Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Steering Column into 914 Wiring Info Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Martin Baker
I plan to/will install a 914/6 type column/converted 911 into a 1975 chassis, no idea what year my 911 switches are from, so it will be an adventure electrically. I have two different wiper switches, and the harnesses from them are radically different. I have pig tails cut from the chassis side of a 911 harness, with the connectors so I don't have to hard wire it in the car.

Is there a thread, or someone who's done it, with REAL "hands on" knowledge?

I have the color 914/6 schematic, and I have the 1975 914 schematic, but what I will need to find out is the switches that I have wire colors. No idea what they are yet.

Thanks in advance...

MB
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Sep 11 2018, 03:29 PM) *

I plan to/will install a 914/6 type column/converted 911 into a 1975 chassis, no idea what year my 911 switches are from, so it will be an adventure electrically. I have two different wiper switches, and the harnesses from them are radically different. I have pig tails cut from the chassis side of a 911 harness, with the connectors so I don't have to hard wire it in the car.

I have the color 914/6 schematic, and I have the 1975 914 schematic, but what I will need to find out is the switches that I have wire colors. No idea what they are yet.

Thanks in advance...

MB

I have done it in real life.

But I leave for Okteenerfest tomorrow morning.

totle
Planning on doing the same on my 72 914 as im building å GT car
Martin Baker
Clay, no rush.

I am gathering info now. Bought this column From Mark H (914sixer) about a zillion years ago...just now putting up higher on the priority list of tasks to finish. Hoped someone might have already written down the wiring of the install already, as the electrical portion will be the challenge. I will not of course need the horn portion! I am also going with a push button starter circuit...no key required for the race car. I will use a BOSCH pull switch for the ignition...
John
I did it with my 1974. I have no thread, but all of mine is functional with the exception of the key-in buzzer.

I didn't do a thread.
Larmo63
I also have these parts. I have an early ignition switch too.

Everything on my dash works great now, so to do this will require a leap of faith for me. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it)

I've talked to McMark about it, and I would trust him to do the conversion. He's on the other side of the country.

Click to view attachment
John
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I know R-D now makes a 914-6 piece for dashes, but they didn't when I did mine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I never did the clamshells around the column. I fear the quality of the repros that I could find.
Martin Baker
Thanks! All great stuff for those planning this install!

I will shot some PICs of the junk I have tonight...

MB
mepstein
I’m talking to someone who is very experienced with Porsche wiring and custom harnesses about doing a plug and play harness for my 71. If successful, we would make more and adjust it for other years.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Sep 11 2018, 01:29 PM) *

Unfortunately i didn't document the electrical part, but i don't remember it being difficult.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045
idea.gif

PS: My main harness is from a '74

John
The only trouble I had with wiring was the wiper switch and the washer switch. I had converted the 914-4 column to electric long ago following one of the old UpFixin' articles back in the 1980s, so it was a bit funky, but once I got it all sorted, everything has been fine.

On the topic of plug&play, it may not be so easy since some of the earlier cars had a separate switch for wipers and the pneumatic washer system, but good luck with that. I know my car will never go back to stock.

I try to keep my mods Porsche-esque, but I also want the later tech like dash vents, movable passenger seat, retractable seat belts, later model passenger footwell, door bars, etc. Most folks dont know what they are looking at anyway. I do like the left key placement, but I doubt I would ever do it again.

I believe I used a 1973 911 steering column as a donor. I did have to find a 911 MOMO steering wheel adapter to go along with the 911 steering column for my steering wheel.

Good luck with your project.
Martin Baker
Thanks much for your inputs everyone. And the well wish! John, did you get you signal conversion parts yet?

As for wipers, if I get the two speeds to work, great, don't think the 4 cylinder motor will go three, since its wired for two. As mine is a race car, and I have yet to drive a rain race (I am dying too, as long as I don't wad it up), I won't be super upset if they don't work right away.

I also have and early 4 cylinder dash frame I was going to put in as well with that RD weld in part.

MB
John
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Sep 13 2018, 01:28 PM) *

Thanks much for your inputs everyone. And the well wish! John, did you get you signal conversion parts yet?

As for wipers, if I get the two speeds to work, great, don't think the 4 cylinder motor will go three, since its wired for two. As mine is a race car, and I have yet to drive a rain race (I am dying too, as long as I don't wad it up), I won't be super upset if they don't work right away.

I also have and early 4 cylinder dash frame I was going to put in as well with that RD weld in part.

MB

I did get the turn signal parts. Thanks for the quick shipping! They look like they will work out just fine. Almost the same as what I made out of lexan a long time ago, except you have the shiny curved reflectors. I think the sockets and bulbs are identical.

My race car has no windshield wipers at all. Cut out the cowl and removed the center vent and the wiper hole dents. I'm too old and crotchety to drive it in the rain anymore. It was fun once, now I just don't like getting all the water everywhere. For some reason, my race car holds water much better than it seals it out.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Sep 11 2018, 04:29 PM) *

Thanks in advance...

MB

Hey Martin
I chickened out on adapting the 6 column switches to a 4 cyl. harness.
I got a salvage 6 harness years ago......in it went....easy peasy.
What I did do that may be of interest to others who responded here is adapt a
911 3 speed wiper motor to a standard 914 wiper rack.
Not complicated at all, just a matter of re-positioning the motor mounting holes.
BUT there are different versions of the 911 motor. Choose the one that is
configured just like a 914 2 speed.
Martin Baker
Here is what I currently have. As previously mentioned, I have no idea what years the switches are from.

Again, thanks for all the useful info from everyone.

MB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.