Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: L-Jet system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
malcolm2
Just feeling out the group. Wondered if there was anyone removing an L-jet. Or if there were spare parts lying around. Kinda like a pay-it-forward thing. I have been on both ends of that deal. That is what most of us do from time to time.

I picked L-Jet cause that is what I have on my 75. I suppose I could learn the D-Jet system too. My bus has a 1.7 TIV.

Throw out some offers, let's see what is out there.

Thanks
Alapone
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 15 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Just feeling out the group. Wondered if there was anyone removing an L-jet. Or if there were spare parts lying around. Kinda like a pay-it-forward thing. I have been on both ends of that deal. That is what most of us do from time to time.

I picked L-Jet cause that is what I have on my 75. I suppose I could learn the D-Jet system too. My bus has a 1.7 TIV.

Thanks

Doesn’t help you I’m sure but I have a d jet system I’m looking to get rid of.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Alapone @ Aug 15 2018, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 15 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Thanks

Doesn’t help you I’m sure but I have a d jet system I’m looking to get rid of.

I'll check for some posts and ask around to see. Not sure why, but the L-Jet was used on the 1.8 engines and the D-Jet on 1.7 and 2.0. I think the 73+ buses use L-jet on the 2.0. Again, I will study up and reply back. Maybe someone will chime in here.
Thanks,
Clark
jim_hoyland
I have a few parts. A nearby member converted to carbs and left me with the 1.8 L-Jet FI; i’ve Used a few of the components. I can shoot a pic and email you (need an email addy)
Mueller
I've installed the 1.8 L-jet stuff on a 2.0 and it ran great.
jcd914
I have some L-jet parts, not sure what all is there but depending on what Jim has I may be able to fill in some gaps.

IMHO L-jet works best on something other than a stock 1.8.

I have installed L-jet on both 1.7 and 2.0 engines and it worked better than any stock 1.8 I ever drove.

Stock 1.8 had really low compression and it made the engine and system really sensitive to vacuum leaks, particularly at idle. Too lean at idle and you get intake backfires that ruin your AFM.

IMHO, L-jet is a newer and better FI system that D-jet.

Jim
malcolm2
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 15 2018, 07:34 PM) *

I have some L-jet parts, not sure what all is there but depending on what Jim has I may be able to fill in some gaps.

I have installed L-jet on both 1.7 and 2.0 engines and it worked better than any stock 1.8 I ever drove.

Stock 1.8 had really low compression and it made the engine and system really sensitive to vacuum leaks, particularly at idle. Too lean at idle and you get intake backfires that ruin your AFM.

Jim

interesting. I made my 914 1.8 engine into a 1911 with a cam from type4store and a recommended CR of below 8. I do experience idle issues and sensitivity to vac leaks. So how low a CR are you talking?
djway
Looking for L Jet parts myself

Anyone know the differences between a bay window and 914 control box programming?
jim_hoyland
Here are pics of what is available I may have a few additional small parts, but this is what I could see.
AFM not included, but they available used or reman

Asking $500 + shipping
malcolm2
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 15 2018, 11:00 PM) *

Looking for L Jet parts myself

Anyone know the differences between a bay window and 914 control box programming?

Good question. But i would ask why would there be a difference. I am sure there is tho.

popcorn[1].gif
djway
I would think that the motors are going to be expected to do different things ie heavy push and light higher rev???

That FI system is missing a major component if it is L Jet
malcolm2
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 17 2018, 03:06 AM) *

Let's play that game.

I see 2 parts missing......

Dual Relay, and the 4 little cigarettes. rolleyes.gif
djway
AFM
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 17 2018, 06:17 AM) *

Let's play that game.

Thanks for noticing: I have the resistor pack and a dual relay. The AFM needs to be sourced; peeps that converted to Carbs are good sources
jtprettyman
Clark -
I'm 95% sure I'll be going with carbs (and a different motor) on mine. No guarantee anything is fully functional (other than the throttle body!), but you are welcome to the FI setup from mine.
djway
QUOTE(jtprettyman @ Aug 17 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Clark -
I'm 95% sure I'll be going with carbs (and a different motor) on mine. No guarantee anything is fully functional (other than the throttle body!), but you are welcome to the FI setup from mine.

If Malcolm doesn’t want it I am very interested.
jcd914
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 15 2018, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 15 2018, 07:34 PM) *

Jim

interesting. I made my 914 1.8 engine into a 1911 with a cam from type4store and a recommended CR of below 8. I do experience idle issues and sensitivity to vac leaks. So how low a CR are you talking?

Stock US 914 1.8 is 7.3:1 compression ratio (new before wearing out).

Euro 1.8 is 8.6:1 (carb'd engine)
Early 1.7 is 8.2:1
US 2.0 are 7.6:1
Euro 2.0 are 8.0:1

All L-jet engine are sensitive to vacuum leaks, leaks mean lean mixture on L-jet

On D-jet vacuum leaks actually cause rich running because the MPS see lower vacuum and assumes more load on the engine.

L-jet "measures" the air going into the engine a supplies fuel for the amount of air going in. If it doesn't measure all the air it does not add enough fuel for the air.
By today's standards it is a crude system but in 1974 it was a new state of the art system and D-jet was old school.

Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 17 2018, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 17 2018, 06:17 AM) *

Let's play that game.

Thanks for noticing: I have the resistor pack and a dual relay. The AFM needs to be sourced; peeps that converted to Carbs are good sources

Jim does the harness have a 6 or 7 pin AFM connector?

I'll try to look and see if I have any AFM's that might be any good.

Jim
jim_hoyland
It's a 7 pin connector for the AFM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.