Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solvent for removing gaskets etc...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
What is the best solvent or method for removing the remnants of gaskets and sealing agents (Loctite, etc...)? I removed my heads from the cam housing and I am trying to get the sealing surfaces clean before putting it back together.

Thanks,
Bob
Jakester
scuffy pad on a die grinder = quick and shiney!

Any other way is laborious and painful, not to mention potentially hazardous to your gasket surface (e.g. scrapers).

This solution assumes a few things
1) you have air
2) you have a die grinder
3) your surfaces are somewhat flat and accessible for a die grinder

Since I've never dived into a TIV motor, I don't know what the surfaces you are referring to look like. I'm just speaking from general engine-work experience.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Jun 16 2005, 07:39 AM)
What is the best solvent or method for removing the remnants of gaskets and sealing agents (Loctite, etc...)? I removed my heads from the cam housing and I am trying to get the sealing surfaces clean before putting it back together.

Thanks,
Bob

In 30+ years of doing 911 motors, I've never found anything that'll remove the Kuril from the cam towers except hard work. Be VERY careful, you don't want to damage the seating surfaces in any way. Since you're in Mc Minville, why don't you run over and talk with Gary Emory? If anyone around there has a better way, it'll be him. We used to use a "cold tank" (straight carb cleaner, like you buy in the 5 gallon buckets at the parts store) which did the best job, but it's illegal in most places now. The Cap'n
spare time toys
Loc tite makes a product called chisle. Works great just DO NOT get it on you. ohmy.gif
spare time toys
This is the stuff.
Cap'n Krusty
Might lift off gaskets and some adhesives, but 200K mile Kuril may be a different story. Carb cleaner and bead blasting hardly touch it .................... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.