Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underside has and both trunks have some areas of rust that will need attention
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
"Underside has and both trunks have some areas of rust that will need attention"
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer...14/2050033.html

Understatement of the day ...
icon8.gif

PS: Can be yours for only $8k !!!
wacko.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

raynekat
Wow....that baby is really gone.
Scary how much that would cost to fix it up right.
mb911
Wow .. Hate to say it but probably nicer then what I started with.
billh1963
Interesting "self draining" longitudinal there..... av-943.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 1 2018, 05:45 AM) *

Wow .. Hate to say it but probably nicer then what I started with.

Definitely WAY better than what I started with and really not that expensive to repair. I wouldn't spend anywhere near $8K for that car though!
Front yard mechanic
That bed frame repair sure is durable though! stromberg.gif
914Sixer
That would be a parts car. You could not afford to even start to fix that.
bbrock
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 1 2018, 06:55 AM) *

Disagree. The difference is that this would be a DIY project only. Paying someone to do the work would not make sense, but if you can supply your own labor, it can be done at a reasonable cost. On my basket case, I replace both trunk floors, the entire floor pan, both outer longs, passenger suspension console, engine mount engine shelf battery tray, both sail panels and door jambs, inner wheel well, and patched both inner longs and countless other spots. Cost for materials were under $5K and has been a most rewarding experience. These cars can be great projects for someone looking for a challenge, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $1,500 for a car needing that kind of repair but it could be saved.
johnhora
LOL....$8k

Nothing But Parts!
dlee6204
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 1 2018, 09:41 AM) *

Disagree. The difference is that this would be a DIY project only. Paying someone to do the work would not make sense, but if you can supply your own labor, it can be done at a reasonable cost. On my basket case, I replace both trunk floors, the entire floor pan, both outer longs, passenger suspension console, engine mount engine shelf battery tray, both sail panels and door jambs, inner wheel well, and patched both inner longs and countless other spots. Cost for materials were under $5K and has been a most rewarding experience. These cars can be great projects for someone looking for a challenge, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $1,500 for a car needing that kind of repair but it could be saved.

agree.gif

Great response.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
totally agree with you, AND when finished one has a great driving car!

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 1 2018, 06:41 AM) *

rhodyguy
Money/time ahead and avoiding the rotisserie by buying the 75' being sold by Kelty. Gross diving lights...
Mikey914
They forgot " original correct factory interior"
Dave_Darling
Well, you could continue the theme of "weld in any old metal you have in the shop" to fix the rest of it...

--DD
mepstein
This is the one I just purchased. Special edition - wood floor pan, wood cabinet seat hinges, pop rivet long reinforcement.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 1 2018, 01:23 PM) *

This is the one I just purchased. Special edition - wood floor pan, wood cabinet seat hinges, pop rivet long reinforcement.

that right there might be a great start to a new thread.... "whats the worse P.O. fix or modification you have seen?"!
ClayPerrine
I am friends with Al Zim (owner of Zims Autotechnic). He often talks about the days when the 356 was cheap, and all of them that were scrapped for parts back then. He laments that people are paying big money to restore a 356 that is in far worse shape than the ones he scrapped in the past. I have seen it in his shop. Some of the 356s getting restored are little more than a vin plate and a few rusty pieces of sheet metal.

We need to keep this in mind when we look at a 914 and decide it is scrap. They are not making any more, so the more we save now, the more there will be in the future.

If you have the talent in bodywork, pick up one of these forlorn lost sheep and bring it back from the grim reaper. I would, but I don't have the talent to do auto body work. :-(

Always keep in mind there is a finite supply of 914s out there.
mepstein
Bob Russo used to crew the Holbert 962 team and he said back in those days, when a race car got hit really hard, it was usually trashed. He said there are a couple race car dumps that have loads of historic cars, all burried in the ground and probably paved over.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 1 2018, 02:14 PM) *

I am friends with Al Zim (owner of Zims Autotechnic). He often talks about the days when the 356 was cheap, and all of them that were scrapped for parts back then. He laments that people are paying big money to restore a 356 that is in far worse shape than the ones he scrapped in the past. I have seen it in his shop. Some of the 356s getting restored are little more than a vin plate and a few rusty pieces of sheet metal.

We need to keep this in mind when we look at a 914 and decide it is scrap. They are not making any more, so the more we save now, the more there will be in the future.

If you have the talent in bodywork, pick up one of these forlorn lost sheep and bring it back from the grim reaper. I would, but I don't have the talent to do auto body work. :-(

Always keep in mind there is a finite supply of 914s out there.

Funny this is true. A friend has a parts car (also Olympic blue) that I have salvaged some parts from and we just recently pulled the engine/trans out off. It has the usual bad spots but when pulling the engine I realized that it was in better shape than my car was when I started on it. exterior didn't look as nice but was better shape underneath.
Tbrown4x4
All true. My 71 parts car is being promoted to "project". 5 years ago it was a lost cause, but I kept it because I fell in love with the metallic gold paint.

Great news for Restoration Design!
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 1 2018, 05:41 AM) *

agree.gif
r_towle
Typical northeast car.
Over priced, but the guy flips beaters, and he is trying to make a living.
Far from a parts car in my area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.