Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rubber Fender Liner Clip Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Let me first say I am a BIG supporter of 914 Rubber and appreciate their quality and customer service. Also like their new product development to help keep our aging teeners on the road and looking good. With that in mind I sent a message to their customer service inbox asking for help with rusting fender liner mounting brackets and the potential for the rust to spread to the sheet metal and haven’t received a reply.

So I am not calling them out, just kindly asking that they develop and provide rust proof replacement brackets. Love the fender liners but wish the rears dropped down further in front to keep debris from being thrown into the troublesome jack point area. I fabbed up some rugged plastic pieces to add to theirs to do just that, so I’m covered.

Here are the brackets after two years on the west coast not driving in salt.

Click to view attachment
RickS
Another
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
I made brackets from a thin aluminum bar approx 1/8th thick, 1/2” wide and 6” long. By attaching one end of the bar to the chassis, the bar could move like a latch and make removal of the liners for cleaning (I have white liners). Can post a pic when car comes out of shop.
Mikey914
These were spec'd out of stainless.

Apparently we need a recall. Drop me a PM with your specifics and I will get you replacements.

Good news is that you can leave the liners in place and just drill the pop rivets out.

My aplogies

Mark

RickS
Mark, being the stand up guy he is has already contacted me and will be shipping stainless replacements. Thanks Mark! And yes I will continue to shop with his great company.
sixnotfour
Good news , now they'll out last your 914 slap.gif
JeffBowlsby
There is an electro-galvanic reaction between stainless and steel. Check the galvanic chart.

Close together is OK, far apart on the chart is problematic.

Suggest thick aluminum as a better choice.
Mikey914
Pretty sure this is not stainless as the rust seen should only be on the fastener.
Valy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 11 2018, 09:17 AM) *

There is an electro-galvanic reaction between stainless and steel. Check the galvanic chart.

Close together is OK, far apart on the chart is problematic.

Suggest thick aluminum as a better choice.

All good but the metal that rusts is the one on the right of the table. In this case, the stainless should not rust.
I bet that's not a stainless bracket.
tom.esh
I have seen some cheaper grades of stainless rust. Look at the stainless BBQ grills at the big box stores.
JeffBowlsby
To be clear, I agree with the idea that this is not a stainless bracket, its probably carbon steel, which is why its rusting.

What I am suggesting is that it should not be replaced with stainless stell because of the EG reaction between stainless and carbon steel. Recommend aluminum for this use.
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 11 2018, 01:28 PM) *

To be clear, I agree with the idea that this is not a stainless bracket, its probably carbon steel, which is why its rusting.

What I am suggesting is that it should not be replaced with stainless stell because of the EG reaction between stainless and carbon steel. Recommend aluminum for this use.

I guess a stainless steel bumper means death for our cars.
JeffBowlsby
No issue if they are isolated with the stock rubber spacers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.