Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Machine Shop recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Working through the various options on how to proceed with my next version of my build. One thing I am looking at is potentially having some work one on the case. Any recommendations on local (Knoxville, TN) shops that can open the case to accommodate bigger cylinders. Believe the opening has to go from 98mm to 103mm.

Also may need to have lined bored.
DRPHIL914
no recommendations from me other than there is a guy here that could build your motor for you --- Go Big or Go Home Mike!!! poke.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 28 2018, 09:49 AM) *

no recommendations from me other than there is a guy here that could build your motor for you --- Go Big or Go Home Mike!!! poke.gif

Looks like I will be doing the build with a lot of Type 4 Store goodies including Nickies and lots of questions for the brain trust.

Oh it will be big!
poorsche914
Mike,

There is a VW show Oct 6-7 in Sevierville. I can ask about nearby shops with aircooled experience.

Or, contact Eurotech Knoxville - if they don't do it in house, they may be able to recommend a shop.

steve
driving.gif
914dave
Mike
What did it turn out to be. Broken crank or cranks bolts?
Dave
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 28 2018, 01:48 PM) *

Mike
What did it turn out to be. Broken crank or cranks bolts?
Dave

Have not finished teardown. but rear main disintegrated and all rod bearings are shot. Case seems to be broken as well.

kind of dragging my feet on seeing the damage!
914dave
I hear ya! You already know it won’t be pretty! Get in there and post some pics!!!!
poorsche914
Give Larry a call at The Speed Shop in Harriman (865) 882-0093

driving.gif
bdstone914
Mike,

Let me know if you need a case. I have one that is cleaned and does not need line bore.

Please share pictures of the carnage.

@Mblizzard
Mblizzard
Let the carnage begin!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not sure this is the cause but it did not help.

Click to view attachment

I did not note if it was in this position when I removed it because the crank fell out. But it looks like someone put it in wrong and then repositioned.
mb911
Wow that sucks. Looks like a total loss to me..
IronHillRestorations
Whoopsie! Looks like a main bearing didn't get lined up on the dowel pin
wndsrfr
If you're going to go big...take Bruce's case, send it to FAT and have them put in a new forging stroker crank balanced and doweled to the flywheel and pressure plate. BTDT...Also, They'll deck the case and set it up for bigger spigots if you want to go bigger than 96mm.
90quattrocoupe
Are 914 cranks forged or cast?

Greg W.
mb911
Maybe 6 time might br cheaper.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 1 2018, 03:04 AM) *

Really don't see any way I could do a 6 conversion for the money.

Currently just looking at just building it back with a few more quality parts like Nickies and such.
mb911
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 1 2018, 04:51 AM) *

Currently just looking at just building it back with a few more quality parts like Nickies and such.

Mike I have no idea what it costs to do a type 4.. I have heard large numbers semi recently. I then think of some of the 3.0 and smaller that Mark Epstein has had for sale recently and your almost at a wash. Probably still 3k more expensive for a swap of a known running 6 engine..

Mblizzard
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 1 2018, 05:25 AM) *

Mike I have no idea what it costs to do a type 4.. I have heard large numbers semi recently. I then think of some of the 3.0 and smaller that Mark Epstein has had for sale recently and your almost at a wash. Probably still 3k more expensive for a swap of a known running 6 engine..

I have not seen any essentially plug and play 6 that is even close to what I expect to spend on this build.

I am essentially spending $5K on good parts from the Type 4 Store, will have some machine shop work in it, and doing the build myself. I have seen some rebuildable 6s that would fall in that range but nothing ready to go.

Anyone has a good running 6 ready to go for $8K then that's a game change. But I just have not seen anything like that.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 30 2018, 07:14 PM) *

If you're going to go big...take Bruce's case, send it to FAT and have them put in a new forging stroker crank balanced and doweled to the flywheel and pressure plate. BTDT...Also, They'll deck the case and set it up for bigger spigots if you want to go bigger than 96mm.

This is an interesting option. My current case has already be taken 0/20 over. But the shipping just makes it difficult to do.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 29 2018, 06:01 AM) *

Mike,

Let me know if you need a case. I have one that is cleaned and does not need line bore.

Please share pictures of the carnage.

@Mblizzard

Bruce just trying to work through some costs. Thoughts on taking the case and having it opened to accommodate a 78mm crank (not suppose to require any mods but I have not done this before) and open the case to 108.50mm to accommodate large cylinders and then shipping.

Checking with some shops here but they just done have much experience with Type 4 case work so it would be hit or miss!
mb911
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 1 2018, 06:15 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 1 2018, 05:25 AM) *

I have not seen any essentially plug and play 6 that is even close to what I expect to spend on this build.

I am essentially spending $5K on good parts from the Type 4 Store, will have some machine shop work in it, and doing the build myself. I have seen some rebuildable 6s that would fall in that range but nothing ready to go.

Anyone has a good running 6 ready to go for $8K then that's a game change. But I just have not seen anything like that.

Pm Markepstein.. I would look for a 2.4 as a good place to start.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.