Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brain trust question for hydraulic clutch....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hey guys.....please help if you can. Took 1989 944 turbo to Rennsport instead of 914....about 100 in the clutch pedal went down and never came back up. I used my toes to pry it back up and then pumped it to get a shift out of it. Made it to hotel and left parked for two days. Brake reservoir full but forced a bit more in. Somehow had a inch or so of pedal so made the best of it. Last 100 miles back the pedal starts working like perfect and pushes back up like normal. This is a puzzlement to me. Had new brake pads put in week prior and also clutch pedal acted a little funky a month earlier. Any ideas out there? Anyone know what power bleeding is? I would love to figure this out. Have read other forums and guys have replaced master and slave cylinders and still have the same problem. I sure would appreciate an explanation before burning through my money. Thank you very much.
gg
markhoward
Heard this is a common problem and is often caused by corrosion in the master cylinder. Don't have first hand knowledge as its been 25 years since I had my 951 (need another). Was recently helping a friend who was having the same problem with her 944 s2 and found this site to be helpful. https://www.clarks-garage.com/
mb911
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 1 2018, 02:13 PM) *

Hey guys.....please help if you can. Took 1989 944 turbo to Rennsport instead of 914....about 100 in the clutch pedal went down and never came back up. I used my toes to pry it back up and then pumped it to get a shift out of it. Made it to hotel and left parked for two days. Brake reservoir full but forced a bit more in. Somehow had a inch or so of pedal so made the best of it. Last 100 miles back the pedal starts working like perfect and pushes back up like normal. This is a puzzlement to me. Had new brake pads put in week prior and also clutch pedal acted a little funky a month earlier. Any ideas out there? Anyone know what power bleeding is? I would love to figure this out. Have read other forums and guys have replaced master and slave cylinders and still have the same problem. I sure would appreciate an explanation before burning through my money. Thank you very much.
gg

Very typical of 944s that have sat or the slave or master cylinder are bad or need bleeding.. Moisture is the issue usually..
second wind
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 1 2018, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 1 2018, 02:13 PM) *

gg

Very typical of 944s that have sat or the slave or master cylinder are bad or need bleeding.. Moisture is the issue usually..

Thank you guys!!!! Funny as the story is the car sat for ten years outside in palm springs.....looks it.....touch a plastic button inside and it shatters.....all timing belts and such done 7,500 miles ago.....ten years ago...so I have replaced every piece of rubber under the hood....plus about everything else....makes good sense to get new components to rule them out.....oh well....I like new....thank you again you guys
gg
theer
If its not the hydraulics, sitting that long can result in the clutch fork getting stuck in the "down" position. Happened to me.. it popped back up a few days later and now works fine... could be rust on the shaft/TO bearing.
ConeDodger
You can try bleeding in reverse. Jack up the front of the car and put a mityvac on the bleed screw for the slave and suck it threw that way.

There is also a spring on the pedal that could have broken.
second wind
Thank you for the great ideas.....but how did it go back to perfect operation? Even though brake reservoir looked full at all times I kept adding fluid to try to force a little more in and get some pedal back. Did the car bleed some air out by chance or ???
Please keep the ideas coming in.....thank you again.
gg
porschetub
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2018, 09:36 AM) *

You can try bleeding in reverse. Jack up the front of the car and put a mityvac on the bleed screw for the slave and suck it threw that way.

There is also a spring on the pedal that could have broken.

Exactly,very hard to get the slave cylinder to bleed conventionally ,took me severals attempts,also the piston was sticky so pulled it apart and cleaned it,cups were ok and it worked fine after.
Think Rob has nailed it on the pedal return assist spring,worth checking for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.