Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's SUPER IN LAW up too ............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cary
Watching Jack yesterday I was thinking I should start a thread with what he's working on. Seems like its my mission in life to keep him occupied with projects. I know for certain that these little cars we all love have lengthened his life.

Friday August 9th. 2018
After rummaging around looking for a couple parts for Mike (Warpig) I run across the shifter piece of engine tin for my side shifter 1.7. Hmmmm. Matt has had a beautifully painted/powder coated piece laying on his stash of parts. But the tunnel portion is up side down. Hmmm. I've got a few power tools. So I ask Jack, what do think can we cut out the tunnel and flip it over? Off he goes ......... Oh yeah it's 92 degrees in the shop.

Here's where we start.
Click to view attachment

Tuning up the pieces so they can be welded. That's where we'll start this am.
Click to view attachment

And yes, I know this will have a sad ending some day .............. but for the time being I'll let everyone else enjoy his work.

bbrock
Thanks for starting this thread. I've never met the man but he is an inspiration and I often wonder what he's up to. Looking forward to many more posts here.
tygaboy
Awesomeness to see Jack back at it! cheer.gif
914forme
Nice to see.

Realistically we will all have the same ending.
Cairo94507
I truly appreciate seeing him working on our cars. beerchug.gif I believe without purpose in life we just die.

My father-in-law is going to be 93 in January and we just took him to the Gold Country to a nice remote cabin home for 4 days to just relax, have good food and enjoy the surroundings. He is still mentally acute but his body is failing him and he has a hard time walking. Hearing is a little problematic too as he refuses to consider a hearing aide. rolleyes.gif

Oh, he drove 30 miles to get to our home so we could leave and the drove home when we returned. unsure.gif
EvilOlderBrother
Since the folks here have a COTM, Could you invent/establish and vote for

Father In Law of the Month/Year

I know who I would vote for!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 10 2018, 05:05 PM) *

I truly appreciate seeing him working on our cars. beerchug.gif I believe without purpose in life we just die.

My father-in-law is going to be 93 in January and we just took him to the Gold Country to a nice remote cabin home for 4 days to just relax, have good food and enjoy the surroundings. He is still mentally acute but his body is failing him and he has a hard time walking. Hearing is a little problematic too as he refuses to consider a hearing aide. rolleyes.gif

Oh, he drove 30 miles to get to our home so we could leave and the drove home when we returned. unsure.gif

Mental acuity has been shown to decline in the hearing impaired. On the other hand, he’s 93 as you said, and hearing aids are $7-8K. His generation is devoutly practical for the most part. So... smile.gif
RenoRoger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 10 2018, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 10 2018, 05:05 PM) *

Mental acuity has been shown to decline in the hearing impaired. On the other hand, he’s 93 as you said, and hearing aids are $7-8K. His generation is devoutly practical for the most part. So... smile.gif

A decent hearing aid can be had at Cosco for around $2,000.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for sharing Cary, our visit to your shop was really cool !
Cairo94507
Believe me we have offered to get him hearing aides and he won't even consider it. That does not keep us from trying though. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 10 2018, 07:12 PM) *

Believe me we have offered to get him hearing aides and he won't even consider it. That does not keep us from trying though. beerchug.gif

Because he doesn't need hearing aids, everybody just needs to speak up a little and stop mumbling!
Cairo94507
Exactly. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
'If you talk to the back of my head I'll never hear you.' Welcome to MY world! Makes for a good excuse.
cary
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 11 2018, 05:47 AM) *

Because he doesn't need hearing aids, everybody just needs to speak up a little and stop mumbling!

I got the same problem. Jack has hearing aids but refuses to go and get new ones. Too much hassle.
His are free, government Work Comp. But lots of paper shuffling.
50 cal anti aircraft squad leader in Korea. Project Engineer for Federal Highways.
Heavy machinery, plus lots of blasting.
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 11 2018, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 11 2018, 05:47 AM) *

I got the same problem. Jack has hearing aids but refuses to go and get new ones. Too much hassle.
His are free, government Work Comp. But lots of paper shuffling.
50 cal anti aircraft squad leader in Korea. Project Engineer for Federal Highways.
Heavy machinery, plus lots of blasting.

My father in law was an anti aircraft gunner. I was never sure if it was his hearing or he was just ignoring me. biggrin.gif
cary
Here's Mike and Jack loading up Mike's 1981 ROW SC tub that's heading to Rothsport.
Click to view attachment
Jack's unraveling the manual come-along. I went inside and grabbed our retreival electric winch. He thought it was a home.

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
God has a special garage for 914 lovers beer.gif keep this thread going cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
worn
Just remember that heat is a big cardiovascular stress. He should watch for light headedness. Neighbors used to fish my dad out of the bushes in Seattle cause he insisted on using a push reel mower in hilly Fremont, Seattle. At 90.
Visiting my own superinlaw in north bend this week, but she only worked in a sawmill.
Someday I hope to have tried to live up to them, but it takes a lot of work.

Thank him again for my trunk latch. Donna just told her mom about it today in passing.
cary
He's really cautious. His Fit Bit is on him at all times.
I'll take a shot of his new easy chair at the shop on Thursday.
cary
While I was helping Mike finish up his car for his journey to Arizona. I pulled the seats out of Matt's car for Jack to do a little seat mount rail tuning.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I did find one of the mounting holes on the right seat was stripped out. So I tapped it out to 7mm. Ran to Ace for a couple 7mm * 20mm bolts. 1, I painted the bolt head blue, 2, the head is 11mm. Gooder as new.

cary
I've been holding out on you guys ...............
His next project was the fire extinguisher mount for Matt's car.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

tygaboy
Proving yet again that keeping active and having interests is a secret to a long and happy life. Hope to see you both again soon.
cary
Next he build me a test tube rack out of some scrap oak.
Test tubes will be for dipping old wiring connectors. I need to tinker with the witch's
brew.
Click to view attachment

In the mean time he split a 1/2 of wood with the wood splitter. Winter wood supply is all in.
cary
Last week he created a new shifter protection loop for inside the tunnel.
Click to view attachment
cary
Last night he started making patterns for the bulkhead repair / reinstall.
It got pretty tore up coming out. So I'll need to recreate the end pieces.
Job one. Matching up the bulkhead to the cowl lip.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 20 2018, 08:00 AM) *

Proving yet again that keeping active and having interests is a secret to a long and happy life. Hope to see you both again soon.

He's come leaps and bounds in the last 60 days. But he's still cautious. When I don't hear or see him. I'll find him in his easy chair in the other room. All good .............

Heading back out there in a few minutes. ................... He's walking to the bank to use the ATM. 10 blocks, there and back.
FourBlades

Super In Law is right! first.gif

I have enjoyed following his work on your other threads.

John
cary
Here he is cleaning at Marcus's work party.
Click to view attachment
cary
Here he is adding 3/8" spacers to raise the frame bench.
Click to view attachment
cary
Last weekend here he is loading our project car onto the new chassis rack.
Click to view attachment
raynekat
Great to see Super Duper in Law up to his old tricks again.

Nice rack there too.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for sharing Cary; your shop is so impressive, glad I got a tour at the WCR.
cary
Saturday he was helping with the rebuilding of Taylor's chassis ties.
Click to view attachment

This morning he's heading off to southern Oregon with one of his buddies on a road trip.
They're going to re drive some of the roads they built in their careers with Federal Highways as Project Engineers. Sounds like no real plan. Plans to be back on Saturday.

seanery
pray.gif pray.gif wub.gif beerchug.gif
cary
Here's Super In Law continuing the work on Taylor's chassis brace / tie.
Click to view attachment
2mAn
I love this forum because of awesome stuff like this.
napasteve
I noticed in your post #33 what appears to be a Peter Wright anvil very similar to mine:

Click to view attachment
cary
Here he is working on the Christmas tree ................

Click to view attachment

raynekat
Money shot! biggrin.gif
cary
Here he is cleaning up our new to us commercial blasting cabinet.

Click to view attachment

cary
Here he is working on our suspension console tie plates. Putting together a set for the left side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Here he is working on the mock up for our engine drop / test run stand.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Something like this, but narrower so we can drop the engine on it. It will be Super In Law customized for sure.
Click to view attachment

914Sixer
Nice work
cary
I feel like I've been neglecting you guys. I post most everyday on Instagram.
#MiddleMotors
Pretty much chronicle Jack's exploits along with projects at MiddleMotors.

Here he is in July finishing up the tuning of the left rear qtr. panel on Taylor's chassis.
Click to view attachment
cary
Then this summer we painted the old farm house after 30 years.
Plus we resided the front. Some portions of that wall were from the original homestead
built in the late 1800's.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
After 2 month time out. Me prepping the Rothsport Red Sled and Desert Flyer for our
class winning NORRA 500 race.

Here Super In Law is creating fixture pieces for pre drilling the cases for pipe plugs.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Now hes working on our combo engine drop / run stand.
After our test drop I think we'll build two or three. One run stand. Two drive train storage dollies.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Welds .............. forgot to turn on gas. rolleyes.gif

Still cooking at 89 1/2 .................
johnhora
It just doesn't get any better than this.....He's my Hero.. first.gif
hell most folk's welds with gas look like those.
Didn't he tell you they were just test welds no need to waste gas smile.gif
cary
QUOTE(johnhora @ Nov 24 2019, 05:06 PM) *

It just doesn't get any better than this.....He's my Hero.. first.gif
hell most folk's welds with gas look like those.
Didn't he tell you they were just test welds no need to waste gas smile.gif

No, but good answer. His answer. We have a few grinders to fix that. LOL.
tygaboy
We need Super-In-Law t-shirts. Seriously.

Big Holiday season hug to Jack, from all of us!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.