Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas pedal linkage keeps popping off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, happy Friday.

I would like to drive the red "turbo" car to see the Orange County mafia at Crystal Cove tomorrow but my gas pedal keeps popping off.

More specifically, it's the cup on the accelerator rod that attaches to the ball in the linkage on the floor that keeps popping off. I am not seeing any means of adjusting that fit so it doesn't pop off, but I'm still a newbie here and was hoping that you guys would be able to offer ideas and things to check.

I may have a spare rod that I can try, but any ideas on how to resolve this and or common issues?

This is a 911 diagram, but it is a very similar set up. It's number six that keeps popping off

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Pulled the linkage off the car and when I compare it to a spare that I have it looks like the cup has worn on the one on the left ( which is the one that's been popping off). The one on the right, with black tape on it, is a spare. Click to view attachment
theer
Hard to tell in the pictures, but it looks as if the round retainer spring is missing... #6A in the parts diagram.
Tdskip
QUOTE(theer @ Oct 5 2018, 09:10 AM) *

Hard to tell in the pictures, but it looks as if the round retainer spring is missing... #6A in the parts diagram.

Good morning, my car did/does not have the spring.

What should be there, are they all the same?
Tdskip
This.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2018, 07:15 AM) *

This.

No that one pictured only fits on G50 pedal set rods that have a hole drilled thru for it. It is a round circular clip.
I can send you a new end. If you are coming to Oscars Sunday I can brng one.
Bruce
dr914@autoatlanta.com
most probably it is a bad pedal. If your pedal rocks from side to side, it is bad and you need a new one. They are very inexpensive these days as our friends at URO make a good reproduction. That very problem is discussed in my book "tech tips 700" as years ago as a kid I too thought that there was something wrong with the linkage, but eventually found out the real reason. With a new pedal you will be surprised how much better the car will drive!!

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2018, 06:31 AM) *

I would like to drive the red "turbo" car to see the Orange County mafia at Crystal Cove tomorrow but my gas pedal keeps popping off.

More specifically, it's the cup on the accelerator rod that attaches to the ball in the linkage on the floor that keeps popping off. I am not seeing any means of adjusting that fit so it doesn't pop off, but I'm still a newbie here and was hoping that you guys would be able to offer ideas and things to check.

I may have a spare rod that I can try, but any ideas on how to resolve this and or common issues?

This is a 911 diagram, but it is a very similar set up. It's number six that keeps popping off

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Ah, thanks Bruce.

I can see a clip in there on the one I took off. It is not quite a full 360, slight gap.

George, this car as metal gas pedal so don’t think it is a wobble (but my other one wobbles like wet linguini! Thanks for the tip).
bdstone914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2018, 07:22 AM) *

most probably it is a bad pedal. If your pedal rocks from side to side, it is bad and you need a new one. They are very inexpensive these days as our friends at URO make a good reproduction. That very problem is discussed in my book "tech tips 700" as years ago as a kid I too thought that there was something wrong with the linkage, but eventually found out the real reason. With a new pedal you will be surprised how much better the car will drive!!

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2018, 06:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I do not agree the gas pedal would cause it to pop off. If the clip if they and expanded it will pop off. Bad bushings in the accelerator crank will allow side to side movement. Check you gas pedal by moving it side to side. They rust internally at the base.
TheCabinetmaker
I agree Bruce. Worn pedal will cause the ball end to pop out of the pedal cup, but not the other end of the rod from the bell crank
Tdskip
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 5 2018, 10:27 AM) *

I agree Bruce. Worn pedal will cause the ball end to pop out of the pedal cup, but not the other end of the rod from the bell crank

Thanks for the response, and in my case the pedal doesn't have any so I decide slop so it's the ball/cup that's an issue.
Tdskip
OK -did some digging am down I don’t think the issue is the rod / ball / cup.

My whole assembly is flopping around;

-The assembley where my finger is will flop around (#7 is the picture for illustration purposes)

- I have the cotter pin and washer (#19 and #20) but NOT what looks to be a bushing (#18)

EDIT: correct diagram here. I am missing the rubber stop #25 and bearing sleeve #29

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
You are probably going to need to pull the pedal set to replace the bushings. If those are bad the set probably needs rebuilding. I know a guy .....
Tdskip
Hi Bruce.

How hard to pull the pedal cluster?
Dave_Darling
It can be easy, or it can be a rusted-together pain in the ***. Depends.

IIRC, you have to unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall because those two fasteners are two of the ones that also hold the pedal cluster on.

Other that that, and unhooking all of the linkage bits, it is very straightforward. Unbolt and remove. The "unbolt" can be a challenge due to rust, though.

--DD
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2018, 04:02 PM) *

Hi Bruce.

How hard to pull the pedal cluster?

Skip,

If you want to get a rebuilt set from me we can probably get Oscar to lend the use of his garage and swap it out. I like to undo the clutch cable and accelerator cables at he the back of the car. Requires removing the steering rack pan. master cylinder bolts, wires to the brake light switch. Then I shove a chisel under the set to lift it above the studs. Pull, twist and get the set out to where you can unhook the clutch and accelerator cables.
Bruce

Tdskip
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 5 2018, 06:42 PM) *

It can be easy, or it can be a rusted-together pain in the ***. Depends.

IIRC, you have to unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall because those two fasteners are two of the ones that also hold the pedal cluster on.

Other that that, and unhooking all of the linkage bits, it is very straightforward. Unbolt and remove. The "unbolt" can be a challenge due to rust, though.

--DD

Thanks Dave. This is a long-term California car, but...
Tdskip
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 5 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Skip,

If you want to get a rebuilt set from me we can probably get Oscar to lend the use of his garage and swap it out. I like to undo the clutch cable and accelerator cables at he the back of the car. Requires removing the steering rack pan. master cylinder bolts, wires to the brake light switch. Then I shove a chisel under the set to lift it above the studs. Pull, twist and get the set out to where you can unhook the clutch and accelerator cables.
Bruce

Hi Bruce-that would be great but let me see if I have that time to put aside ( Busy kids soccer weekend).

I also want to make sure that I'm not distracting from the main reason everyone's there.

But if it lines up and we can still get the primary work done that would be fantastic.

EDIT - I am a moron. I can't drive the car, so I'd have to have it towed there, which is cost prohibitive.
Tdskip
Had a local shop track these down for seven bucks.

Bruce-I'm going to have to fix it at my house so will give these a try. If the rest of the cluster is messed up I'll ping you separately to get one of your rebuilt ones.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Found a second issue!

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@bdstone914

Hi Bruce-do you have the acceletor rod that mounts through the pedal Koster? I figured out why mine was all messed up.

#30 on the schematic (#17 on the first one)
Tdskip
Fixed-harvested a replacement assembly from a car that I sold to Gabe (thanks again Gabe!).

Just back from a shakedown run and all appears well.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.