Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake fluid from ebrake lever / spring rear caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
1973 2.0 with dual bleaders, drivers side is leaking a very small amount off the spring/ebrake lever. I have wiped all surfaces and checked the top feeder and they all appear to be dry. I don't know these rear units very well but is there a seal in those ebrake/levers area?

Restoring the car so all calipers were re-built with standard kits. New brake lines, the works.

Dave
Downerman
Found this link. Seems to be a complete rebuild. Still wondering about just attacking my issue. May have to really read the link in detail and get what I can out of it.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24229

Dave_Darling
Rebuild time. Or just send them off to PMB and have them done Very Very Right.

--DD
Mblizzard
You may be better at rebuilding brakes than I am. But after failing once on a rebuild and getting a crashed car, it is hard to justify doing it yourself. I know my brakes are far better after adding PMB calipers. There are many here that will tell stories of just what a great job PMB does. Cheap? No but hard to justify saving some money when you are placing your car and life on the line.
Downerman
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 27 2018, 06:09 AM) *

You may be better at rebuilding brakes than I am. But after failing once on a rebuild and getting a crashed car, it is hard to justify doing it yourself. I know my brakes are far better after adding PMB calipers. There are many here that will tell stories of just what a great job PMB does. Cheap? No but hard to justify saving some money when you are placing your car and life on the line.

I'm pretty good and have success in the past BUT I have not taken it down to the level at getting to the adjustment screw seal. Guess it's time to check it out.

Valy
Yes, there is an o-ring seal where you see the leak but it is only accessible from inside the caliper. It's the most difficult seal to replace, after you COMPLETELY disassemble the caliper.
Reassembly of the "sombrero" on top of that seal is a real PITA so some times people just skip it and hope for best.
Having said that, I rebuilt mine few years back and, except the finger twisting exercise at reassembly, everything else was easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.