Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the Driver Door Card (Panel)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
BFO: Blinding (or Brilliant) Flash of the Obvious

Basically, if I can do it anyone can and like most 914 projects, it is possible to screw it up.
Background: I'm sending the door card from my 1971 to be repaired.

IPB Image[/url]

First remove the two plugs at either end of the door pocket. Fingernails or a plastic spudge will do it. They are a little sticky, I guess so they are less likely to pop out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then, insert an Allen wrench (4mm? Mine are unlabelled!)

IPB Image

orthobiz
There are three screws at the bottom of the door pocket. Remove all three. Do not be surprised if they don't match! The originals either have a washer or a "built in" washer.

IPB Image

The pocket will now come off. This particular car did not have the spring that shuts the pocket lid. If it's there, you'll have to unhook it from the card.

Next, the door handle.

IPB Image

Pop the plastic cover off the round part that rotates against the panel. They vary a bit by year; they have little tabs that snap on, mine came off by hand. A screwdriver there could damage the vinyl! Also, just pull it away enough to get at the underlying screw, overzealous pulling could deform the plastic where the hand knob is located.

IPB Image

A Phillips screwdriver works here. I put the screw back in so I wouldn't lose it.

IPB Image
orthobiz
Next, the inner door latch. Notice all the metal and how the later cars are different.

IPB Image

I used a screwdriver to pry the plastic liner out, all the time worrying that I'd break something. Slow and careful and I was OK.

Here it is partially out.

IPB Image

A Phillips screwdriver inserted at the base of the inner metal.

IPB Image

Metal liner is out. I reinserted the screw.

IPB Image

orthobiz
Now for the most daunting task. Popping the panel out of the door. Brad Mayeur says 8 fingers, dig your nails into the space between the door and the card and give it a quick yank. In another post, boxstr says a flat instrument like a putty knife and give a little twist. Both ways will work.

IPB Image

I suggest find a place where your fingers will fit and pull. In my case, a few of the plastic anchors were missing so it was easy to pick a starting point. Then work your way around the bottom and up both sides.

Pull the door card away slightly and lift up, the panel will now come out. Success!

You can see where the bottom of my pane was missing anchors.

IPB Image
orthobiz
In this pic, I lined up the metal tab with the slot in the white painted door to show how it will eventually go back together. Of course, it's upside down but you get the idea. You'll see it when you take the card off the door.

IPB Image

Good luck.

Paul
PanelBilly
Putting it back together can be a challenge. The nuts that clip into the door frame like to slip out of their spot requiring you to take everything apart. Best to secure them in place with a little spreading of the clip first.
ConeDodger
I’m surprised you used your hands Paul. You ortho guys are all hammers, saws, and screwdrivers usually! av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Mikey914
I can see the problem on the back. Drop me a call if you need any help putting together. I can probably walk you through it.
Mark
Dave_Darling
Great idea running the window winder and door latch screws back into the holes they came out of. If you mix them up, you'll soon be asking why you cannot open your door from the inside....

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.