Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backwards idle RPM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
....reaching running temp the idle varies between 1400~1500 RPM. That's backwards from what it should be? I have replaced several hoses, checked all areas I could with spritzes of carb cleaner without any effect, so what other components regulate RPM at temperature? I'm no mechanic with the finer details of the D-jet system on my 1.7L motor.
914sgofast2
The AAR (auxiliary air regulator) is probably stuck in the open position. Needs to be cleaned by soaking in carb cleaner or replaced if the heating element has gone bad and no longer closes the valve.
Jamie
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Sep 19 2018, 08:27 AM) *

The AAR (auxiliary air regulator) is probably stuck in the open position. Needs to be cleaned by soaking in carb cleaner or replaced if the heating element has gone bad and no longer closes the valve.

Now I'll just have to discover where the AAR is located and what it looks like! confused24.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 19 2018, 10:24 PM) *

Now I'll just have to discover where the AAR is located and what it looks like! confused24.gif

This is it. It'll be on the driver's side on top of the engine, just in front of the intake runners.

Remove it from the car. Soak in carb cleaner, WD40, etc overnight. If you have a bench DC power supply, you can test it by putting 12VDC on the wire lead and ground on the body of the AAR. With power applied, it will heat up and slowly close until you can't blow air through it.
ndfrigi
not against 914sgofast2. I think it is the other way around. Maybe your AAR is stuck closed, during cold start the engine will run in lower rpm since no air coming In from AAR. and when the engine is on the proper temperature, rpm will go up. Maybe try to adjust ur idle between 800 and 900 when engine is already on the proper temp. But your cold start may need some acceleration since idle will be too low and If AAR does not get some air.
pete000
Engine wants more air at cold start up. This is the job of the AAR. So if you adjust your idle back to 950-1000 when warm your car will probably not idle when cold.

Air leaks are sometimes hard to find. Start by checking the AAR and work your way through the entire system Worn throttle bodies can cause issues as well and are often overlooked.

I spent a long time with my L-Jet air leaks to make it happy...
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 20 2018, 12:01 PM) *

not against 914sgofast2. I think it is the other way around. Maybe your AAR is stuck closed, during cold start the engine will run in lower rpm since no air coming In from AAR. and when the engine is on the proper temperature, rpm will go up. Maybe try to adjust ur idle between 800 and 900 when engine is already on the proper temp. But your cold start may need some acceleration since idle will be too low and If AAR does not get some air.

He had it right, and Pete00 explained it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.