Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA Mileage Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I'm getting ready to take the ABM off non-op.

I bought the 914/6 in 2015 and it went straight into non-op status.

Now that I want to take it off. I have the non op reg, the title in my name, and I will be getting insurance.

I went to look at the odometer and it reads 2 miles. Yes, 00002 miles.

So would you tell the CA DMV that it has:

1) 2 miles
2) a rebuilt speedo with 2 miles
or 3) 100002 miles

I just don't want to buy any issues with my state.

I guess this would apply to insurance as well.

Thx
aggiezig
Not sure about CA but in TX all cars over 10 years old can check "EXEMPT" for odometer.

I personally wouldn't list 2 miles, just seems off - even for a rebuild
jcd914
agree.gif

If you have to put something, I believe there is an "Exceeds mechanical limits" option on the form.

Jim
Dave_Darling
Tell them that the odometer reads 2 miles, but it could be more due to mechanical limitations of the odometer. I'm pretty sure they have some way to account for that.

--DD
SirAndy
Ha, that's another reason i always go to AAA for that stuff.

Told them i didn't have an odometer in the car (which is true).
The response?

"No problem, let me put down "n/a", here you go, have a nice day ..."

cheer.gif
Krieger
Check out the form online . I bet there is room on the form for 100002. That is what I would put,.
EdwardBlume
Thanks.

Yes, I'm going to AAA. 100002 seems like the safest.

I have an old whale tail plate that was on my 914 15 years ago. If I bring it in, can they reinstate it? or will they just take it?
Andyrew
TMU

True Miles Unknown..

Just tell them the odometer just goes to 99,999 and it's showing 00002 so it's probably 100002.

No idea on the plate, worth a shot but it could be in the system for another car already.
914bub
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 23 2018, 04:43 AM) *

Thanks.

I have an old whale tail plate that was on my 914 15 years ago. If I bring it in, can they reinstate it? or will they just take it?

It use to be if you removed a vanity plate from a car you had to reassign it to another vehicle or surrender it but I think that has changed. What might make a difference is whether you ever "removed" the plate in the eyes of the DMV, or simply moved out of state? When I took a vanity plate off my vintage Volvo, (the heart & "Volvos"), they let me keep them and said I could assign them to another car in the future. They have been sitting idle since 2005. Keep us posted on whether they let you do that or not.

I would claim 100,002 miles. A vehicle has to have at least 7,500 miles on it to import from out of state. Funny thing is that rule is to prevent people from buying new cars out of state and bringing them right in. I wonder what they'd think if you presented a 45 year old 914 with 2 miles on it. Bet there'd be some head-scratching!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 23 2018, 04:43 AM) *

Thanks.

The whale tale plates were not out for a YOM plate - "Year of Manufacture" which now goes up to 1985 MY IIRC, & so I doubt that you can get it reassigned to the current -6 (also - you need both F & R plates - 2 matching), so keep it on your wall.

You're better off searching the web, auto swap meets, etc. for a pair of plate from the same MY (74?) it is, then get it reassigned as a YOM.

Remember that you'll need both front & rear for them to process it, & some of the sites which specialize in selling the old plates have a 916 area code number direct to the department which can check if the plate number has been reassigned or not (otherwise call the Sacramento DMV HQ & ask for the dept.) - & check it before you buy it, otherwise it's more wall art if reassigned.

BTW - DMV will send/give you free the 2 aluminum "flags" for the month & year stickers used now - if you want to keep the originals or add on repros for the original year & month sold, or to just keep the plate blank.

The DMV website has a bunch of info on this, & there are a few past topics if you google for California YOM plates, etc.

Also note that the YOM is only $10/yr extra IIRC over basic CA reg., vs. $50+ for "personalized plates" - including the Whale Tails & the "new" retro plates.

AAA can do this reg, but you'll have to go to the DMV to do YOM.

PS - Nowadays they're not supposed to reset the odo if rebuilt or replaced - but leave it the same (just ran into that when I wanted to be honest & add +/- 3k to my 85 BMW odo missing while it was "in-op), so just either list it as 100,002 or in-op, rebuilt, n/a, or any of the other options - based on what AAA tells you.

Probably your best route is to go to AAA for a "straight" take out of non-op & get current plates, then do whichever reassignment you want later - so as not to delay getting it drivable, since the fees will be the same if done now or later.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
Thanks Tom and all!
jcd914
The CA DMV application for title or registration paper work has a check box for "Mileage Exceeds the odometer mechanical limits".

So you should be accurate and enter 00002 and the the exceeds mechanical limits box.
Entering anything else would not reflect what the odometer shows.

I had vanity plates on a truck years ago and could have had them reassigned to another vehicle, I did not. I was suppose to turn them in to the DMV when I sold the truck without them but I never did, still out in the garage.

Jim
914bub
Disregard what I said about mileage. If the car was already registered here the 7,500 mile thing doesn't come into play.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 23 2018, 05:18 PM) *

Disregard what I said about mileage. If the car was already registered here the 7,500 mile thing doesn't come into play.

Thanks. FWIW I bought my 2016 4runner in Reno and had no trouble paying CA taxes and registering it. The nimrods at the DMV required a smog and an inspection from the DMV technician. It went fine. The money I saved on my Trail Edition was enough to buy the plane ticket, gas home, and a couple thousand to spare. They were happy to sell a car into CA.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 23 2018, 04:35 PM) *

The CA DMV application for title or registration paper work has a check box for "Mileage Exceeds the odometer mechanical limits".

So you should be accurate and enter 00002 and the the exceeds mechanical limits box.
Entering anything else would not reflect what the odometer shows.

I had vanity plates on a truck years ago and could have had them reassigned to another vehicle, I did not. I was suppose to turn them in to the DMV when I sold the truck without them but I never did, still out in the garage.

Jim

I did the same. Its a cool license plate 914 related.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.