Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Fuchs Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfg3
Have all four of my Fuchs alloys off the car for some brake work Decided to clean the inside of the wheels while they were off. Outsides look great. Got a lot of the brake dust/grime off the insides with Dawn detergent and a scrubby but I'm left with tons of black speckles. Anyone have a way to bring the insides of the wheels back to close to original? I didn't want to get too aggressive with the cleaners. Thanks.
pete-stevers
Sometimes using a polish will take it out.
I keep liquid ice around for those occasions, 3m makes some good polishing compounds too...
mepstein
Brake clean
Chris914n6
Meguires wheel cleaner and a plastic scrub brush works for me. Rinse. Follow with car wash and a sponge. The longer the brake dust has been there the more work it's going to take.
burton73
"insides of the wheels back to close to original?"

do you have a picture? I have seen the back of wheels look bad because the aluminum is oxidized. I do not think that will just clean up. A lot to refinish the backs. I think you can just go with cleaning up the front of the wheels.

Or send them out for refinishing and that costs a lot. Fuchsrestoration.com

RS finish on Fuchs 4 lug

Bob B

mepstein
Brake clean

I think I also used a Brillo or green scrubby pad. Spray the brake clean on the wheel, let it evaporate. Spray it on again and spray it on the pad. Scrub. Repeats until clean.

Brake clean won’t remove anodizing or factory wheel paint.
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 28 2018, 08:55 PM) *

Brake clean

I think I also used a Brillo or green scrubby pad. Spray the brake clean on the wheel, let it evaporate. Spray it on again and spray it on the pad. Scrub. Repeats until clean.

Brake clean won’t remove anodizing or factory wheel paint.

That looks great.

Another project I'd rather not tackle but now that the gauntlet has been thrown down. headbang.gif
EdwardBlume
I've used simple green and finer sandpaper. Goo be gone too.
mlindner
Just did mine for the Parade, first Purple Power degreaser 50/50 and a scrub brush, then plastic razor blade to scrape off tar/weight adhesives, then Scotchbrite with soapy water. Looked like new. If wheel weight adhesive is hard use some mineral spirits and Scotchbrite. Best, Mark
mlindner
Did not take picture of inside of rims, you can see a little. But used the some process on the inside fender wells. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
sithot
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 29 2018, 08:53 AM) *

Did not take picture of inside of rims, you can see a little. But used the some process on the inside fender wells. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

I have a 3,000 PSI hot water (makes it's own) pressure washer that when equipped with a 0º head will cut lumber. It will also remove paint and anything else in the way. headbang.gif Backing off to 15º - 25º makes it very manageable.
mepstein
QUOTE(sithot @ Jul 29 2018, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 29 2018, 08:53 AM) *

Did not take picture of inside of rims, you can see a little. But used the some process on the inside fender wells. Mark

I have a 3,000 PSI hot water (makes it's own) pressure washer that when equipped with a 0º head will cut lumber. It will also remove paint and anything else in the way. headbang.gif Backing off to 15º - 25º makes it very manageable.

We have one at the shop. Diesel powered. Does an awesome job, especially cleaning engines and trans. Gets in all the nooks and crannies and the hot water melts off the tar. No scrubbing needed.
gfg3
Thanks folks. I've got to finish my brake job first but then I'll try Brake Clean and maybe mineral spirits for the tar on the wheels. Luckily I have lots of scrubby pads. I'll let you know if any of this works.
mepstein
QUOTE(gfg3 @ Jul 29 2018, 11:40 AM) *

Thanks folks. I've got to finish my brake job first but then I'll try Brake Clean and maybe mineral spirits for the tar on the wheels. Luckily I have lots of scrubby pads. I'll let you know if any of this works.

Wear gloves and glasses.
gfg3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2018, 11:38 AM) *

Wear gloves and glasses.

Roger that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.