Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine : What to go with ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
Hey Guys ... I'm not sure what engine to go with ... I have two 1.7 engines one may have 2,0 heads .. Not sure thou ... but was looking to either make a good one out of the two or just look for something else .. I would like something with torque and snapy .. But don,t want to get into a big $$$ rebuild .. OPEN to different sudgestions or conbos ..
THANKS
Cupomeat
This is SUCH a broad question, but I'd say that a lot of people will recommend going with a 2056 with 2.0l heads.

This is a sweet spot between fun and price.

A 914 is lots of fun with 125hp...

Good luck!
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
larryM
QUOTE(Beakster @ Jul 21 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Hey Guys ... I'm not sure what engine to go with ...

. But don,t want to get into a big $$$ rebuild ..

show us your "maybe 2.0 heads" - and tell us your budget limits - many here can recite their solutions given those restraints
thelogo
Engine out is not a small project
Expect to spend alot of $ wub.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Beakster @ Jul 21 2018, 05:53 PM) *

I would like something with torque and snapy .. But don,t want to get into a big $$$ rebuild

Im not sure those two statements really go together, especially when you are starting with 1.7 bottom ends.

Also, what do you consider "big $$$" ??

If by some stroke of luck you actually have a set of 2.0 914 heads and by an even bigger stroke of luck they are not totally wasted you might be able to get away with an 2257 kit. I am guessing that would be your best torque per dollar return given how cheap AA Piston is selling them for now.

https://aapistons.com/collections/engine-re...ne-rebuild-kits

You will also need a new cam, and you haven't mentioned what you have available for induction so... even the cheap option is going to add up.
Dave_Darling
If either motor works, that's your cheapest option. Tuning and fettling can eat up a small budget pretty quickly, too.

If they're both worn-out or tired, then you have a lot more options. The cheapest ones are generally in the "stock rebuild" or "warmed-over stock" category. And they depend on what you already have and what condition it's in. For instance, if you have dual carbs or a programmable alftermarket EFI, then a cam change will help top-end power. If you have the stock EFI, then cam changes are much more limited. Or if the 1.7 cranks and rods are completely shot, then getting a 71mm crank (the stock 2.0 type) and rods is a super easy upgrade, as the 1.7 stuff isn't that much cheaper generally. And so on.

So a quick and easy setup for you might be:
- 1.7 bottom end
- 2.0 heads
- 96mm P&Cs
- Stock cam
- Modified stock injection

That should give you a 1911cc motor with decent torque and a bit more zip than a stock 1.7 motor.

If the unknown heads are 1.8 heads, use them but the same recipe should work.

If the unknown heads are also 1.7 heads, consider having them cut for larger cylinders (there are thin-walled 96mm cylinders for 1.7 heads, but they are very very thin and often don't last very long).

If your heads are all trashed, you're looking at a lot more money. It's not that easy to find people to do quality work on Type IV heads any more, and buying the HAM heads is certainly the easy option.

--DD
mepstein
Cheapest option is usually finding a good running engine from someone selling theirs to do a six conversion.
Larmo63

agree.gif

^^^ I agree ^^^

Plenty of take out 2.0 engines show up here if you are patient.

Mark Henry
Budget and your skill level? Pro built or DIY?

A 2056 pro built starts at about $5K/up (USD) just for the long block.
Then add FI/carbs, plus ignition, plus exhaust/headers, paint detail, etc.

If you can tackle the build yourself you can save coin, but you still have to pay for machining, etc.
Beakster
I was told from the PO that the engine was a 2.0 with dual 44 webbers .. The engine is in the car complete BUT not running and seized .. But I dont think it's a 2.0 .. The other engine is a 1.7 but all in pieces in a box .. So I think my options is to look for another eng to put in the car and maybe swap the carbs if they will work out and aren't too much carb for the engine .. I'm New to the 914 4cyl world .. All my other cars were 911s and a 944.. thanks for all the opinons ..i'm enjoying reading them ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.