connection. Are they hooked up correctly? I believe the pump may run backwards if you swap the wires.

--DD
9144me2enjoy
Seams to be hooked up properly. I hooked the fuel pump directly to the battery and it works fine! Now I’m not getting fire out of the Coil, pulled coil wire and turned over and not getting fire, although I’m getting juice to the coil. I switched coils still no fire. Just going to be one of those days headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
Check your points then.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.