Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me build my 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rupert14
Ok, I have been out of the 914 scene for about 12 years. My last was a 73 in my signature that I did a 911 dash conversion on and wish I never sold. I finally decided to build the car I have always wanted. I originally planned to doing a mendeola/3.5 honda swap but in the end I made the jump to air cooled.

Here is the car I am starting with and I must say that Mark (the seller) has been very helpful during this transition back into 914's. The car will be getting steel flares and a 911 dash as well as a motor.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331539

Next came the engine. I was originally going to do a Mendeola transmission and Honda j35 3.5L V6 because that is what I used in one of my desert prerunners and it was amazing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZbgpUTV-Q...OKeeKvwwb-MJQSO
After consulting with Mark and having a soft spot in my heart for air cooled engines I made a small purchase. Here is a copy of the engine listing:

Porsche 911 3.4 Liter Twin Plugged High Performance engine. Throttle Body Injection. Fun for Street, Rally Sport, and Club Racing. 3.0 case with Carrera oil pump. 3.6 Std/Std Crankshaft. Custom single belt pulley. 3.6 Twin Plugged distributor with Turbo pulse generator. Custom Forged JE 11:1 Pistons. Machine matched Nikasil Cylinders. GE-80 profile Web Cams, Carrera Tensioners. Powder painted sheet metal, new rod bearings, main bearings, gaskets, seals, chains, rails, oil tubes, etc. Intake ports cleaned up to 40m/m, exhaust ports to 38m/m, new high performance valve springs, 3.2 Carrera 11 blade fan, housing, and tested alternator. Also includes oil cooler and spark plugs, new plug wires (choice of color) and Engine management system. 320+ HP. Delivered with block off plates. Just bolt on your exhaust.

An album of engine pics is located here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nvu8KoPgx...zcDD15rT4Nvxmi_

Because I live in the state closest to the sun (Arizona) I also ordered a full AC system from Classic Auto Air and will be installing it in the car.

So here I am and here is where I could use your help. I need to order headers. I would like to have some that have heat exchangers. I called Patrick as they are located here in AZ and spoke to them but the tech that would be most helpful is in CA at a car show.

I have been guided down the road that larger headers may be what this engine needs. the 1.5" may be "too small" and that I need larger, even as big as 1.75". I am sure there are far more experienced opinions out there so please share with me your experience. I am looking at the 914 werkshop, Scart, etc. My goals are to have as much midrange daily driver as possible while keeping the go fast fun part of a built motor. I like hearing the motor, but I don't do well with the "drone" that comes from a muffler that is too sporty.

Please recommend what you can and I will keep posting as we make progress.
mb911
1.625 = 1-5/8" would be just fine for your application.

mb911
If you have any questions you can call me as well.
rupert14
Thanks for all the help 914-6 werkshop. I ordered 1 5/8 stainless headers with heat exchangers, oil tank and all lines, engine tin, and muffler. Thanks for the great products and help
mepstein
Don’t even consider the BB, billy boat headers that Patrick sells. They don’t fit well or actually provide any heat. More like barely warm. Ben makes the best heat exchangers out there. His exhaust are amazing.

Your engines be looks like one that was at our shop. Very similar specs. Dynoed at 325 or 340. I can’t remember. But I think it needed race fuel at 11-1 compression. Did you buy your from Bob Russo?

Good luck and hope to see the car one day.
mb911
Thank you for the opportunity.

The last piece of the puzzle for you will be to determine what you want to do for front oil cooler and plumbing if so desired?

It all depends on usage. Also would recommend a GT engine lid.

Some just use a rear cooler that easily ties into the factory style oil plumbing I am providing you. .
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 24 2018, 08:15 PM) *

Thank you for the opportunity.

The last piece of the puzzle for you will be to determine what you want to do for front oil cooler and plumbing if so desired?

It all depends on usage. Also would recommend a GT engine lid.

Some just use a rear cooler that easily ties into the factory style oil plumbing I am providing you. .

Arizona, hot rod engine, a/c - I would go with as much cooling at the front of the car as you can get.
rupert14
I will be running a A/C condenser anyway up front so I m already going to have to deal with the plumbing/airflow/hot air ventilation. The engine has a fair number of mods that make it run cooler. He built a similar motor that put 285 to the ground. He had to cover part of the oil cooler to get the oil temps up but I would rather add tons of cooling capacity and run an oil thermostat. Where should I go to find a GT lid?
thelogo
Did you check with marty from msds

Cause this sounds like it would be right up his alley

He will make it moan without the drone
jtf914
QUOTE(rupert14 @ Aug 24 2018, 11:50 PM) *

Where should I go to find a GT lid?

The Member Vendors forum: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=5620
mb911
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 24 2018, 08:25 PM) *

He wanted heat and msds doesn't do that..
mb911
QUOTE(rupert14 @ Aug 24 2018, 07:50 PM) *

I will be running a A/C condenser anyway up front so I m already going to have to deal with the plumbing/airflow/hot air ventilation. The engine has a fair number of mods that make it run cooler. He built a similar motor that put 285 to the ground. He had to cover part of the oil cooler to get the oil temps up but I would rather add tons of cooling capacity and run an oil thermostat. Where should I go to find a GT lid?

Sergio makes a nice lid.

For front oil cooler you need to decide how you want to approach the process. Some go for the look orginal to the GT car's and that is why I had the GT hardlines reproduced. The GT look is probably the most expensive route and the most intrusive to the car.

I would suggest searching here for what others have done before deciding. The GT setup could cost 2500 itself in its cheapest version.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 25 2018, 09:10 AM) *

And Marty told me a couple years ago that he will not be building heat exchangers. He doesn’t do mufflers (that I know of).
IronHillRestorations
Personally I don't like to give up front trunk space. I'd put two oil coolers in back (one in the right rear quarter and one on the bottom of the trunk floor) before I'd plumb a cooler to the front, but that's just me.
mepstein
There are a couple ways to handle the oil cooler but putting it directly in the fresh air flow (front) is the most effective.
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2018, 07:04 AM) *

There are a couple ways to handle the oil cooler but putting it directly in the fresh air flow (front) is the most effective.

agree.gif saw
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2018, 06:49 AM) *

And Marty told me a couple years ago that he will not be building heat exchangers. He doesn’t do mufflers (that I know of).

Told me about 8months ago ,in person
He would build whatever i wanted
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 25 2018, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2018, 06:49 AM) *

Told me about 8months ago ,in person
He would build whatever i wanted

Marty is one of the bet. I'm sure it will be nice.
GeorgeRud
Ben (mb911) has the parts you should use to save you a lot of time and meet your requirements. Marty (MSDS) is also great with the parts he makes, but I think Ben’s stuff will meet your needs and is first rate. The only other heat exchangers out there that work well are the factory style, but they were designed for 2.0 liter engines.
rupert14
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 25 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Ben (mb911) has the parts you should use to save you a lot of time and meet your requirements. Marty (MSDS) is also great with the parts he makes, but I think Ben’s stuff will meet your needs and is first rate. The only other heat exchangers out there that work well are the factory style, but they were designed for 2.0 liter engines.

Ben has a great reputation and can supply me with almost everything I need for the initial swap. I I'll definitely add some kind of oil cooler in the future but I live at 5500ft elevation so I want to first make it a "driver" and add as I go. Flares and an oil cooler sounds d like good winter projects. Once that is done, paint. The interior is last and of course another 911 dash.

Thanks Ben for making great products that make these swaps so much easier for folks like me.
mb911
Your welcome it truly is a passion not just a business..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.