Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gear shift / range
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
i have had no luck finding 4th & 5th gears. i fitted the last ne linkage bush today and i still cannot get those gears.

in the picture below it shows the gear shifter and the range of side to side movement is really narrow. i assume the slight curved notch is where 5th is? when selecting reverse should a proper working set up require the shifter to be pushed down?

how tight are the gears in the sideshift box?

i'm now at the point of opening the box up, which i would rather not do.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Reverse is pull hard left and up. 4/5 is a bit less to right. Where the shifter naturally sits should be 2nd (up) and 3rd (down).

You have done all of your shift rod bushings, firewall, coupler, console bushing, selector cup bushing?
And your set screws are tight?
New front engine mounts?

I'd make sure they're all in good shape before I suspected the tranny.
Retroracer
I'd suggest doing some basic sanity checks before diving into transmission rebuilds. The linkage has more ways of being set up incorrectly than not!

So if you disconnect the linkage at the transmission end: usually you can manually (gently) move the selector around to select the gears - it has a rotary action (translated from the back and forward motion at the shifter) and an in-out action (translated from the side-to-side shifter motion). You should be able to get neutral plus six unique gear positions - if not then you have transmission problems.

If all gears are selectable at the tranny, then its just a case of dialing in the desired motion - and range of motion - back to the shifter. Separate the back and forth motion fro the side to side. Hmm, this is hard to describe....

Key here (as has been pointed out) is that all bushings are new / tight - any slop makes linkage tweaking even worse. Make small adjustments and make sure you are not hitting mechanical limits on bodywork / cables / pipes. Good luck!

- Tony
a71914
After years of playing around with counting splines I found these instructions to be the most helpful.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91028

Works every time I disconnect/reconnect the shift linkage.
Ferg
agree.gif with all the above, double check the cone screw at the end of the rod at the trans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.