Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with seals for a custom roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Hi World - I could use some verification of assumptions:

I'm planning to build a permanent roof that, at least as it's designed now (!), will use a steel "frame" structure, approximately like the 916, with a carbon skin bonded to that.

This will be done on a late ('75) chassis with a set of early ('72) doors.

My current assumptions are that there are no "early vs late" issues I need to worry about in terms of sealing around the top, front and rear of the door windows. I know there are early/late differences in the actual door-related seals.

ASSUMPTION: So long as I replicate a place for the targa top-to-window seal to attach, I should be set to go, yes?

Confirmation or correction appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chris

And as I start on this roof, pics will be added as part of my build thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 19 2018, 04:23 PM) *
ASSUMPTION: So long as I replicate a place for the targa top-to-window seal to attach, I should be set to go, yes?

I'm afraid not. Early doors won't seal correctly against a late top and vice versa.

Ask me how i know ...
sad.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 19 2018, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 19 2018, 04:23 PM) *

I'm afraid not. Early doors won't seal correctly against a late top and vice versa.

Ask me how i know ...
sad.gif

Andy - Thanks for the reminder. I had seen that thread and that's why my question. I'm making the top so what I'm trying to understand is if there's any difference in any of the "top of the window to roof" seals.
I can fab the seal "holder" part of the top to put that seal wherever it needs to be.

Or am I missing something else? Sorry to be so dense...
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 19 2018, 05:06 PM) *
what I'm trying to understand is if there's any difference in any of the "top of the window to roof" seals.

Yes, the later seals have an extra lip that helps with sealing the top of the glass but i never got them to work correctly on my early doors.
popcorn[1].gif

PS: I should probably add that i have a late top with late seals and early doors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.