Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh the horror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Ansbacher
Does anybody know what this original post means? What am missing? Seriously...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
seriously?

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 13 2018, 05:16 PM) *

Does anybody know what this original post means? What am missing? Seriously...

Ansbacher
Not to be redundant but, yes seriously.
billh1963
Traffic is slow on the other site so George is drumming up business poke.gif
jdamiano
Can the rusty car be the car in the brochure. I’m would say yes.
Tbrown4x4
No matter what we do or how well we do it, it's only new once.
Larmo63
They are both Bahia Red 914s.

So?
Unobtanium-inc
Given enough time and $$$, anything is possible, remember 550-0001?

As found in Mexico, and then hundreds of thousands later. You can read the whole story here:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2011/09...e-giant-killer/
r_towle
Who is the best marketeer?
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 14 2018, 09:01 AM) *

Given enough time and $$$, anything is possible, remember 550-0001?

As found in Mexico, and then hundreds of thousands later. You can read the whole story here:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2011/09...e-giant-killer/

Wow, that’s a pretty car.
mmichalik
If anyone could do it, it's you guys. Looks like it's well on it's way already.

That 550 is beautiful!
billh1963
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 14 2018, 09:15 AM) *

Who is the best marketeer?

av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Annette or Bobby.
Front yard mechanic
It can stromberg.gif and will popcorn[1].gif
buck toenges
Actually that is what my buddy the welder did to my '70 914 after it broke in half in july of 1981. It worked for a while. I just graduated from college and didn't have any money.
brings back a lot of memories.
Buck
krazykonrad
The craftsmanship (and research) on 550-001 is phenomenal. Thanks for posting.
Mikey914
Its a shame to bury the 550 in this post. It deserves its own.
Way cool.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 15 2018, 01:51 PM) *

The craftsmanship (and research) on 550-001 is phenomenal. Thanks for posting.

Researching the old race cars can be tough, after the first year no one really kept records, or really cared. I'm trying to track down info on one of my cars, an A Coupe that won at Daytona, so far I have 8mm film footage of it running at Courtland, and a long interview with the driver Jim Watson, but not much else. Jim was more famous for racing his 550, the pic below was after a win with Sir Stirling Moss giving him his trophy. He dumped the A in the mud in 1969, which is where I found it.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
mb911
Any updates?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
BPic
Love the cart! Great idea.
Cairo94507
It amazes me that cart can support the 914. But then again, what does the shell weigh, 900 pounds? Less?
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 17 2018, 04:41 PM) *

It amazes me that cart can support the 914. But then again, what does the shell weigh, 900 pounds? Less?

500-600 depending on year. A 911 is around 800-900 depending on year.

jtprettyman
The door bars look 2X stronger than the cart.....
Mikey914
Works better than the lift. just don't tip it over.
morgan_harwell
Thumbs Up Dr.914 & crew thumb3d.gif

It does not hurt my feelings at all that you are saving 914s for profit.
worn
i had those carts in my lab and all I can say is Diagonal Bracing? Everyone overshoots compression loading, so you proved that point.
rgalla9146
The cart ? No sweat.
They have experience with tipped over cars. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 17 2018, 06:18 PM) *

The cart ? No sweat.
They have experience with tipped over cars. smile.gif

Their bad experience with a failed lift got me to do service on mine. It doesn't get quite the workout of theirs, but I am glad I did. Fixed the groaning hydraulic cylinder, and adjusted the cables. They are still off a little, so I will be tweaking them soon.

cary
Hmmmm ...........very interesting.
There are time when doing a jack point R & R that it would be nice to get the lift arms out of the way. This looks like just the ticket.
Mueller
Not looking forward to that repair on my car, sometime in the next year I'll be doing the passenger side for sure.
ValcoOscar
Nice...

I should have done this. Instead I built this cart.
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 17 2018, 11:53 PM) *

Nice...

Click to view attachment

That cart looks more purpose built. Does it mount to the donut holes on the under side ? I like the rubber tires and larger wheels.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 18 2018, 07:32 AM) *

Nice...

Click to view attachment

That cart looks more purpose built. Does it mount to the donut holes on the under side ? I like the rubber tires and larger wheels.

The larger wheels are a plus especially om an uneven surface as you have. At AA it looks like a smoother floor. His wheels are a little more heavy duty. I have similar wheels on my cart
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 18 2018, 05:32 AM) *

Nice...

Yes...studs lock into donut holes.

Oscar
rgalla9146
My version. Adjustable height via legs into donut sockets. Clearance to allow engine installation.
Would use larger wheels if I were to do it over.
Lucky9146

Nice...

That's a very nice cart Oscar. Donut hole attachment points, of course, I'd expect nothing less. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
David Billo
What did you do here, George? Is there a replacement part, or did you fabricate?Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
hours and hours of work and then all one has is a re welded car.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I can show you some horror.
I bought John T's car out of MI. it's a 70 with the floors pretty much gone. It was a German delivery car with a all the US entry documents Looks like it was picked up at the factory and driven for some time before being exported. Really an interesting car with the rest of the car in very good shape. The salt really took it's toll on that one.
It's inbound shortly and I'll thoroughly document the process as soon as we can survey the car. Will be a cool build as its so stock
ChrisFoley
I'd rather work on one that looks like that versus one which was previously repaired by a body shop years earlier.
mb911
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 21 2018, 08:47 AM) *

I'd rather work on one that looks like that versus one which was previously repaired by a body shop years earlier.

agree.gif

With the replacement parts that are available from RD, AA, and tangerine these days the quality is far superior to what was available 25 years ago..

Where I live this kind of rust is the norm..

mepstein
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 21 2018, 12:47 PM) *

Chris - you mean you don't consider wood floors an upgrade?
Mueller
I need to post my rust pics, I think I might have one of the top 10 rusty 914s for a California car sad.gif
bbrock
Looks a lot like mine did. Fun project.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
what a waste of time, too many do this, spending time on a butch repair rather than doing it right

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2018, 09:58 AM) *

xperu
One of the sadest days for me is when I dicovered someone had fibergalssed over the hell hole of my car. Though I poked and proded before I bought the car it seemed fine. After removing the engine and getting ready to prep and paint, I discovered the fiberglass. It was really on thick and painted. Mike Kelly
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2018, 12:58 PM) *

Plywood floors were good enough for the British...why not the Germans? happy11.gif

Hell, the Brits even made planes (Mosquito for example) out of plywood smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.