Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranmission issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion are where to start. Installed my motor and trans finally. Trans has been sitting in the garage for over a year. Was working fine before I pulled it. Only thing I changed was the clutch disc. I got the rear wheels off the ground and pit it into second gear to get TDC to install my distributor and found that no matter what gear I put it in I could not get it to engage. even though the shifter feels like its shifting its like its staying in neutral. Pulled the trans and annually moving the shifter linkage does the same thing. Its a tail shift trans by the way. What am I missing here? So close to getting this back on the road. Took the wind out of my sails this morning!

Thanks! Scott
mepstein
Clutch cable adjustment?
theer
Cone screw missing somewhere along the line - linkage not engaging trans shaft?
worn
QUOTE(theer @ Aug 31 2018, 04:15 PM) *

No, he says it is the same manually shifting with it out.
Trying to imagine how that would be happening popcorn[1].gif
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 31 2018, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(theer @ Aug 31 2018, 04:15 PM) *

No, he says it is the same manually shifting with it out.
Trying to imagine how that would be happening popcorn[1].gif

Shifter forks not tightened?
Localboy808
Correct, same problem after pulling the trans. I can manually shift through gears and hear it click. But then when you turn the hubs or shafts the main shaft doesn't spin. i tried manually spinning the main shaft and then it started to want to turn with the axles. Then it stopped. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of these transmissions. Could something be gummed up in there from sitting for a year?
mgphoto
You have to immobilize one of the wheels to be able to spin the main shaft, unless you have a limited slip diff.
mb911
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 1 2018, 03:05 PM) *

You have to immobilize one of the wheels to be able to spin the main shaft, unless you have a limited slip diff.

Bingo..
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 1 2018, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 1 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Bingo..

I think that is already known. Not certain, but I think so. Hope to see some photos.
Localboy808
OMG did I just pull the trans for nothing? headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I'll try that in the morning.
bobboinski
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 1 2018, 06:40 PM) *

OMG did I just pull the trans for nothing? headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I'll try that in the morning.

If the trans is pulled try turning the input shaft while in a gear. One output should turn.
If it does it seems to me things should be ok.
Localboy808
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Sep 1 2018, 09:50 PM) *

If the trans is pulled try turning the input shaft while in a gear. One output should turn.

Yeah. I tried it. It's fine. OMG. Not one of my finer moments. Thanks for the help guys.
bobboinski
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 1 2018, 09:53 PM) *

Yeah. I tried it. It's fine. OMG. Not one of my finer moments. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad it's ok. I gave up trying to be perfect about 60 yrs. ago. I'm 61. beerchug.gif
Localboy808
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Sep 2 2018, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 1 2018, 09:53 PM) *

Glad it's ok. I gave up trying to be perfect about 60 yrs. ago. I'm 61. beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.