Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DANGER WILL ROBINSON !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
This is the HF big jackstand that's about 5 years old ans used many times until I bought the Quick Jack. Yesterday I picked this one up and for no reason pulled out the white suppory. Instead of staying up it crashed down. On a close look the ratchet pin had worked out preventing the ratchet wedge from engaging.

With the pin out it jams and you think it's holding but with a slight tap it collapses to the bottom crushing your head.

914forme
/Yes that is why I took them all to the local crap yard, did not need anybody getting hurt by this style stand. I have two lifts now, and stands with pins in them, that you put in. Some of the best many I have ever spent in my garage.

Everyone needs to be safe and check their equipment from time to time.
914Sixer
Regardless who makes them NEVER use a jack stand that does NOT have a locking pin.
raynekat
Buy something like these....
They're rated for 6000lb ea I think.
Should be sufficient to take care of any 914. tongue.gif

Click to view attachment
amfab
Apparently, if you have a 914 in your garage, they will start growing out of the floor...
Click to view attachment
914forme
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 15 2018, 02:33 AM) *

Buy something like these....
They're rated for 6000lb ea I think.
Should be sufficient to take care of any 914. tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

agree.gif and exactly the ones I purchased great simple design. Still need to be inspected to make sure they are in working order. Takes just an extra few seconds to put the pin in. confused24.gif

Have fun in the garage and be safe.
mb911
These are ones I built as there os no real fail mode. Thought about actually marketing them..Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
HF is very hit or miss for stuff. Some stuff is surprisingly decent, while other stuff is complete crap. We use a lot of disposable stuff from there like sanding discs, gloves, dust masks, etc, but not too many actual hard tools. Though I have heard very good things about the new Hercules rechargable series of tools.
914forme
Nice Ben I like them, I also like them for mockup situations.

As far as marketing them, liability would be my issue. You and I know they can't be broken with the average car. But someone will try to hold up this thing to change the tire.

Click to view attachment

And I am not talking about the Tahoe / Suburban
BENBRO02
Shouldn't we get a recall going? It could save a life or two!
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 15 2018, 03:57 AM) *

Nice Ben I like them, I also like them for mockup situations.

As far as marketing them, liability would be my issue. You and I know they can't be broken with the average car. But someone will try to hold up this thing to change the tire.

Click to view attachment

And I am not talking about the Tahoe / Suburban

That's exactly why I didn't make them for the retail market.
bulitt
I worked for the Railroad for 35 years. Common practice to rerail minor derailments involves Wooden Wedges and Blocks. I have seen 420,000lb Locomotives entirely up in the air with wheels on Blocks.
I keep 6x6 inch Blocks about a foot long to double up under the car. IMHO it's cheap jackstand insurance.
Pursang
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 15 2018, 06:20 PM) *

I worked for the Railroad for 35 years. Common practice to rerail minor derailments involves Wooden Wedges and Blocks. I have seen 420,000lb Locomotives entirely up in the air with wheels on Blocks.
I keep 6x6 inch Blocks about a foot long to double up under the car. IMHO it's cheap jackstand insurance.

We used wooden blocks to brace crashed and unstable car wrecks back in my fire department days too. Thankfully I never had to deal with any rail cars. unsure.gif
brant
sorry for my LAZY post

but I've wanted to replace my crappy stands in the past and then never got around to it. This thread has motivated me. I will do it!

does anyone have a good, reasonably priced source for 4 "pinned" stands?
the pictured ones above look nice! where are they from?

thanks in advance
brant
michael7810
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 16 2018, 09:07 AM) *

sorry for my LAZY post

but I've wanted to replace my crappy stands in the past and then never got around to it. This thread has motivated me. I will do it!

thanks in advance
brant

Those above look like Esco's and they are pricey around $55 each from many vendors (Amazon, Pelican, Home Depot, etc.)
Mueller
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 16 2018, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 16 2018, 09:07 AM) *

sorry for my LAZY post

thanks in advance
brant

Those above look like Esco's and they are pricey around $55 each from many vendors (Amazon, Pelican, Home Depot, etc.)

Last time I went to the ER it cost me $100, so that might be a decent investment smile.gif
brant
cool...

I have to go to home depot tonight anyways... time to do a bit of window shopping.
bbrock
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 16 2018, 10:07 AM) *

sorry for my LAZY post

thanks in advance
brant

Somebody posted about these a while back here and I now have a set of four. Double locking with ratchet AND beefy pins. I really like them and they are reasonably priced:

IPB Image
https://www.amazon.com/Strongway-Double-Loc...rds=jack+stands
mb911
I am thinking there would very little liability if I sold them as a kit and the end user welded them up? What do you think?
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 16 2018, 01:20 PM) *

I am thinking there would very little liability if I sold them as a kit and the end user welded them up? What do you think?

Maybe you could consider acme threads?
larryM
HF sells a tall stand with acme threads - you could buy & cut 'em down to any size ya like

- or you guys who are real handy with tools can just cut off the top barrel & weld it to a short stand you already own

i use the tall ones under my maxjax lift - had to cut off maybe 4" from the bottom to fit

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 16 2018, 06:12 PM) *

Maybe you could consider acme threads?

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 16 2018, 01:20 PM) *

PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2018, 11:04 AM) *

Somebody posted about these a while back here and I now have a set of four. Double locking with ratchet AND beefy pins. I really like them and they are reasonably priced:

IPB Image
https://www.amazon.com/Strongway-Double-Loc...rds=jack+stands

So, this was an interesting idea. With a minimum amount of effort one could modify their existing ratchet jacket stands by drilling them and adding a pin.
EdwardBlume
Johnny Cochrane.
mb911
Here is the basic kit I was thinking. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 17 2018, 01:55 PM) *

Here is the basic kit I was thinking.

sell them as super heavy duty plant stands. In the automotive section.
VaccaRabite
I've moved to all pin type jackstands. I'm getting rid of all my ratcheting stands.

Zach
914forme
Ben, I like them, precut plasma cutter stuff makes it fast.
mb911
Thanks..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.