Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake & front light issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
i have the euro light set up on the front of my car but i found an issue today.

all lights work normally on the exterior independently. today i saw my front side lights illuminate when i press the brake pedal, the brake lights come on also .
the only other quirk i have is that when i indicate left or right the 2 arrows on tje gauge flash once then stop but outside lights work as normal. these arrows work when i use the hazard flashers.

if i remember correctly i used a diagram from jeff bowlsby website for the wiring and i'm sure this has only just started as i've checked my lights numerous times
carking1996
I am also having some lights issues, but have gone over wiring at least 8 times all the way around and haven't come up with any shorts or issues yet. It's a mystery.
Dave_Darling
The OP has some of the wires switched around. Power is probably feeding from the brake light circuit across to the parking light circuit. Check how the brake lights are wired.

Oh! And make sure you have the correct type of bulbs in the taillights! Putting a single-filament bulb into a dual-filament socket (or vice versa) can cause all kinds of really bizarre problems... If you take the bulb out, a dual-filament socket will have two metal tabs at the bottom of the hole. A single-filament socket will have only one. And you can check the bulb to see how many filaments it has.

--DD
JFG
thanks dave but this problem is new, previously the lights were working normally and nothing has interfered with wiring.
Spoke
QUOTE(JFG @ Oct 1 2018, 11:50 AM) *

the only other quirk i have is that when i indicate left or right the 2 arrows on tje gauge flash once then stop but outside lights work as normal. these arrows work when i use the hazard flashers.

I agree with what Dave said about the brake bulbs. Also try removing the brake lights and see if the front lights come on. Is it only the front sidemarkers or all front lights (left and right).

About the indicator arrows, both flashing when the L or R turnsignal is selected is a weakening of the secondary coil in the flasher relay. A new flasher relay will solve this.
PanelBilly
Where is the flasher relay ?
JFG
flasher relay is hidden above the fuse panel.

i rechecked the problem and it was just the front right side light illuminating.

both filaments on the rear bulbs work fine but i took both out and front light stopped illuminating.

i swapped the rear bulbs from left to right and then only the front left light came on.

again both filaments on both rear bulbs worked fine.

i removed the offending rear bulb (which was stiff in both sides whereas the other bulb was fine?) to examine it and the only difference is some blackening of the base of the filaments

Click to view attachment
JFG
out of curiosity, as my fuse box is inaccesable right now, what is the appropriate after market relay to fit? 4 pin or 5 pin with specific numbers? i'm sure the relay on it now is an aftermarket silver square one.
Spoke
QUOTE(JFG @ Oct 2 2018, 09:49 AM) *

out of curiosity, as my fuse box is inaccesable right now, what is the appropriate after market relay to fit? 4 pin or 5 pin with specific numbers? i'm sure the relay on it now is an aftermarket silver square one.

When the OEM flasher in my car started doing the "both indicators flashing" thing, I made a short pigtail like below, pulled the tach, removed the common wire from both indicators and taped up the wire, and installed the pigtail shown below.

One wire goes to each indicator and the common goes to the ground on the tach. Problem solved. Not a real classy fix but then again, I'm quite lazy and didn't feel like dropping the fuse panel.

If you want to replace the flasher, I sell the EP26 which is LED-compatible and drop in replacement. EP26 is available online everywhere but the C2 pin isn't connected to anything. I open the flasher and short C2 to ground to drive the wire to the indicators.

About your front light coming on. It might be the bulb and its blackened base causing the issue. The dual filament bulb used for brake also has the running light. If the base doesn't make good contact to the socket the brake filament will light by sending current through the running light filament and to the other running lights on your car. A way to test this is to look at the brake light when ON and see if both filaments are lit. Try cleaning the base and retest.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 2 2018, 06:34 AM) *

Where is the flasher relay ?

Just checked the Bowlsby files and found it. Thanks Jefff
JFG
light issue sorted, bulb must have breaking down internally.

broke my fucking new hella lense in the process headbang.gif mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.