Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Gauge Lights/Intro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hi all!

My name is Rob and am the proud newbie owner of a 1970 914 that I just picked up!

My question is about a light that is on in the instrument cluster.

The orange light, just below the silver button on the speedo is on and i'm not sure what it means.

Is there a reference somewhere as to what all the different orange lights mean?

Thanks for the help! So happy to finally have one of these!

Click to view attachment
Dion
Could that be a 912 gauge? I’m still checking.
Dion
Top light was usually e-brake, next below should be oil pressure and below
that generator. Colours May have faded. Try to find a 912 manual on line
to verify. Hopefully someone who owns a 912 will chime in.
I believe it is a 912 gauge or very early 911.
Good luck
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
Someone has obviously replaced the stock combo gauge with a different one. Looks like an early 912, 911, or even 356-style gauge with the green numbers.

Best way to tell what it is: Pop the gauge out of the dash. Reach up behind it and push it toward you. If you can't reach it, push the tach out instead then reach in the tach hole and push the combo gauge out.

Look at the wires going to that light. If they're stock wires, the colors will tell us what they are.

--DD
johnhora
1965-66 912 combo gauge

should be a part number at the top of the gauge...just under the glass on the black bezel

tvdinnerbythepool
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info. I will do some research as to how they wired that gauge up, and also buy the correct gauge. I appreciate it! -R
mepstein
You should be able to get some $$$ for the green gauge. A set of three looks awesome in a 914.

welcome.png
johnhora
tvdinnerbythepool...

Take this gauge out and install a correct 914 one.
You can get a correct 914 gauge here...I'm sure someone has a nice one available at a reasonable price.
Take the 912 one and sell it over on the Pelican and Early 911 Registry sites.
It was a 2 year only item and for the 65-66 912 five gauge dash so kind of rare.
Good luck with your 70' 914 and welcome to the "sickness" welcome.png biggrin.gif
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 25 2018, 09:41 AM) *

tvdinnerbythepool...

You can get a correct 914 gauge here...I'm sure someone has a nice one available at a reasonable price.
It was a 2 year only item and for the 65-66 912 five gauge dash so kind of rare.
Good luck with your 70' 914 and welcome to the "sickness" welcome.png biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info and for the welcome. I am already slightly obsessed and family is becoming concerned, haha! I will check in the for sale section for a guage.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 25 2018, 09:41 AM) *

tvdinnerbythepool...

I think it was on both 3 and 5 gauge 65-66 912s, the five gauge just added a clock on the right and some other gauge (often a ambient temp. gauge) on the left. 911 had a similar gauge but with oil temp and oil press. I've never seen a 912 combo gauge with numbers on the temp gauge though.
Dave_Darling
If your car has gauges that all go together well, just keep them as-is. No need to jump in and start fixing things if they truly are not broken!

... at least, not yet...

--DD
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 25 2018, 01:45 PM) *

If your car has gauges that all go together well, just keep them as-is. No need to jump in and start fixing things if they truly are not broken!

... at least, not yet...

--DD

Agreed, to that point, things are making a little more sense. All 3 guages have the green numbers, lines etc.

My guess is someone swapped out the whole unit at some point.
johnhora
well cool...you have all of them...I stand corrected ....keep as is..and now you have some more RPMs biggrin.gif
Jonathan Livesay
That looks cool!
whitetwinturbo
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif .......... green! welcome.png
mepstein
I have all 3 of the correct gauges. If you want to do a swap plus I give you some cash. Let me know, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.