Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a bumble bee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteyd
I went to have a look at this car today. Both hell holes are rotten, so we are talking major rust repair.

I can pretty much guarantee that it is an original BB though. He was the original owner, and he showed me photos of it in 1974.

Interior is out of car, engine and tranny out of the car. This for sure needs a total restoration.

It is for sale, so if anyone is interested let me know.

@JeffBowlsby

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Check it with Jeff Bowlsby & his VIN listing, as well as the paint code on the Karmann Plate - cuz they also offered the spoiler, rockers, decals, painted wheels, etc. as separate options back then, so someone could make a non-officially BB or CS LE.

Also as the OO, he/she may have the original purchase invoice or window sticker squirreled away somewhere.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
7TPorsh
well look at that. they're still out there.
JeffBowlsby
Cool find Pete, THANKS for the photos.

I have an email from Dave Pateman about this car from 2008. Car has been on the Registry with very little known about it. The photos and engine# are a great help.

Did this car have a dash plaque...maybe a dealership or factory item?

What are the FS details? Once an LE, always an LE.
peteyd
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 28 2018, 12:50 PM) *

Cool find Pete, THANKS for the photos.

I have an email from Dave Pateman about this car from 2008. Car has been on the Registry with very little known about it. The photos and engine# are a great help.

Did this car have a dash plaque...maybe a dealership or factory item?

What are the FS details? Once an LE, always an LE.

I didnt notice any dealership plaques or anything like that.

8k was the asking price. Not much wiggle room either. I think it will sit outside and return to the earth before he sells it for less.

Pete
JeffBowlsby
Would be a pity to lose this car, most of it looks intact. In your opinion is the rust terminal?

What city/province is it in? (for the Registry purpose)
Unobtanium-inc
Man, if I didn't have 3 projects already I would be all over this, but I like to live by the code of Clint, "A Man Has To Know His Limitations"

Someone should snag this, one owner, looks pretty original, in 10 years there aren't going to be many left like it. And with 6's reaching $100,000 cars like this are about as good as a normal guy can get.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
someone needs to talk some sense into the guy and save it. I have seen this happen too often. It is with a great sense of pride that a person, who has no time, money, nor inclination to save a vintage Porsche , by owning it, is able to tell one and all "I own a Porsche!", and for that reason alone will never sell it. As the years pass, the car eventually settles into the dust, and the person passes away
billh1963
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 28 2018, 05:24 PM) *

8k was the asking price.

Pete

Is that $8K Canadian? That's like tree fiddy in USD poke.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcQZruv3Vc
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2018, 02:05 PM) *

someone needs to talk some sense into the guy and save it. I have seen this happen too often. It is with a great sense of pride that a person, who has no time, money, nor inclination to save a vintage Porsche , by owning it, is able to tell one and all "I own a Porsche!", and for that reason alone will never sell it. As the years pass, the car eventually settles into the dust, and the person passes away

I chased a Speedster like that once, the guy bought it in 1969, never drove it, never even put a motor in it, but he OWNED A SPEEDSTER!!! It took me six trips to his house, he would call, say he was ready, I would drive 7 hours down there, then he would say he changed his mind. On the 6th trip I got the car. Did I mention the price went up each time, that was not the fun part...
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 28 2018, 05:05 PM) *

agree.gif

Spoke with a guy last week that has 5 914s that he wanted to sell as a package deal only. 4 with no titles, those 4 were had all the usual 914 rust issues and then some. The one "good" car was completely taken apart 20+ years ago and is in boxes in a garage full of mouse infested "other" boxes. The low low price...............$9K

I was bummed for making the trip down and seeing the piles of junk. He really felt that it wouldn't take much to get them all back on the road and that might have been true 20+ years ago. Was upset with me when I wouldn't make him a real offer.
Chip
Get together and form a chum club, rent a shop welder.gif , stock it with all the tools needed, and everyone work on these cars when you can. Strength in numbers.
peteyd
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 28 2018, 01:49 PM) *

Would be a pity to lose this car, most of it looks intact. In your opinion is the rust terminal?

What city/province is it in? (for the Registry purpose)

The car is located in Ontario. That is all I will say.

The amount of rust in the engine bay is bad. But nothing that hasn't been fixed before. We did a car here at the shop with comparable rust. The bill was around $22k CAN at $65/hr

I will keep in contact with the man, hopefully he will come around and we could make a deal.

Pete
EdwardBlume
I'd love to bring a car like that home and restore it. Not for the money, just the car.
JeffBowlsby
$8K Can = $6K US purchase price
$22K Can = $15K US restoration
+ Shipping costs/taxes etc.

~$23K US for a car that should be worth north of $30K

It could work.
relentless
Now add in paint, interior, brakes, suspension, engine and tranny work, rubber seals... Well you get the picture. It will be a long time before you get your money out of that investment. Ask me how I know!
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 29 2018, 09:25 AM) *

It could work.

I’m assuming Pete was quoting just the metalwork. As the next poster noted, that price will more than double or maybe triple to finish the car. The numbers don’t work if you are trying to rationalize the restoration based on selling prices.
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2018, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 29 2018, 09:25 AM) *

It could work.

I’m assuming Pete was quoting just the metalwork. As the next poster noted, that price will more than double or maybe triple to finish the car. The numbers don’t work if you are trying to rationalize the restoration based on selling prices.

Yep....buy the best car you can afford! Of course, if you must have a Bumblebee and are willing to do the work yourself over time you might be ok
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.