Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to start the SIX...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kerrys914
wink.gif No smoke (much much less). clap.gif I took it for a few runs and it seems to have stopped. Up until then it has just idled with a few revs up to 5000rpm with no load.

I am looking for a replacement filter. Seems like K&N are nothing but trouble and I should get rid of them. I just need to find a paper filter to fit into the weber water shields.

beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
Bah, K&N is fine for an application like this, just as long as they are cleaned of crud and oiled properly. Not like you're going to drive it through a dust storm or have a super dirty engine bay right?

Could find some high K&Ns or do like '2.7Racer' did on this thread:
user posted image
PP thread page 7
Trekkor
Glad to hear you are getting things sorted.

Your troubles sounded just like mine during my first week.
Check the dwell angle if you still have points.
Being slightly of acted like a rev limiter on my motor, keeping me below 5000rpm's. I like 7300 better wink.gif

Get a Pertronix Ignitor for your dizzy if you can.
Mines been flawless.

I like the sound without air filters better, too boldblue.gif

KT
Kerrys914
wink.gif Interesting

I saw a 5" tall filter on the K&N site. I'll need to measure the engine lid clearance. I know I had to remove the OEM rain tray to close the lid.

I am just surprised more haven’t had any issues since everything I have for an intake standard stuff. I will first clean up the filters and see if that helps.

Kerrys914
KT, how tall are your filters? Any issues when driving in the rain (Well have you been cought in the rain yet?)

I am running a Crane setup XR3000 and a PS-91 coil...NO points biggrin.gif

Trekkor
clean up the filters

Way to go...Easy too.
I line a five gallon bucket with a garbage bag, add some dish soap and water. Drop in your filters and agitate.

Gently rinse and shake them out. Leave 'em out in the sun all day, oil and re-install.

I do it every three months ( no engine tin dry.gif )

KT
Trekkor
how tall are your filters?

I will measure them if you like.
They are the ones that came with my rain-shields that I currently am not using.

Remember the super tall K&N's that came with my motor?
I still have those. I dont think they will fit in our cars, though.

KT
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 22 2005, 01:37 PM)
Remember the super tall K&N's that came with my motor?
I still have those. I dont think they will fit in our cars, though.

i bet they'll fit my 911 ...

if you want to recoup some of your expense, let me know what you'd take for them...
Kerrys914
No need to clean them mad.gif I guess the PO never ran velocity stacks wacko.gif

Anyone need a set of 2.25" high K&N filters
goose2
quick and dirty solution....shorten the stacks? confused24.gif
Kerrys914
Since I need new filters what is a good set to get? K&N, foam filter, or a paper?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Sep 22 2005, 05:50 PM)
Since I need new filters what is a good set to get? K&N, foam filter, or a paper?

in the very near term, i can loan you a factory air cleaner housing, and by probably Monday, the OEM-style K&N filter cannister to fit it.

for a dual-style like you have, the ITG's Pegasus Racing sells look very nice. i may still wind up using those - i donno what i'll use, exactly. that's why i'm trying to get Trekkor to sell me his tall ones :-)

i think for a Q&D short-term solution, you could get some particle board or Masonite and just make about 1/2" "spacer" to raise the base of the filter; you'd need longer hold-down towers, of course...
Kerrys914
Thanks for the offer but I have the OEM canister sitting on my shelf..Not a big fan of that icon8.gif air filter assembly. I wouldn't beed doing alot of driving this weekend anyhow.

I'll try to get a set ordered tonight and I should have them by next weekend. I woncder if a local speed shop would have anything unsure.gif

CHeers
sixnotfour
Kerry the Air Cleaners you have are a PMO set up for a 911 with air conditioning . (Short)
The kit also comes with short stacks , which you obiviously dont have.
Glad see its a simple Fix . burnout.gif

you will also need the longer studs. I have the short stacks , but you will be better off with the tall Air Cleaners/Stacks
Trekkor
i'm trying to get Trekkor to sell me his tall ones :-)

Rich, you have been so helpful in the past with my Weber questions. PM address info and they are yours. smilie_pokal.gif

Kerry, i believe HPH has them in stock.

KT
J P Stein
Damn, that'll do it laugh.gif
Never seen that before.........nice to see that Jeff has.
I like ITGs, but they are no good for the rain.
Kerrys914
I know..I NEVER thought to check the height of the filters. headbang.gif I tore my carbs apart and tried everything BUT. I am glad i took it for a spin without the filters on... Dumb luck I guess.

The K&N filter listed is 3.25" high. I would like to have closer to 4" but I don't see that size listed.

K&N filters are $30/each + shipping + oil

driving.gif driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Sep 22 2005, 02:04 PM)
Thanks for the offer but I have the OEM canister sitting on my shelf..Not a big fan of that icon8.gif air filter assembly. I wouldn't beed doing alot of driving this weekend anyhow.

I knew something had to be screwy! I've sold about ten sets of watershields without any problems. If you go with taller air filters, you'll need taller standoff studs to mount the top hat.

Actually the factory aircleaner assembly has very good flow, it just doesn't always fit just right in a conversion. There is a common mod to the snorkle of the factory aircleaner that improves intake velocity.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (9146986 @ Sep 22 2005, 06:35 PM)
There is a common mod to the snorkle of the factory aircleaner that improves intake velocity.

What mod would that be?

Glad to hear my hunch was right (there's a first time for everything, haha). I'd say go with the higher filters or stock box modded. I think the stock-style airbox looks kindda cool if it's painted/polished up to look like new. Very sleeper biggrin.gif

I agree, there should be a 4" K&N, but you can always do a spacer for the filter to make it all fit nicely...whatever you do, glad to hear it's an easy fix. You'll be blowing everyone's doors off next cookout!
Root_Werks
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Sep 23 2005, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (9146986 @ Sep 22 2005, 06:35 PM)
There is a common mod to the snorkle of the factory aircleaner that improves intake velocity.

Yes and no, you can cut the round opening bigger which helps. But it is still restrictive compared to simple K&N set ups. I have a stock set up on a set of 46's right now. With the air cleaner top on, if you stab the throttle fast and hard, you can actually see the housing suck down and make a funny noise. Mine is a later plastic set up. I have a set of K&N's I will be putting on this weekend.
ArtechnikA
the intermediate approach, which i am using on the 911 right now, is to use the cylindrical OEM-form K&N element in the stock housing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.