Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/Buick V6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbledsoe
This is a photo of the 3.8 liter Buick V6 that will be going into my 75 914. This apparently used to be fairly popular swap. Unfortunately no one (that I could find) makes the front motor mount cross member adapter anymore. I emailed Renegade but got pretty close to zero help from them, other than being told just short of I’m nuts to do that swap when I could do a V8. Well, I didn’t want a V8, I wanted a V6. The folks at Desert Hybrids were much nicer but didn’t have a suitable (for me) solution to my front mount problem.

What I did find via an internet search was a cross member for putting a Buick V6 into a street roadster. It is very stout and cost a grand total of $58 to my door (the Renegade V8 cross member runs $275 plus shipping!). It will take a wee bit of adaptation to use the roadster cross member but appears to be fairly simple and straight forward (see photo).

The folks at Kennedy Engineered Products, makers of the Buick V6 to Porsche 901 transaxle adapter plate, clutch, etc., were a delight to deal with, especially Jodi. She quickly responded to my emailed questions, provided some great advice, and was simply a pleasure to deal with.

What I like about the V6 conversion is the ability to not have to resort to an electric water pump, or much of any other front of the engine modifications. Also, the Buick distributor is at the front of the engine where it is easy to get at.

Once this one is complete I also have a 4.1 liter Buick V6 that I am rebuilding that will go into my white 76 914. The type IV engine in both cars ate a valve; I got tired of dealing with the perpetual oil leaking type IV engine and all its peculiarities.

If anyone is interested I’ll post additional photos as my project progresses.

Don
dbledsoe
Cross member photo.
Jakester
Yes, we are interested. Beautiful motor! Keep the progress pics coming!
messix
sweet looking combo.

only bad side is that buick v6 is a low rpm torquer. and running 3,000 rpm on the highway will get old.

run tall tires and it might be better.
Mueller
nice looking motor package there....I sold dave menche a buick v-6 package a few years ago, I know he used a few parts from it and might still have the engine bar if your's does not work for some reason.........
dbledsoe
Engine front view.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (messix @ Jun 16 2005, 09:10 AM)
sweet looking combo.

only bad side is that buick v6 is a low rpm torquer. and running 3,000 rpm on the highway will get old.

run tall tires and it might be better.

Thank you for the compliment and the tire tip. Most of my driving will be around town and some mountain twisty stuff. But I think I will go with a taller top gear ratio in the white 76 914 4.1 liter swap. The body in that one is essentially rust free and will be my long term keeper. The red 75 will be my daily driver.
jet1
Yes, keep posting photos. Also any info on costs for parts would be nice to know. What kind of adaptation did you have to do to mount the engine cross member? It looks like you are off to a good start! clap.gif

Thanks.
skline
Excellent!! Please do post more pictures with your progress, what I want to know, is how you got the transmission so clean? I scrubbed for hours and it still looks 35 years old.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 16 2005, 09:10 AM)
nice looking motor package there....I sold dave menche a buick v-6 package a few years ago, I know he used a few parts from it and might still have the engine bar if your's does not work for some reason.........

Hello Mike,

Any idea how I might get in touch with Dave to see if he still has the engine mount bar? No matter how this one goes I'll still be needing another for the up coming 76 914 4.1 liter V6 conversion.

Best regards,
Don
tat2dphreak
didn't someone (EvilEd maybe? confused24.gif ) used to have a turbo version of that motor in a 914?
Mueller
QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Jun 16 2005, 10:44 AM)
Hello Mike,

Any idea how I might get in touch with Dave to see if he still has the engine mount bar? No matter how this one goes I'll still be needing another for the up coming 76 914 4.1 liter V6 conversion.

Best regards,
Don

I'm sure Dave will read this and post, his daily driver is a Buick V6 conversion car.

EvilEd maybe?
..type IV turbo

there is someone else that did the buick GN motor here...check Felixs' conversion thread
dbledsoe
QUOTE (jet1 @ Jun 16 2005, 09:24 AM)
Yes, keep posting photos. Also any info on costs for parts would be nice to know. What kind of adaptation did you have to do to mount the engine cross member? It looks like you are off to a good start! clap.gif

Thanks.

The picture is deceiving. It's not actually mounted in there yet. It's just sitting atop the original Porsche cross member mounting points. I plan to weld a pair of right angle tubes into a pair of tubes the next size smaller than the tube diameter of the new cross member and mount that atop the mounting flange of the original cross member (rather than below as most other cross member adapters do). But I still need to set the engine/trans up in the car to get the measurements as to exactly how tall the end pieces will need to be.

But that has to wait on a thorough cleaning of the engine compartment. As you can see in the photo, it's pretty funky after 25 years. monkeydance.gif
dbledsoe
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 16 2005, 09:25 AM)
Excellent!! Please do post more pictures with your progress, what I want to know, is how you got the transmission so clean? I scrubbed for hours and it still looks 35 years old.

I did the same thing, with about the same results as you got so decided to sandblast it. I bought a pressurized 40 pound sandblaster from Harbor Freight Tools, sealed everything off with old socks, 200 mph tape, and rubber plugs then went at it with 30 grit sand. It came out pretty nice.
nocones
I have always wanted to do a Buick GN motor in a 914. They have become more popular with 240/280 Z conversions. They are very robust and with external parts and tuning can put out a streetable/reliable 400-500hp. burnout.gif

Please keep us updated on your progress.
(I'll have to keep in mind blasting the transaxle) idea.gif
neo914-6
Don,

Nice work, did you bead blast the tranny? See "the list" in my signature.

Mike,

Is dmenche's bbr running or was that another 914 he had?
messix
the gn motors are very easy to get 400-500 hp out of, exhusts and air intake and a little e-tuning. a new turbo,cam,injectors, intercooler and some more etuning then you 600 - 800 hp
nickg
QUOTE (messix @ Jun 16 2005, 12:46 PM)
the gn motors are very easy to get 400-500 hp out of, exhusts and air intake and a little e-tuning. a new turbo,cam,injectors, intercooler and some more etuning then you 600 - 800 hp

actually 500 is about the most you'll get and have reliable from a 109 block...(stock gn) if you want more you need to go with a stage block or a ta performance one...had 5 gn's and a gnx (523), they are wicked fast cars.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 16 2005, 12:38 PM)
Don,

Nice work, did you bead blast the tranny? See "the list" in my signature.

Felix,

Thank you!

I used 30 grit silica sand. I started out with beads in the blaster but they seemed too fine for what I wanted so switched to 30 grit sand.

Wow! That is an impressive list. Thank you for taking the time to compile it.

Best regards,
Don
messix
QUOTE (nickg @ Jun 16 2005, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (messix @ Jun 16 2005, 12:46 PM)
the gn motors are  very easy to get 400-500 hp out of, exhusts and air intake and a little e-tuning. a new turbo,cam,injectors, intercooler and some more etuning then you 600 - 800 hp

actually 500 is about the most you'll get and have reliable from a 109 block...(stock gn) if you want more you need to go with a stage block or a ta performance one...had 5 gn's and a gnx (523), they are wicked fast cars.

i didn/t say that you could race it at that power. adjustable boost controlers and fuel systems dial them back for daily driving or for low octane fuel. just set it on kill when you need to kinda like hittin the no2.
dbledsoe
Just for the record; my Buick V6 3.8L was rebuilt to factory stock specifications, the internals and heads that is. Then I added an Edelbrock "Performer" dual plane 4bbl intake manifold, MSD billet distributor and MSD ignition, high volume oil pump, Sanderson ESB1 ceramic coated headers (they're actually designed for those building street rods on Ford Model A & B type chassis and as such hug the block closely on the left side for steering box clearance and not quite so closely on the right side of the engine. They were recommended to me by the good folks at Novak Conversions who specialize in engine conversions for street and off road Jeeps), and an IMI Hi Torque starter. A Holley 8007 390 CFM 4bbl carb is waiting to go on top once the engine is bolted in place within the 914.

The 1981 factory stock Buick V6 with 2bbl carb, single exhaust, etc. was rated at 115 hp. I suspect this one will make a bit more. Since this one will be my daily driver I was after reliability, economy, and around town drivability, with an occasional romp over some of Idaho's mountain roads.

The 4.1 liter Buick V6 I am rebuilding, that will enventually go into my 76 914, will be upped a bit in the hp arena with some head work, slightly higher compression pistons, a mild aftermarket cam, headers, 4bbl carb, etc.
messix
stock cam?

if so, without the smog stuff your gonna get about 150 -160 hp.

a good cam [edelbrock preformer] and that 3.8 will really wake up.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (messix @ Jun 16 2005, 01:25 PM)
stock cam?

if so, without the smog stuff your gonna get about 150 -160 hp.

a good cam [edelbrock preformer] and that 3.8 will really wake up.

Yep, stock cam. I have no good reason that I didn't put something else in, might do that later though.
messix
keep in mind that the early 80s smog fix was to choke these engines down to reduce the emissions. so the the stock cam is very small and wont realy let the intake and headers work to the potental that they can.

summit sells the cam for about $129. i just checked. and it would be easy to do it now than later.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (messix @ Jun 16 2005, 02:13 PM)
keep in mind that the early 80s smog fix was to choke these engines down to reduce the emissions. so the the stock cam is very small and wont realy let the intake and headers work to the potental that they can.

summit sells the cam for about $129. i just checked. and it would be easy to do it now than later.

Troy,

Keep it up. Your practicality is getting to me, seeing as how the engine is still out of the car and will be for a while yet. My wife is like that, excellent comon sense. Geees I hate to admit that. headbang.gif
messix
go and do it.

order it and it will be done. no regrets later like man i wish this would rev. past 4,000 rpm.
Michael J
Hey Don,
This will drive you nuts but maybe someone will see this and remember the name. In March a bunch of the Puget Sound owners got together for breakfast and a guy named Phil & his wife Sue showed up from Oak Harbor with the nicest V6 conversion I have seen. It's the blue car in the front of the picture with the AHYBRID license. He had done or had done all of the work. It was spotless and just a perfect job. So the bad news is I don't know his last name can't find him with any forum search. Good luck with the project.
neo914-6
Wow! That is an impressive list. Thank you for taking the time to compile it.

Don,

Your welcome, it's nice for us conversion oriented guys to see what others are doing and to maybe contact someone with similar work to compare notes...
Gary
QUOTE (Michael J @ Jun 19 2005, 11:18 AM)
Hey Don,
This will drive you nuts but maybe someone will see this and remember the name.  In March a bunch of the Puget Sound owners got together for breakfast and a guy named Phil & his wife Sue showed up from Oak Harbor with the nicest V6 conversion I have seen.  It's the blue car in the front of the picture with the AHYBRID license.  He had done or had done all of the work.  It was spotless and just a perfect job.  So the bad news is I don't know his last name can't find him with any forum search.  Good luck with the project.

Nice picture of his ride on this thread. If you search on his last name, you'll find his paint booth pictures - very nice.
dbledsoe
A couple of minor updates: Engine bay/undercarriage cleaned up, degreased, some touch up painting done (some still left to be done), new Bilsteins installed with new 180 lbs. springs, and new transmission mounts installed. Also shown, is the new Griffin aluminum radiator. It's only sitting in place at the time but the orientation is about correct.
dbledsoe
Griffin
dbledsoe
Griffin again
itsmichaeldaniel
QUOTE(dbledsoe @ Jun 16 2005, 09:04 AM) *

Cross member photo.

Hello where did you get this from I need to do the same to my 914
KELTY360
QUOTE(itsmichaeldaniel @ Dec 12 2022, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(dbledsoe @ Jun 16 2005, 09:04 AM) *

Cross member photo.

Hello where did you get this from I need to do the same to my 914

You do realize this is a 17 year old thread, right?
get off my lawn
lol
and it's STILL a bad idea av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.