Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Trying to set the timing. I cant get the car to run smooth. I watch the timing mark dancing around. it moves back and forth about 3/4 inch. Also I my idle speed is F*&%ed up. I have the idle speed set to about 1800rpm, when I move the car the idle speed goes way way up (throtle cable not stuck). If I turn the car off and then start again the idle speed goes to around 1800.
xsboost90
according to the manual, the timing should be set while running the motor at 3500rpm at 27degrees, there is a mark on the flywheel that will line up w/ the notch in the inspection hole.
davep
Idle should be less than 1000.
Timing, the vacuum lines to the distributor are disconnected.
Sounds like your distributor may be worn out or needs servicing.
Are you sure the throttle cable is not interfering with the clutch cable up near the pedals. It is easy to get one wrapped around the other. If you depress the clutch and release does the RPMs change?
Bleyseng
typical worn out dizzy shaft symptoms. Get bushing pressed in or source a rebuilt.
You will be amazed how it runs once you get that fixed.
solex
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 14 2005, 04:45 AM)
according to the manual, the timing should be set while running the motor at 3500rpm at 27degrees, there is a mark on the flywheel that will line up w/ the notch in the inspection hole.

Just a quick update the timing should be set to 27 BTDC at 3500. I recently tried this but cannot find the mark on the fan wheel...
Rockaria
If you don't have a mark at 27 degrees is easy to find the area that represents 27. It just to the right of a large metal part and before the first fin in the area. The image below has references to all marks and such for any type 4 fan not just the 1.8.

user posted image

Just zip the trottle a few times and it will become clear! Its easy to count the fins and know where its at. smile.gif
joeav8tor
on the 2.0 the 27 degree BTDC is a red mark, rpm should be at 3500 when setting it.
Joe
Joe Bob
Don't discount vacuum leaks...
jfort
that is a great pic/drawing, Rocharia! I'm impressed! Can you do one like that for a six?
Rockaria
QUOTE (jfort @ Jun 14 2005, 12:17 PM)
that is a great pic/drawing, Rocharia! I'm impressed! Can you do one like that for a six?

I have no idea what a six looks like. You sketch it out, send me the simple drawing, and I can do it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jfort @ Jun 14 2005, 02:17 PM)
...Can you do one like that for a six?

it's not needed for a /6 - the timing marks are on the flywheel...
Joe Ricard
Lemmeno if you need a dizzy. I have a 1.7L dual vacuum unit. No I don't know if it will work for a 1.8L. But it will work for a 2.0L with D-jet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.