Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Switch Wiring/Fog Lamp Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hi all,

Looking for some help with my headlight switch and fog lights. I swapped my headlight switch out with the correct part #. It had a bad switch from a VW.
I drew up the wiring from the manual shown below.

My car didn't match it 100%, mostly pole #15. I didn't have a red/white or a red left over. I did however have a jumper wire attached from the battery #30 pole, I plugged that into #15 and got the headlights working. Does that jive with you guys?

The issue I'm having is with the fog lamps.

Headlight switch in and off - No Fog Lights = Correct

Headlight Switch 1 notch out - Running lights ON and Fog Lights turn on when asked to = correct

Headlights all the way out - So...I pull it all the way out and jiggle the switch a little and the headlights pop out and turn On, Good. However, when they do, the fog lights shut OFF even when selected on... This is where i'm a little lost...is something grounding out? Is it yet another bad switch? If I jiggle the switch and the headlights shut off, the fog lights turn back on. Both won't stay on at the same time.

I replaced both relays as they were bad and I believe these to not be the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!
JeffBowlsby
That is the correct function. Think about it...in dense fog, you want fog lights on to light the road under the fog, and not the headlights on which just light up the fog.
oakdalecurtis
Ok TV, here's the deal. The stock setup is that the fog lights should be able to go on AS LONG AS THE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON LOW BEAM. If that is the case, then when you switch your headlights to high beam, the fog lights will go off. That is because high beams in fog is a no no, too blinding to the driver. That said, I would suggest doing what I did. Using a new relay, rewire the hot lead to the fog lights directly to the fog light switch, independent of the headlight switch. Why do this you ask? Because then you can operate your fog lights on dreary days as Daylight Running Lights to increase your visibility, without your headlights having to be up. I like this setup much better than the stock rigamarole. cheer.gif
tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 10 2018, 11:17 AM) *

Ok TV, here's the deal. The stock setup is that the fog lights should be able to go on AS LONG AS THE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON LOW BEAM. If that is the case, then when you switch your headlights to high beam, the fog lights will go off. That is because high beams in fog is a no no, too blinding to the driver. That said, I would suggest doing what I did. Using a new relay, rewire the hot lead to the fog lights directly to the fog light switch, independent of the headlight switch. Why do this you ask? Because then you can operate your fog lights on dreary days as Daylight Running Lights to increase your visibility, without your headlights having to be up. I like this setup much better than the stock rigamarole. cheer.gif

Maybe I'm on high beam then? I just got the car so I'm still figuring it out.
Next dumb question....Where's the high-beam switch?!
Thanks again!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Aug 10 2018, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 10 2018, 11:17 AM) *

Maybe I'm on high beam then? I just got the car so I'm still figuring it out.
Next dumb question....Where's the high-beam switch?!
Thanks again!

Left stalk, pull
tmc914
Sometimes the little blue light on the display is hard to see. Had my high beams on when I first got my car and didn't know until someone here mentioned how dim the indicator light can be. Just pull back on the turn signal stalk and it will click over via relay. Pull back again to switch back.
Rob-O
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Aug 10 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Sometimes the little blue light on the display is hard to see. Had my high beams on when I first got my car and didn't know until someone here mentioned how dim the indicator light can be. Just pull back on the turn signal stalk and it will click over via relay. Pull back again to switch back.

That's true. It's not the bulb that's dim, though. It's that the little blue piece of plastic has degraded to such an extent that very little light can get past it. Go to Staples and buy some hanging folder tabs...the see-through kind. They come in colors. Guess which colors...red (fuel low level warning lamp), yellow (turn signal indicator), blue (high beam indicator) and green (running light indicator).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.