Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh the horror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914_7T3
QUOTE(xperu @ Aug 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

One of the sadest days for me is when I dicovered someone had fibergalssed over the hell hole of my car. Though I poked and proded before I bought the car it seemed fine. After removing the engine and getting ready to prep and paint, I discovered the fiberglass. It was really on thick and painted. Mike Kelly

Mine had the fiberglass repair in the frunk!

Click to view attachment

BeatNavy
I was particularly impressed with the effort the PO put in my pedal cluster bracket underneath dry.gif. I mean, really. That looks FILTHY.

Click to view attachment

The only thing more piss-poor than the repair was my own PPI sad.gif. I should have looked harder and then run away. But I was young and naïve about 914 matters way back then. Now I'm just old and foolish.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
looks like a giant cancerous growth! POOR dear 914!!

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 21 2018, 01:00 PM) *

I was particularly impressed with the effort the PO put in my pedal cluster bracket underneath dry.gif. I mean, really. That looks FILTHY.

Click to view attachment

The only thing more piss-poor than the repair was my own PPI sad.gif. I should have looked harder and then run away. But I was young and naïve about 914 matters way back then. Now I'm just old and foolish.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Aug 21 2018, 03:35 PM) *

QUOTE(xperu @ Aug 21 2018, 12:08 PM) *

One of the sadest days for me is when I dicovered someone had fibergalssed over the hell hole of my car. Though I poked and proded before I bought the car it seemed fine. After removing the engine and getting ready to prep and paint, I discovered the fiberglass. It was really on thick and painted. Mike Kelly

Mine had the fiberglass repair in the frunk!

Click to view attachment

Gawd I was just about to say FG is worse than wood. icon8.gif

My son's trunk was worse than yours, luckily RD make a makes a whole new trunk bottom.
veltror
looks like mine
Retroracer
So apparently the rear trunk is NOT supposed to be constructed of 12mm thick bondo?

Click to view attachment

- Tony
Mikey914
Ahhh.. I'm sure it's the structural bondo biggrin.gif
Retroracer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 26 2018, 02:42 PM) *

Ahhh.. I'm sure it's the structural bondo biggrin.gif

It was laid in there SO thick. When I was cutting it out, you could smell the bondo in the middle (that hadn't been exposed to air) curing...! Then I dug out bits of random metal that looked as though they had been cut from an old washing machine, that were buried in the bondo. Fun times.

- Tony
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 21 2018, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2018, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 21 2018, 12:47 PM) *

I'd rather work on one that looks like that versus one which was previously repaired by a body shop years earlier.

Chris - you mean you don't consider wood floors an upgrade?

Plywood floors were good enough for the British...why not the Germans? happy11.gif

Hell, the Brits even made planes (Mosquito for example) out of plywood smile.gif

And the mosquito was hard to catch!
Dave_Darling
Bondo artistry exposed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMxtOaAOEo

--DD
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 26 2018, 08:08 PM) *

Bondo artistry exposed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMxtOaAOEo

--DD

Wow. sad.gif
Mikey914
How I prefer to remove bondo. Much faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njhJF8O2s44&feature=youtu.be
djway
Back in the early 80s I went to visit my Mom in Michigan. I grew up in So Cal, you see where this is going.
I had probably only purchase a couple cars by then, I knew nothing about 914s other that I thought they were a cool little car.
I found one, took it to the shop down the street to have it looked over, and was told she was good to go so I purchased it. I think the shop person was friends with the seller.
First problem I noticed driving down through Ohio was my foot was freezing so I pulled over and found a hole where the 20 degree air was coming in, stuffed full of paper and took off again. The lil gal just purred right along at around 80.
Shooting through Texas at night suddenly the windshield popped open around the edges. Had difficulty getting the doors open, bought some tape to hold the glass down and took off again. The next fuel stop it became apparent that the doors were not a way to get in and out of the car, windows the rest of the way.
Heading up the mountains towards Flagstaff the rear brakes locked down and slowed the car way down. Did I mention I only had enough money for fuel to get home?
Fiddled with the rear brakes and even considered removing the lines, kept going.
Ran out of money for hotels so drove 26 hours straight which went a little quicker once the brakes wore through the metal backing but the motor was sick.
After getting home and a long sleep I started diggin into the car to see what was up. Well, there were no outer longs or much floor. The guy had riveted aluminum over the area, bondo over the edges then undercoating sprayed over the entire area. Rear calipers were frozen. The doors could not open and motor did not run well.
A young fella learned a lesson that week.
Some guy came and bought it for much less than I paid. mad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I still just do not know if it is worth it welding up these 914s! Hours and hours of work to save one and then it is just a re welded car. At least I will have fun with it when it is finished and it is a one owner 73 2.0!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2018, 05:44 PM) *

I still just do not know if it is worth it welding up these 914s! Hours and hours of work to save one and then it is just a re welded car. At least I will have fun with it when it is finished and it is a one owner 73 2.0!

It’s a two owner car now.

I never understood why a one owner, low owners, car is special. It’s used and rusts no matter who owned it Where is more important than who unless it’s a celebrity owner.
worn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2018, 02:44 PM) *

Are you losing faith?
I replaced a lot of frame and half the sheet metal on my TR6. The red 914 not much better. And the other 914 needs help. But otherwise the car would be junked crushed, melted with ore to make toasters.
Kinda figured that kind of saving the marque was your life’s work at heart. There are certainly quicker ways to make money.
SirAndy
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 28 2018, 03:29 PM) *
There are certainly quicker ways to make money.

Sell replacement sheetmetal to owners of old cars?
idea.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
one can capture the whole history of the car by talking to the original owner, find out intimate detail about every bump and bruise, capture all of that original paperwork, including most times the original bill of sale and window sticker, know where the car was sold new, etc. All good information.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 28 2018, 03:11 PM) *

I never understood why a one owner, low owners, car is special. It’s used and rusts no matter who owned it Where is more important than who unless it’s a celebrity owner.

Andyrew
George,

Why are you making multiple topics on this and not just posting this on one topic? Its technically a build thread.

While I enjoy seeing a 914 being restored, you separating your posts into multiple topics makes it impossible to follow progress.

Maybe @Sirandy can merge these for you if your aware that they should all be in one topic?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 29 2018, 08:06 AM) *
Maybe @Sirandy can merge these for you if your aware that they should all be in one topic?

thumb3d.gif
McMark
I still just do not know if it is worth it welding up these 914s! Hours and hours of work to save one and then it is just a re welded car.

Send that PITA work to another shop. There's gotta be someone on the east coast that has a Celette bench and can do all that icky work. poke.gif

hide.gif
Andyrew
@sirandy

Couple more (And the reason why I posted.... He had 4 threads for 1 topic)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=332494&hl=

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=332404&hl=
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 28 2018, 02:11 PM) *

Not all "one owner cars" are created equal, here is one such story.

https://www.pca.org/news/2016-07-19/barnfin...owner-nightmare

But if a one owner car is unmolested and you can get the history this is really a plus. I've had many one owner cars where yes it is rusty but the guy never cut any corners on work done, so restoring the car is much much easier. We bought a 64C one owner car a few months ago, parked in the 80s, original paint in rough shape, but all the gaps, lines, etc are really nice. So making it back into a good car is very viable, as opposed to cars like my 60 Roadster that has probably had 20 owners, each with a different idea of what a nice car is, things like flat floors are something the 15th owner probably thought was a good idea since he probably only paid $3000 for the car, as opposed to an original owner who remembers when it was new and while the car isn't worth much in 1978, he still sees it as a million dollar car, and treats it as such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.