Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Miss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jackba
All,
Looking for some diagnostic assistance for my stock '74 2.0 with FI.
I was driving back to the Truckee area from Reno on Sunday and the car began stuttering. It happened for a quarter mile or so then stopped. I took it easy the last 20 miles. It was a very hot day.

I left Truckee for Sacramento this morning and the car ran great until I got within 25 miles of home when it started missing/stuttering again. It is also very hot in Sacramento.

I've never had this experience in the 5 years since I've owned this car. I always try and drive it in cooler weather but there was a Porsche event in Reno I wanted to attend this past Sunday.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jack
jim_hoyland
Need some details about the motor, fuel delivery, ignition. And, what was the last repair or service ?
Jackba
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 31 2018, 05:05 PM) *

Need some details about the motor, fuel delivery, ignition. And, what was the last repair or service ?

Jim,
Car is stock with original FI (FI harness refreshed and tested by the expert on this site), 50,000 mile 2.0 engine last serviced within 600 miles, rebuilt injectors. Ignition is stock with new wires, coil, points, plugs. New fuel filter. Original fuel pump located in its stock location.
Issue occurred after driving an hour in hot weather.
Jackba
One additional point: while the engine was missing/hesitating I glanced at the volt meter and it held steady.
Jack
Big Len
Was the miss during acceleration, deceleration or steady throttle?
Jackba
Both steady and acceleration, going up a hill.
Jackba
I just discovered that the seal between the engine tin and the body pulled away from the body on the passenger side. Obviously heat from the exchangers can escape into the engine compartment due to the opening. The fuel lines (stainless) are directly above the unsealed area. Could the problem have been vapor lock?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Jackba @ Jul 31 2018, 05:59 PM) *

I just discovered that the seal between the engine tin and the body pulled away from the body on the passenger side. Obviously heat from the exchangers can escape into the engine compartment due to the opening. The fuel lines (stainless) are directly above the unsealed area. Could the problem have been vapor lock?

My 76 2.0 had a similar intermitent miss. Could be a lot of things, but when I pulled the dizzy to check the FI trigger points, I found a small piece of debri behind one of the point arms which moved randomly and jammed the arm. Once the debri was removed the engine has run perfectly ever since. beerchug.gif
r_towle
have you ever cleaned your distributor?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=70988&hl=
Jackba
No. I haven't. Thanks for this this link. I'll get on it.
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.