Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost reverse and sometimes first gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
I replaced the linkage and the shifting was sloppy but at least I could find each of the 5 gears and reverse. After driving it around a little I had problems hitting reverse when I parked this morning. By lunch I went out and could not find reverse at all. I pushed it the few feet I needed to back up and drove away, but first gear was hard to find. Is there an adjustment that I missed. I ordered the Precision Shift Adjuster but it has not arrived yet. I figure that will "fine tune" the shifting but I would like to have the linkage as close as I can prior to adding the PSA. Thanks in advance for your help.
cheers! and happy last day of summer!
markw
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Sep 21 2018, 01:51 PM) *

I replaced the linkage and the shifting was sloppy but at least I could find each of the 5 gears and reverse. After driving it around a little I had problems hitting reverse when I parked this morning. By lunch I went out and could not find reverse at all. I pushed it the few feet I needed to back up and drove away, but first gear was hard to find. Is there an adjustment that I missed. I ordered the Precision Shift Adjuster but it has not arrived yet. I figure that will "fine tune" the shifting but I would like to have the linkage as close as I can prior to adding the PSA. Thanks in advance for your help.
cheers! and happy last day of summer!
markw

Adjuster should show up in the mail tomorrow.
It sounds like something is loose, allowing the lever to move more than normal. Check both bushing brackets, the one under the shift lever and the one at the transmission. Also check the cone screw below the shift lever.
milwlandrover
[I am on it. Thanks for your help and fast service.

Cheers!
milwlandrover
[I got the precision shift adjuster yesterday. It looks great. I probably won't get it in until next weekend, but I appreciate your service and the hard work that went into the part.

cheers!

markw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.