Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An interesting experiece with the CHT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
What happens when the CHT fails with Megasquirt. The warm up enrichment defaults to the value assigned to -40 degrees. In my case it was 240% enrichment.

One moment the engine is running fine the next it quits. There was a big cloud of black smoke. I take it out of gear and coast to the side of the road. I tried to restart it but it was frozen. ohmy.gif So, I get out to look for the big puddle of oil. Nothing, I look at the top of the engine and it's fine but I smell gas. Luckily I was close to home so I hump it and come back later with the computer. The coolant temp reads -40 so I knew it was flooded. I reset the -40 bin to 130 and it reluctantly fired. By the time I got home it was fine.

Tommorrow I'll change the oil and put in a spare CHT.

Dave
Joe Bob
Too bad ya can't make a rheostat that you can dial in the outside temp for start up or cockpit adjustment when you read anothe cockpit sensor....hmmmm, another flash back/brain fart....never mind....
dmenche914
You mean an electronic version of a manual choke??? Cool!!!

I miss the old chokes, My 58 VW had one, the most recent car I can think of with a manual choke was my parents Honda Civic CVCC I think it was about a 1978 year model, I believe they went to auto chokes after that. it was a strange car, last car in California that did not have a catalyst, hence did not require unleaded. It had a third intake valve, and a little pre-combustion chamber in each head. It burned much cleaner with this head design (the CVCC is Controled Vortex Combustion Chamber), and hence met smog requirements without the need for a catalyst. All the other new cars in California already had to have Catalysts, which started on 914's in 1975.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.