Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914's. Scored a V8 car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Josh K.
Hey everyone,
I'm new to 914's and just scored one hell of a project. Best deal I've ever come across. Two 914's. One rusty silver car with a motor full of water but a bunch of good parts. A black one with a Chevy 350 that supposedly runs and drives.

I scored them both for $850... I'm picking them up Sunday and will strip the silver one and then put the black one together so I can test drive before I blow it apart and fix everything.

If anyone recognizes and of the parts and can give me feedback I'd appreciate it. I believe it has 914-6 rear calipers and maybe 911 frontend? I'm really not sure. I do know someone put a pulley driven external water pump on which is cool because the firewall is intact...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Poor motor is full of water....

IPB Image
mepstein
welcome.png
Josh K.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 20 2018, 08:17 PM) *

welcome.png

Thanks!! I'm trying to shrink the pictures.
Spoke
welcome.png

Nice buy. Good luck with your new cars. It's too bad they were left outside in the weather. Looks like they both got a lot of exposure. That V8 should be a lot of fun.
ClayPerrine
welcome.png

Nice score. Fix them and get them running.

And ask for help from here. Everyone is happy to help.

914-300Hemi
Look like interesting projects.
welcome.png
Josh K.
Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited.

Here's the car that will be sharing the garage. This was an 8 year build. A lot more work then the 914 will take.

https://www.instagram.com/feng_shui_the_510/
Mueller
Score on those 914s.

i like the 510, had one in high school with a triple a 1.8 or something like that.
mgp4591
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you but judging from the sweet 510, you're up to the challenge! Any help you need is here with lots of experience in the stock and modified builds. Good luck and welcome.png
Josh K.
Thanks guys.

Anyone know what frontend this is?

IPB Image
Larmo63
Fiberglass 916

welcome.png
Josh K.
Thanks!
whitetwinturbo
..............wow, that 510 wub.gif

Welcome to the our madness too............ happy11.gif
Drums66
......Welcome to the "WORLD* shades.gif
Krieger
welcome.png
The V-8 car has some serious rust issues underneath. The silver car looks pretty clean. Depending on rust the silver car may be a better choice to build. Still a good score for what you paid.
Krieger
There is a large rust hole in the frame

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Like andy said. You are going to wind up pretty deep on the v-8 car and I imagine the power train will have to come out for repairs. After the assessment start looking at the Restoration Design website. Figure out what you're going to need and Plan the budget.
morgan_harwell
>>Anyone know what front end this is?
That looks like the IMSA styled front end.

The wheels on the black car are worth more than what you paid for both cars.

Looking at the rust issues of the black 914 plus the weight & horsepower of its V8, it is probably not safe to drive it beyond the end of your driveway biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png Love the 510! You got a bit of work ahead of you on the V-8 car for sure. Good luck and have fun. beerchug.gif
Josh K.
Thanks everyone.

Luckily I have lots of sheet metal experience after building the 510... A little rust repair is a walk in the park compared to where the 510 came from...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Josh,
That is more than just a little rust repair. That is structural. The battery tray was under an open grill, and water got into the battery, forcing the acid out and on to the tray. And onto the frame rail and suspension console below it. You are going to need to replace the frame rails, the suspension console, the engine shelf and probably part of the firewall. That motor mount is a bit precarious too.

Your experience with the 510 is gonna come in handy on the 914. And be sure to ask questions. Lots of people here have fixed that kind of rust damage.

welder.gif
ndfrigi
Is the silver has title? I think that can be save since it has a straight body based on the pictures and several out there is/are worst than that are saved or is being restored now. You have a very good skill or restored the Datsun and for sure u can also restore the silver too.

burton73
Looks like you have a lot of good stuff to start with. I think your v8 kit is an old Rod Simson kit.

Lots of info for you right here.

I love the 510. Back in the day my buddies where getting 510 new and they were very impressive.

Welcome to the world.

Bob B
welcome.png
Josh K.
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 21 2018, 08:42 AM) *

Josh,
That is more than just a little rust repair. That is structural.

I'm not trying to downplay the rust. I've already looked over the repairs others have done and like I said I have pretty low concern after finishing the 510. Luckily the 914 has all the patch panels available. I had to make a lot of sheet metal for the 510. Hell the flares are off a VW Golf cheer.gif
Josh K.
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 21 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Is the silver has title? I think that can be save since it has a straight body based on the pictures and several out there is/are worst than that are saved or is being restored now. You have a very good skill or restored the Datsun and for sure u can also restore the silver too.

The silver car looks nice from the outside. Underneath the hole you see in the black car is 4 times larger in the silver and the rust runs halfway across the back of the firewall. It's a mess and will be parted out and scrapped. I'm sure someone could save it but I don't have the space to store it while I wait to find a new home for it.

The black car from what I seen the extent of the rust is pretty much contained to that hole. Shouldn't be a big deal. It just gives me something to do this winter sawzall-smiley.gif
Andyrew
Lots of cleanup to do on that black one! Radiator system and lines need to be completely redone.

Chassis is pretty bad as mentioned.

Looks like you have your work cutout for you but by the pictures you posted of the 510 you have the skills and dedication to pull it off!!!

That silver one looks pretty good, how is the structure of that one?
Josh K.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 08:56 AM) *

Gone. Totally. I'll post pics Sunday when I drag them home and then you guys will understand why the black one is the better of the two blink.gif Trust me, I wish the silver one was the better one. I would just start a fresh swap and move the V8 over.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Josh K. @ Sep 21 2018, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 08:56 AM) *

Gone. Totally. I'll post pics Sunday when I drag them home and then you guys will understand why the black one is the better of the two blink.gif Trust me, I wish the silver one was the better one. I would just start a fresh swap and move the V8 over.

Gotcha. Well it sounds like you have a good headwind of energy so that will help you push through most of the bodywork.

I would pull the black one apart, start working on the rust, maybe put it on a rotiserie.

I suspect you'll put the front fenders from the silver one on the black car? or something else?
Josh K.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:06 AM) *

Gotcha. Well it sounds like you have a good headwind of energy so that will help you push through most of the bodywork.

I would pull the black one apart, start working on the rust, maybe put it on a rotiserie.

I suspect you'll put the front fenders from the silver one on the black car? or something else?

The plan is get it running/driving so I can see how the motor runs and make sure the tranny shifts.. Then I'll cut the motor mounts off the frame rails and mockup a new front mount setup that has more clearance and is stronger. Probably more of a tubular cross member so it adds torsional strength back into the chassis.

I'll then pull the motor and tranny and blow the car apart, brace up the door openings and start on the rust repair. Plan is either use the silver front fenders or just switch over to fiberglass Gt fenders.
Josh K.
Running/driving means literally around the block... just long enough to check the drivetrain. I might even remove the passenger door and brace it before I do the test drive.
ValcoOscar
Congrats welcome.png

You got a sweet deal....If you ever come down to SoCal let me know in advance.
I can possibly gather up to 5 different 914-V8 cars for you to check out. aktion035.gif

Oscar
Josh K.
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 21 2018, 09:22 AM) *

Congrats welcome.png

You got a sweet deal....If you ever come down to SoCal let me know in advance.
I can possibly gather up to 5 different 914-V8 cars for you check out. aktion035.gif

Oscar

Thanks. I really appreciate it. It should be a fun car when it's done!!
Josh K.
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 21 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Looks like you have a lot of good stuff to start with. I think your v8 kit is an old Rod Simson kit.

The motor mount looks like Desert Hybrids one?
Dr Evil
They put a tail shifter on a V8?! Ugh, hope the side shifter in the other car is in good shape, swap all the parts over and be happy. Does the current V8 trans have any special gearing that you know of? If no, it will need it eventually or suck to drive at higher speeds. Cool score.
Josh K.
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 21 2018, 10:06 AM) *

They put a tail shifter on a V8?! Ugh, hope the side shifter in the other car is in good shape, swap all the parts over and be happy. Does the current V8 trans have any special gearing that you know of? If no, it will need it eventually or suck to drive at higher speeds. Cool score.

I have no idea what if anything has been done to the black cars gearbox or if it works at all. The silver car was made 11/74 so it should have a side shift? I'm ok spending the $2500 to build the tranny right once I get the car mostly done. Hopefully I got a good enough tranny to mockup and shake down the car. Either way it's no biggie. The price I paid for both cars kinda makes it easier to spend the money on a tranny driving.gif
djway
Great score.
A V8 conversion is the reason I purchased my first 914 WAYYYYYY back when.
I still have never had one but I keep hoping.
Have a blast!
1970-1914
Hey Josh,

I am just starting a v8 build as well a bit north of you in Abbotsford BC - across the border from Bellingham. Good to know of another car semi close by.

Pierre

This is what it looked like when I bought it - it is now 5 bolt and and I have been collecting all the parts for the swap.

Click to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
I'm in Bellingham and in the midst of a Chevy V8 conversion on a rust free, original paint, one owner SoCal 1976. I've done a chrome bumper and 5 lug conversion and the V8 installation. Mechanically I'm pretty much done. I've got about 200 miles of shake down in and things are close to sorted. Mostly Renegade parts. Bumpers are off being chromed and it's time for body, paint and interior.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm not experienced nor an expert. This is not only my first V8 conversion but my first 914. Josh and Piere....if I can help either of you in any way avoid some of the many mistakes I made, LMK.
1970-1914
Dick,

Your car looks great! What cu inch motor did you end up using?

I will definitely have more questions as I get a bit deeper into it.

Pierre
DickSteinkamp
Pierre,
I'm using a 305 out of an '88 Camaro. It's a roller cam motor. One piece rear main seal.
I'm using the stock trans and didn't want more than 250 HP or so. Even then I'm not keen on getting on it in 1st gear. Also, I wanted a stock body. Because of that I can't get very big tires under the car. More HP would just put the tires up in smoke quicker w00t.gif . The TPI wouldn't fit under the bonnet so I converted it to a carb. I have a "Thumper" cam in it...primarily to give it a hot rod sounding idle evilgrin.gif .
Josh K.
That's great stuff guys. I lived in Bellingham for five years and was just there today picking up my son!!!

Some good news on another front. My 510 has been chosen to be in the Tuner Exhibit at Lemay Auto Museum. It's starts in November. My car will be there until April.

I will miss her a ton but I can visit when ever I want and I'll have her back by car show/autocross season next summer. I have the 914 to cut up and fix during the winter so that helps. I should have it on the road by summer also. I'll let the wifey drive the Porsche to the shows and I'll drive the 510. I have to make the Porsche "daily drivable" per her instructions. No race car disguised as a show car!!!

IPB Image
Andyrew
If I could make a suggestion, ditch the carbed sbc and tail shift transmission and put a dirt cheap 4.8 LS in it and a boxster S trans.

The quality of work you put into the 510 and your willingness to put 2500 into a trans that in reality is a POS tells me you probably wouldn't be apposed to spending another 5k on what is one of the best setups in a 914 at this moment.

I've owned a carbed sbc before I did my Audi turbo. And it was a really really hard decision to not go with a LS3 or something instead of my Audi motor.

The carbed Sbc with 914 trans just never worked right no mater how many thousands I put into it and I know many other carbed V8 guys that are currently in the same boat.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Sep 21 2018, 09:42 AM) *

>>Anyone know what front end this is?
That looks like the IMSA styled front end.

The wheels on the black car are worth more than what you paid for both cars.

Looking at the rust issues of the black 914 plus the weight & horsepower of its V8, it is probably not safe to drive it beyond the end of your driveway.

They're fakes.
Josh K.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:36 PM) *

If I could make a suggestion, ditch the carbed sbc and tail shift transmission and put a dirt cheap 4.8 LS in it and a boxster S trans.

The quality of work you put into the 510 and your willingness to put 2500 into a trans that in reality is a POS tells me you probably wouldn't be apposed to spending another 5k on what is one of the best setups in a 914 at this moment.

I've owned a carbed sbc before I did my Audi turbo. And it was a really really hard decision to not go with a LS3 or something instead of my Audi motor.

The carbed Sbc with 914 trans just never worked right no mater how many thousands I put into it and I know many other carbed V8 guys that are currently in the same boat.

You make very valid points. I was going to convert to EFI down the road so maybe keep the 350 and just fuel inject but save my money for a bullet proof tranny. I think for now I want to get it on the road as is and since I have a spare tranny I should be good for a while. I can tear it down in a few years and put in the LS better tranny and axles.

I'm building my dream collection and this and the 510 aren't going anywhere. The other cars I want are a Nissan S13 Coupe (I sold mine and regret it...) and a 30's Ford Roadster. That will round out my stable..
Josh K.
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 21 2018, 09:41 PM) *

They're fakes.

That's what my buddy said also.
Josh K.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2018, 09:36 PM) *

I didn't realize how cheap the 4.8l was.. just looked them up. No sense efi'ing the 350.. a LS is half the cost confused24.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Josh K. @ Sep 21 2018, 09:43 PM) *

You make very valid points. I was going to convert to EFI down the road so maybe keep the 350 and just fuel inject but save my money for a bullet proof tranny. I think for now I want to get it on the road as is and since I have a spare tranny I should be good for a while. I can tear it down in a few years and put in the LS better tranny and axles.

I'm building my dream collection and this and the 510 aren't going anywhere. The other cars I want are a Nissan S13 Coupe (I sold mine and regret it...) and a 30's Ford Roadster. That will round out my stable..

The minute you put money into the SBC your out in the log run...

Judging by the radiator setup your going to likely have issues. I the most I would do for your setup is new fluids, new shifter bushings, and a general tune up on the motor. Beyond that it's worth it to start piecing together the better parts you need for a killer daily of a car.

Fyi I wouldn't mess with that radiator at all. Call up Renegade Hybrids and get their 1k radiator setup shipped to you, it's worth every penny to someone starting out. Its the best out there and will future proof the car. The biggest issues people have are with the radiator setup on V8 cars.

Josh K.
Great stuff!!

You're right. Tune up and Renegade Radiator setup and drive it! (After fixing the rust obviously...) An LS swap later.
Tdskip
Welcome, and please do keep us posted.

The advice of doing the minimum to get her on the road, safely, and just driving her a bit is sage wisdom. Too easy to go crazy with the possibilities. Use her a bit then decide on the ultimate plan.

Keep us posted in any case!
DickSteinkamp
Here is the Renegade radiator kit in mine...

IPB Image

IPB Image

It does cool great. No overheating under any circumstances so far. The fans sound like a jet spooling up, however. Probably no way to avoid that in order to get enough air moving through. As mentioned, the kit is $1,000. I would think with your fabrication skills you could beat that cost. I can send you more pictures, dimensions, etc. if you want.

My carbed (Holley) SBC runs very good. Starts instantly cold or hot. No flat spots, stumbling, etc. Makes good power idle to red line (and beyond). For me, the cost of an EFI upgrade would not be worth it. Maybe a little better fuel mileage (but that's not what we build these cars for)...I can't imagine drivability could improve. With an unlimited budget, sure (I like to experiment). With a realistic budget (for me), I'm not tempted. I'm old enough to be able to dial in a carb pretty well. dry.gif

Same with a more modern V8 and trans. The SBC (with a cap on the HP) and stock trans is pretty well proven.

Love your 510! I bought one new in 1971. Sold it a few years later. I can't believe the prices they are bringing now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.