Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Side to Mount Engiine Yoke?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
In the process of tearing down the original 1.7 that came with my '72 (it will be emerge as a beautiful 2056 next spring, just like a butterfly...or at least that's the plan). This is my first Type 4 rebuild.

The engine is mounted to a 3 arm yoke on a HF engine stand. This has all worked well, and I've got the case stripped. The next step is to split the case. Before I do, is there an advantage to having the yoke on one side or the other? Right now it's on the 1/2 side, but in my Raby video it looks like it's on the 3/4 side. Any issues / difference?

TIA
Olympic 914
When I built my engine I also put the 3 arm onto the 3-4 side.

Don't remember why but I think there was some small advantage.
saigon71
Put it on the side that has the most space between the cylinder and the mounting flange (I think it's the 1-2 side).

I put mine on the other side and had an interference problem installing 96MM cylinders.
mgphoto
I attached the dizzy and oil cooler side to the yoke as per Tom Wilson book.
BeatNavy
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I switched it over to the 3/4 side. I was having trouble splitting the case and having it on that side seemed to help by giving me a bit more leverage. Finding that last damn nut that was still on the case covered in grime also helped, of course (good reference: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50873). But it was reluctant to give just below the oil pump area. Required gentle tapping on the studs to break free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.