Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the Pertonix curves correct?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Didn’t want to hijack another thread so I thought I’d ask on a new one.

Are these units drop right in?

Curve correct?

Thanks!
bmtrnavsky
Mine just replaced the points and worked right out of the box.
eitnurg
The advance mechanism is in the dizzy itself? There are no ‘curves’ in the Pertronix unit, it just replaces the points?
jdamiano
If you’re asking about the distributor they sell I have one in my 2x 40idf carb 2.0 and it works fine. Dropped right in, set the timing and good to go.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 2 2018, 11:34 AM) *

The advance mechanism is in the dizzy itself? There are no ‘curves’ in the Pertronix unit, it just replaces the points?

Yes, pertronix does nothing to the advance curve.

Only a box like a MSD 6 programmable or other electronic programmable systems can run an advance curve on a dizzy this way. With these systems you have to lock out the dizzy's mechanical advance.
Mark Henry
A quick note for newbies, changing to pertronix will change the initial timing setting and you will have to break out the timing light. But you have to do this even when replacing regular points.

Timing the engine and the dizzy advance curve are two seperate things.
Tdskip
Hi guys - inadequately precise question on my part.

I was asking about the drop in distributor.

Oops!
jdamiano
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 2 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Oops!

Knowing the engine and if it’s FI or carbs is important to the question as well.
76-914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 2 2018, 09:20 AM) *

Oops!

Call them and ask. They are super helpful. They may need to call you back later. I have a complete Petronix dizzy (Flamethrower series) on the V8 car I'm doing. Great product but as mentioned above they need to know what it's going on. Be sure to buy the req'd matching coil if you go that route. beerchug.gif
garm
I was looking at these just today for my 2.7 swap. Couldn't figure out which one would be correct for my build, so I will give them a call.

Also looking at the 123 products; they have a bluetooth dizzy you can program from your smartphone. I assume you'd be programming the curve, right?

Any thoughts Pertronix vs. 123?

Mark Henry
No clue on the advance curve and it looks like it's not adjustable, so good or bad your stuck with it.

123 is fully adjustable from bluetooth phone or tab.
Red72
So with the Pertronix Igniter II, they have adjustable advance curves with springs and limiters. They advertise something like 78 different possible curve combinations with these parts...has anyone run across a complete listing? Sounds like there's plenty of potential to customize, just trying to figure out how.

With the 'stock' settings you can get about 24 degrees of advance at 3500, but if you want 27 degrees, and static of 5 on the 1.7 engine, then you don't want the 24 degrees total advance...

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.