Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corroded front 911/914-6 hub, this could be scary.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Please inspect your front hubs!

While changing out the rotors and pads on Sandy's original /6, we found the passenger side front aluminium hub badly corroded.

Best guess would be from dissimilar metal contact.

He will be in the market for one good hub , if you have one for sale please PM me.

Drivers side is in perfect condition.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Mike -I’m pretty sure I have a good one that will match that one - with the correct size dust cap. It was the match to the corroded hub I sent you. Maybe battery acid took out one side.

The hub I sent you looked pretty but I could flake off pieces with a screwdriver. This hub looks to have the same issue.

Send me a pic of the hub to mark@markepstein.net and I’ll make sure it’s a match.
If Sandy wants to buy it and wants both hubs vapor blasted, you can always send me the good hub and I can send both of them back once done. I can turn it around in a day.
injunmort
great example of why you paint alloy.
mepstein
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 9 2018, 12:26 PM) *

great example of why you paint alloy.

Well...the origionals weren’t painted and the ones I vaporblast aren’t either. But if you are going to paint, it has to be some sort of epoxy or powdercoat that won’t react to brake fluid. I don’t know why one hub went bad and the other is fine but I don’t think most of our cars will get used like they used to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.