Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking front sway bar install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
So I’ve spent a few long hours installing the front sway bar. Before I put the gas tank in can folks let me know if this looks correct? I haven’t bolted it up tight yet. Thanks
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Luke M
Not sure if it's me but the sway bar bushings look odd.
They seam to be pushing out /away from the body.
Did you install them correctly ?
Mikey914
Bushing at the bracket looks backward? Should just be a little end sticking out.
simonjb
Yes, the fatter end is in the inside of the coupling bracket. I pushed the bracket on after installing the bushing with smaller end facing out. I was a bit surprised how much it squished out as well. I can see the fat end inside the bracket when I look through from the gas tank side.
simonjb
Question - should the fat end be first pushed through from the inside of the tank area? I didn’t think so. I put the bushing around the bar and then pushed the metal coupling over the bar until the small end came through. Then when I tightened it up it squished out some more
simonjb
Here are some more picsClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(simonjb @ Aug 4 2018, 12:54 PM) *

Question - should the fat end be first pushed through from the inside of the tank area? I didn’t think so. I put the bushing around the bar and then pushed the metal coupling over the bar until the small end came through. Then when I tightened it up it squished out some more

Sounds like you installed it correctly. Just looks like it's sticking way too far out.
You should be good to go.
iankarr
Mine squished out a bit like that too. Looks like everything is in the right place. Nice job. Did you tighten the bracket bolts together while the JB weld set? Before you tighten everything up, just make sure the bar doesn’t bind and that it’s centered. The shop manual calls for the end of the bar to extend about 3mm past the brackets. Enjoy the improved handling!
bigkensteele
I can't tell if you bracket is plated. If not, I would paint it. Mine weren't plated when I got them from Brad a few months ago, which is why I ask.
simonjb
Yes, I had them plated. And I also set the two brackets with JB Weld overnight after bolting them together. It took a while, but I did get the bar centered. It’s fairly solid. Thanks for all the feedback!
URY914
Where is the rust and dirt?
sholman5
Is the JB Weld good enough to secure the mounting plates to the chassis? Mine should be here this week.
simonjb
Re JB Weld - My car is street use only. I let the JB Weld set up overnight. Some folks think its fine, others, not so much. I will watch it and if I see any movement, I'll weld.
toolguy
The inner bracket should be spot welded in place. . beside the structural integrity this provides, it makes it possible to R&R the swaybar in the future without removing the gas tank. . .
IMHO, JB weld is fine for temporarily setting the plates but my actual experience is the torsional stress on the plates will shear the adhesive. . and the inner plate will fall loose if you remove the 3 bolts. I've personally experienced a half dozen factory installed car's which over time, all ripped the fender sheet metal / bolts loose with just autocross driving on street tires. The inner fender panel is thin sheet metal.
disclaimer:I don't remember how many were stock bars and which ones were upgraded to 19mm bars. .

Just a thought before you button this up. .
iankarr
If you do decide to weld, my offer stands...happy to bring my hobart over and zap it up!
simonjb
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Aug 5 2018, 12:57 PM) *

If you do decide to weld, my offer stands...happy to bring my hobart over

Thanks so much. Your my first call if it moves !
simonjb
I’ve read a few threads on how much the bar should be able to rotate. My bar is very stiff to turn. But everything is as it should be. It’s all aligned and the bushings are correctly installed. But the bar needs a lot of effort to turn. Is this a problem?
Jamie
QUOTE(simonjb @ Aug 5 2018, 04:53 PM) *

I’ve read a few threads on how much the bar should be able to rotate. My bar is very stiff to turn. But everything is as it should be. It’s all aligned and the bushings are correctly installed. But the bar needs a lot of effort to turn. Is this a problem?

My recently installed stock swaybar was quite stiff initially, but squirts of WD40 helped with the break-in during the first few drives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.