Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn not working right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Below are a couple pictures of the batwing horn pad and the other of the steering column. Not sure how to route the wire. Wish I paid more attention to when I took it apart. The rubber boot is not shown but is new. It looks like the wire is getting beat up. I know it needs a new end (smaller) but it was working when I took it apart to get to my turn signal switch. In case you are wondering the new turn signal switch has arrived and the old one was sent back. Have not replaced it yet. Want to figure out what is going wrong with this horn thing. Have state inspection this month and not much time to work on this. Does the wire come through that hole on the right? Don't remember it that way. It almost looks like it could go to the right and under the ring then plug in from the back side. Such a simple thing is frustrating me. I did take a ohm meter to make sure the batwing metal is isolated from the other metal and there are fiber washers isolating things, no ohms. What happens is when I put it together and turn on the ignition the horn sounds constantly. Most people can't get it to work, I can't get it to shut off!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Did you check for continuity between the inner ring on your second photo and the outer ring that has the tab on it? There should be none, as the washers on both sides of the three mounting screws shown should be plastic or some other non-conductive material.

The crimped-on spade lug looks to be far too wide; I had thought that the original one was 3mm and that sure looks like a 6mm one. That may cause issues by touching other metal bits that it shouldn't touch. Though the crimp does look factory, so I may be misremembering. It is also possible that the difference is an early/late thing, as I'm remembering the bits from my 74. Perhaps some tape between the side of the spade lug and the inner metal part?

Make sure that the spade isn't touching that inner metal piece, nor touching the steering column end or any metal that is touching that.

--DD
tmc914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 11 2018, 07:42 PM) *

Did you check for continuity between the inner ring on your second photo and the outer ring that has the tab on it? There should be none, as the washers on both sides of the three mounting screws shown should be plastic or some other non-conductive material.

The crimped-on spade lug looks to be far too wide; I had thought that the original one was 3mm and that sure looks like a 6mm one. That may cause issues by touching other metal bits that it shouldn't touch. Though the crimp does look factory, so I may be misremembering. It is also possible that the difference is an early/late thing, as I'm remembering the bits from my 74. Perhaps some tape between the side of the spade lug and the inner metal part?
--DD

Yes, checked continuity and there is none as expected. Will have to get an insulated 3 mm female connector somewhere. Now to figure out how to route it.
tmc914
The answer to my question is YES, the wire does go through that round hole. That only took two days to figure out. Also had to replace the over-sized female crimp connector. Such a simple thing was driving me crazy. Next week I will get my state inspection then think about if I want to mess with taking the steering wheel apart again to replace the turn indicator switch. If the simple things throw me for such a loop the more complicated ones should kill me.
People probably think that changing the turn switch should be easy, it is plug and play. That is the thing that worries me. The horn pad was plug and play too but I couldn't figure out how to route the stupid wire through a simple hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.