Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Yeah, I know this exact question has been asked, but I didn't find enough info for what I need. It's a long shot, but I MIGHT actually get my car in primer and color on the belly... and maybe even interior this fall before winter hits (which will be soon here), so I need to get my ducks in a row in case the gods smile on my progress while the weather holds.

Local shop carries PPG but only top of the line and bottom of the line. So top of the line Deltron it is which will provide the best coverage. But I'll be spraying 3 different products plus primers and need to know how much of each to buy. So how much of each of these?
  1. Single Stage - Interior, inside trunks, and spots on belly where I don't want high build of bed liner (e.g. mount points)
  2. Base/Clear - Exterior only (maybe under sides of deck lids too?)
  3. Raptor Bedliner - This one I know from what others have done. I'm going to buy a 6 liter kit to give extra to replicate what Kent ( @914350 ) did for spray seam sealer on @Cairo94507 's build: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&showtopic=313869&view=findpost&p=2568527 ://http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index....&p=2568527 . BTW, local shop quoted $250 for a 4 liter kit with NO GUN today. yikes.gif I'll be buying that on Amazon.
  4. Primer - I have a gallon of PPG DPLF epoxy. I'm assuming that will be enough for the whole car inside and out.

Any help appreciated. At a billion dollars/ounce, I want to make sure I get enough, but not too much. beerchug.gif
914forme
Your Epoxy might be low, but that is fine as you can get more if needed.

Don't forget all that extra primer you get to send off to make everything super smooth.

GRM did an article on their Project 914 it is part 3, and they might have listed all the steps and supplies they used to get their 914 green.

Also congratulation on getting to the point of paint. piratenanner.gif or at least thinking about buying it.
Andyrew
[*]Single Stage - Interior, inside trunks, and spots on belly where I don't want high build of bed liner (e.g. mount points)

Probably get away with just 1 quart. With reducer and hardner its about 1.6 quarts. You only need to do 2ish coats on the interior to get color so its less..

[*]Base/Clear - Exterior only (maybe under sides of deck lids too?)

1 quart of color would probably be enough here as well, and probably 2 quarts of clear.

If I were you I would just buy a gallon kit of base/clear. You'll have plenty for screwups, and it lets you practice shooting base/clear on the interior and trunks. The last thing you want is to be spraying the body and find out you mixed a batch wrong and not have enough material to finish, or that its simply not enough.

As far as primer goes, Its never enough. You could easily sand a gallon of primer off the car doing bodywork. I normally go through about 3 gallons of primer on a car that has a lot of bodywork. And there is multiple different types of that...

If your spraying a factory color then ignore me, but if its a custom color I like getting my stuff through TCPglobal.com Cheap stuff that sprays out VERY nice. Consumables and tools are also very cheap. It helps if you do one big order as the shipping is EXPENSIVE. I typically get my body fillers and filler primers at my local shop but you could get that stuff on the site as well.

A healthy budget on supplies is about $800 including primer/body filler/ and lots and lots of sandpaper.
mb911
Just bought paint for my sons 944 and had the paint shop whom I have known for years help determine how much paint. Went base 2 qts, clear 1gallon , sealer 1qt, allot glass on a 944 but that is a point of reference.. Cost 350 all ppg shopline.
bbrock
Super helpful info here guys! Many thanks. beer.gif

I neglected to say that my plan is to spray the DPLF epoxy, then follow on the exterior surfaces with a few coats of high build. Then spend some quality time over the winter blocking to prep for spraying the rest of the color next summer. I don't think the DPLF is intended to be sanded except for a scuff for adhesion if you let it sit more than 2 weeks without top coating. Figured I'd have a better idea of how much surfacer to buy after spraying the primer.

For color, I'm staying with the original silver metallic. Yeah, silver metallic ohmy.gif . Extra paint for practice is definitely a good idea!

Here's the whole sequence I'm planning. Critiques welcome:
  1. Shoot whole car with DPLF epoxy
  2. Apply seam sealer
  3. 2nd coat epoxy over seam sealer (not sure if this is needed)
  4. Spot spray single stage on mount points and other places on belly where I don't want bed liner.
  5. Spray belly with tinted bed liner.
  6. Spray interior with single stage
  7. Spray exterior with high build/surfacer
  8. Block sand, block sand, and block sand.
  9. Shoot base/clear.

Depending on how close to shitty weather I'm pushing it, I may do step 1 in stages (belly, then interior, then exterior) according to time available to get top coats on. I'll be spraying in an unheated portable garage that has to come down before heavy snow falls (usually sometime in November). Weather should be excellent for painting until then but I have a lot of work to do yet.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 7 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Just bought paint for my sons 944 and had the paint shop whom I have known for years help determine how much paint. Went base 2 qts, clear 1gallon , sealer 1qt, allot glass on a 944 but that is a point of reference.. Cost 350 all ppg shopline.

Are you doing a complete inside/out respray with that or just exterior?

Man! I wish I could get shopline (my local supplier can't get it). I spent over $300 just for a gallon of PPG primer!!! I think top of the line is probably good for a rookie like me though. I've heard Deltron is forgiving.
Cairo94507
For anyone who is going to be redoing their seam sealer, I have I believe 5 cans of this left. I would be looking for $35 per can.

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 7 2018, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 7 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Are you doing a complete inside/out respray with that or just exterior?

Man! I wish I could get shopline (my local supplier can't get it). I spent over $300 just for a gallon of PPG primer!!! I think top of the line is probably good for a rookie like me though. I've heard Deltron is forgiving.

Just exterior and jambs.. The 2 qts produce 4 total with reducer so gallon mixed..
bbrock
I stopped by my paint supplier today to get some estimates. A 1 gal. kit of Deltron line base/clear will cost me $1,265 vs a half gallon kit of base/clear plus half gallon of Omni single-stage would be ~$919 (~$350 savings). That's pretty good incentive to stick with single-stage for interiors. I will worry about the exterior later since I won't be spraying that until next Spring.

Next question is, how much single-stage? @Andyrew said "probably" 1 quart would be enough. I'd like some margin of safety. Each additional quart of single-stage will run me $75 so I'm tempted to just get 2 quarts which will provide 3 quarts of sprayable product. But I can buy it in 8 oz. increments so the more I can dial this in to have extra, but not too much extra, the more $$ I can save.

Thoughts?
Andyrew
1qt would be fine. But an extra quart would be helpful in the future... You can just buy the extra quart of paint and not buy the extra reducer or hardner.. they have the shortest shelf life anyways.

defianty
Incidentally the way you're planning to paint your car Brent is how mine is being done. Base/lacquer on the outside and single stage in the trunks etc.

I'm going to see my car tomorrow to catch up on progress. If you like I'll speak with the guy about paint quantities and get back to you. I warn you now my findings will be in litres though laugh.gif
mepstein
We usually do single stage on the interior, trunks, engine compartment, wheel wells and underside. The interior gets covered in soundproofing and carpet, etc. just no need to spend for top dollar paint. Same with the other areas. It has to look good but doesn’t have to be a show finish. It also touches up easier.

It’s funny that on a 914, we paint the interior body color and then take great pains to cover all the color with carpet, pads, vinyl and tape.
bbrock
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 5 2018, 12:45 AM) *

1qt would be fine. But an extra quart would be helpful in the future... You can just buy the extra quart of paint and not buy the extra reducer or hardner.. they have the shortest shelf life anyways.

Good idea. Unfortunately the mini amount of reducer I can buy is 1 gal. and at 4:1:1 mix ratios, I'll have enough for 4 gallons of color! My local shops says they've tried to get quarts but haven't been able to. Would be nice if they'd just split a gallon themselves but they didn't offer that.

QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 5 2018, 02:33 AM) *

Incidentally the way you're planning to paint your car Brent is how mine is being done. Base/lacquer on the outside and single stage in the trunks etc.

I'm going to see my car tomorrow to catch up on progress. If you like I'll speak with the guy about paint quantities and get back to you. I warn you now my findings will be in litres though laugh.gif

That would be great! Don't get me started on our medieval measurement system. As a scientist, it drives me nuts. Why we insist on clinging to this POS way of measuring things is beyond me. blowup.gif
defianty
So... had a chat with my painter this morning and he reckons he'll buy three litres of base coat for the exterior. Thinned down to paint, that will give him six litres.
Hope that helps Brent.
mepstein
Pros usually use 3 quarts. diy guys usually use 1 gallon to allow for mistakes.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2018, 03:36 AM) *

That is true but also remember if you getting a color that there are lots of alternates for the same paint code buy extra.. If you ever have to repaint an area you will be happy you did.. Also remember to get the preferred primers and sealers color based on the final color.. This will help maintain a nice consistency in color..

Silvers are especially prone to this thats why you see so may car's that are silver have odd looking panels when repaired m
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 6 2018, 07:59 AM) *

That is true but also remember if you getting a color that there are lots of alternates for the same paint code buy extra.. If you ever have to repaint an area you will be happy you did.. Also remember to get the preferred primers and sealers color based on the final color.. This will help maintain a nice consistency in color..

Silvers are especially prone to this thats why you see so may car's that are silver have odd looking panels when repaired m

agree.gif primer color can change the final look of the paint by a lot. Red or yellow over white primer looks completely different than when it’s sprayed on grey. I’m not a painter but I’ve been told metallics are hard to match because of the way particles lay down. If a door is painted on a table, the metallic will look different than if it’s painted vertical on a car.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2018, 04:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 6 2018, 07:59 AM) *

agree.gif primer color can change the final look of the paint by a lot. Red or yellow over white primer looks completely different than when it’s sprayed on grey. I’m not a painter but I’ve been told metallics are hard to match because of the way particles lay down. If a door is painted on a table, the metallic will look different than if it’s painted vertical on a car.

Yes 100% right.
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 6 2018, 04:45 AM) *

So... had a chat with my painter this morning and he reckons he'll buy three litres of base coat for the exterior. Thinned down to paint, that will give him six litres.
Hope that helps Brent.

Thanks Stephen. 3 litres of base would make about 1.5 gallons of sprayable mix in the stuff I'm using. Did he happen to mention how much single-stage for the interiors he will shoot? That's the number most important to me right now. Spraying exterior will have to wait until the winter snows thaw and warm weather returns. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2018, 05:20 AM) *

It’s funny that on a 914, we paint the interior body color and then take great pains to cover all the color with carpet, pads, vinyl and tape.

I do it for her. She deserves to feel pretty smlove2.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2018, 05:36 AM) *

Whole car or just exterior?
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 6 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2018, 05:20 AM) *

I do it for her. She deserves to feel pretty smlove2.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2018, 05:36 AM) *

Whole car or just exterior?

Exterior but there are a lot of variables. Give yourself some extra for practice.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 6 2018, 04:02 PM) *

Hope that helps Brent.

Thanks Stephen. 3 litres of base would make about 1.5 gallons of sprayable mix in the stuff I'm using. Did he happen to mention how much single-stage for the interiors he will shoot? That's the number most important to me right now. Spraying exterior will have to wait until the winter snows thaw and warm weather returns. beerchug.gif

He said he'd probably get a gallon of single stage, now to add to confusion I'm guessing that's a UK (imperial) gallon and not a US gallon. laugh.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 6 2018, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 6 2018, 04:02 PM) *

Hope that helps Brent.

He said he'd probably get a gallon of single stage, now to add to confusion I'm guessing that's a UK (imperial) gallon and not a US gallon. laugh.gif

Yep. that's 1.2 US gallons . There won't be any shortage of paint in there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.