Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EJ20 Build Cost?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LanceW3544
Good afternoon!

First of all let me start off by saying thanks for all your help. Over the past decade I have been on several different car forums and this has been by far the most supportive and accepting group. Thank you.

I come from the honda wordl where we are rarely putting in engines from different makes. I grew up on Porsches watching my dad road race in his 912. This is my first porsche and I am stoked to start this project. I am a boost adtict and I am quite confindent that the ej20 it the motor I want to move forward with. I have spent the past 2 weeks searching different builds. I think the hardest choice is detirmining weather I want to use the stock trans or use the subi trans. I am hoping you all could help me sort what options I have in regards to conversion kits kennedy, renegade, ect. Vs. conversion craddles that allow for the subi 5MT. I will most likely purchase a donor car or complete engine/trans/wiring harness ect. So let take the cost of the motor out.

Coversion Kit / with stock trans
Renegade has their kit priced at 2000
What is the cost of Kennedy Perfomace Kit?
Used conversion Kits- Are they round and what do they go for?

Conversion with subi 5MT
FWD conversion 100-200
Internal Dif delete -75
Craddle Options?
Is cold water sill in business
Does anyone else make a custom craddle for this swap?
Axle Options and Cost?
Shifting options and linkage?

Thanks in advance. My gut is tellingme to do the full 5MT swap in the process but all the custom craddle fabrication intimidates.
mepstein
Do the mt5. You won’t save any money with the stock trans and you would have to upgrade the axles and cv’s anyway if you are running over 150-175 hp. Talk to Scott amerson or Stephen/914forme about mounting the engine and trans. There are options beyond a cradle -which can make routing the exhaust difficult. Coldwater has been shut down for a while now but there are other sources for almost all the conversion parts.

welcome.png
sithot
If you come from the Honda world you know Subaru engines aren't the most hearty when it comes to hot rodding. A friend "in the business" of making high performance exhausts has given up on rebuilding engines for his STi. It's cheaper to buy one out of a wreck after it grenades. That's what he does now.

I'd be inclined to do a V8 if I'm going "full bastard". After 60+ years they are pretty much bullet proof even in heightened states of tune.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Here's an STi disaster. Done and done. New engine required.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
You're in Grand Rapids? Come by and let's talk 914s. I'm in the shop all day today (Sunday)

2215 29th St. SE
Unit C-1

I'm sure you'd get a kick out the S2000 powered BMW 2002 in the shop too. happy11.gif And you can probably give me a few tips on that motor. wink.gif
LanceW3544
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2018, 08:31 AM) *

Do the mt5. You won’t save any money with the stock trans and you would have to upgrade the axles and cv’s anyway if you are running over 150-175 hp. Talk to Scott amerson or Stephen/914forme about mounting the engine and trans. There are options beyond a cradle -which can make routing the exhaust difficult. Coldwater has been shut down for a while now but there are other sources for almost all the conversion parts.

welcome.png

Thank you that is good to hear. The cost of the conversion plates are so expensive and I would love to have 5sp vs a 4sp. Also I would imgine that the subi trans would have much cleaner shifting that what I am currently expericing. What is the best way to connect with the people you have mentioned.

In regards to modifying the enging I think I will be quite satisfied with a fairly stock EJ20. In the 914 body it should move down the road quite well smile.gif
76-914
Ant reason you don't want to go w/ a NA 6? EZ30D will get you about 220hp; the R series 242hp; EZ36D 256hp. The later to are drive by wire and require an emulator ($900) to controller the CanBus circuitry. The later 2 employee ALVS, AVCS.The 30D will be the easiest to install. There is also the EG33 which preceded the above mentioned engines but the availability seems to be drying up. Turbo 4's will naturally be faster as the HP will be 75-200 greater. However, the six has a very nice sound when compared to the Turbo 4. Without a doubt run the TY754 series 5MT transmission. You can convert the present pedal cluster to hydraulic for < $80. There is a lot of info on Subaru conversions on this site. GL which ever route you choose. beerchug.gif
JRust
Absolutely do the 5mt. No adapter plate to deal with. Better shifting by a huge margin. Plus easier to get parts for. Yes you need to run aftermarket gauges but you'd be doing that some anyway. There is nobody making cradles at this point. There are plenty of competent guys here building their own though. If you can weld I'd recommend you do that. You can do a firewall mount setup rather than a cradle as well. Just nothing out there really turnkey anymore as far as mounting your drivetrain.

The ez30 is a great setup & less parts to worry about than the turbo 4. If I were to do it again & would probably run the ez30. Less hassle & really good power. Of course I haven't finished my ej20 turbo yet. So we'll see how the 300+hp feels before I convince you otherwise evilgrin.gif
LanceW3544
I am not opposed to doing a ez30 but I know there is tons of aftermarket support for the EJ20 and I love the onset of boost. Such a great feeling. Do people use the stock subi ECU or is this always a mega squirt situation. I am debating between JDM motor or a donor car?
914forme
MT5

Donor Car

Stock Subaru ECU with Cobb Tune if you need a bit more and or maybe E85

I would just look for the WRX with a 5 speed manual, that got stuffed in the rear.

Buy it, strip it, take what you need, might need, want, desire, and move on.

Many a good swap in here, Scott's swap is most likely the closest one to your goal if using the stock ECU.

EZ would be Kent 76-914 who responded to this thread

EG would be Chris

JRust build started which you found
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.