Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Store LE-200 Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
The write up sounds awesome but so is the price. Anyone have experience with these? I am building essentially a 2549. I have some good big valve heads that are ported, 44 intake valves 36 exhaust valves, dual springs, and chromoly retainers but may not flow as well as these. Not looking to build the beast of all engines but I am in so deep it is hard to stop. But $3,700 for heads is steep. Likely not as good but AA has similar heads for just over $2K. I think my current heads may leave some flow on the table but is really hard to justify the money unless someone else has an experience that makes this a requirement.

LE-200
Castings: AMC
Chambers: CNC machined 2.0 914
Chamber Step: 95.0 x 1.0mm *
Plug angle: 2.0 914
Plug size: M12
Valve sizes: 44mm x 38mm by Manley
Springs: Premium dual Crower set for 160lbs seat pressure & 330lbs at .520” valve lift.
Retainers: Crower Chromoly
Keepers: Hardened and ground for clearance
Intake Ports: Fully CNC machined with hand finished details.
Exhaust Ports: Fully CNC machined with hand finishing.
Introduced in 2004, the LE-200’s have become the benchmark for superior high-end performance Type 4 engines. So named because they represent the Leading Edge of technology and the intake ports flowed 200CFM @ .500” valve lift, a value they exceeded by the 2nd version. The exhaust ports average flow is 75-77% of the average intake port flow.
crash914
they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

the springs are beastly. mine rev's up to 7K with no bounce on a high lift reduced base circle cam.
The chambers are matched to LE's pistons if you go with Nickies.

beware that these use 12mm plugs, i.e. motorcycle plugs, smaller diameter, but have a punch.

valves are special, high quality with super strong retainers.

bent one, Len sent me a new one. no head damage, guides are super strong also.
they come with matched intakes. the profile is interesting, valves are unmasked. they flow like crazy.

had these on my 103 motor, blew it up, cleaned up the heads and now they are on my 102 motor.

my head guys here were really impressed when they cleaned up the damage to the one cylinder.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 9 2018, 03:35 PM) *

they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

the springs are beastly. mine rev's up to 7K with no bounce on a high lift reduced base circle cam.
The chambers are matched to LE's pistons if you go with Nickies.

beware that these use 12mm plugs, i.e. motorcycle plugs, smaller diameter, but have a punch.

valves are special, high quality with super strong retainers.

bent one, Len sent me a new one. no head damage, guides are super strong also.
they come with matched intakes. the profile is interesting, valves are unmasked. they flow like crazy.

had these on my 103 motor, blew it up, cleaned up the heads and now they are on my 102 motor.

my head guys here were really impressed when they cleaned up the damage to the one cylinder.

Great info. This correlates exactly with the discussion I was having with Jake. Flow and quality is more important than just going bigger.
Jetsetsurfshop
Contact Len at Hoffman
He built me a set of heads for my race car. They were not an AMC casting.
I'd have to find the invoice but I think I paid around 2500.00 bucks and that was with all the cool stuff.
beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
They're heads built by Len Hoffman, HAM
I'd say the best you can buy. beer.gif
r_towle
Have you had your existing head checked on a flow bench?
Jetsetsurfshop
Len outperformed my old heads on the flow bench. I didn't think he could because my old heads have 48x38 valves. I figured the bigger cambers and valves he would have a hard time to top. Bigger isn't always better!
I'm not sure whats wrong with your old heads, but if you need a set hit up Len.
ConeDodger
I’ve run them on two separate engines. They are the bomb! evilgrin.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2018, 05:21 PM) *

Have you had your existing head checked on a flow bench?

No but hard to think they would better than than these.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 9 2018, 05:21 PM) *

The write up sounds awesome but so is the price. Anyone have experience with these? I am building essentially a 2549. I have some good big valve heads that are ported, 44 intake valves 36 exhaust valves, dual springs, and chromoly retainers but may not flow as well as these. Not looking to build the beast of all engines but I am in so deep it is hard to stop. But $3,700 for heads is steep. Likely not as good but AA has similar heads for just over $2K. I think my current heads may leave some flow on the table but is really hard to justify the money unless someone else has an experience that makes this a requirement.

LE-200
Castings: AMC
Chambers: CNC machined 2.0 914
Chamber Step: 95.0 x 1.0mm *
Plug angle: 2.0 914
Plug size: M12
Valve sizes: 44mm x 38mm by Manley
Springs: Premium dual Crower set for 160lbs seat pressure & 330lbs at .520” valve lift.
Retainers: Crower Chromoly
Keepers: Hardened and ground for clearance
Intake Ports: Fully CNC machined with hand finished details.
Exhaust Ports: Fully CNC machined with hand finishing.
Introduced in 2004, the LE-200’s have become the benchmark for superior high-end performance Type 4 engines. So named because they represent the Leading Edge of technology and the intake ports flowed 200CFM @ .500” valve lift, a value they exceeded by the 2nd version. The exhaust ports average flow is 75-77% of the average intake port flow.

Here's a little discount going on,

More images for Use code FALL-10-OFF at checkout on lnengineering.com Online orders only. Offer expires on 10/11/18 at 11:59 PM One coupon per registered customer. Offer expires 10/11/2018 11:59 PM. You must be a registered and logged in to use coupons in LN Engineering Online Store. For a limited time, save up to 20% on all Nickies air-cooled cylinders and piston sets. Offer expires 10/11/2018 11:59 PM. Add 10% off coupon on already discounted store prices. You must be a registered and logged in user to use coupons in LN Engineering Online Store. Use code FALL-10-OFF at checkout on lnengineering.com Online orders only. Offer expires on 10/11/18 at 11:59 PM
Report images
Ads

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 9 2018, 09:33 PM) *

Len outperformed my old heads on the flow bench. I didn't think he could because my old heads have 48x38 valves. I figured the bigger cambers and valves he would have a hard time to top. Bigger isn't always better!

The reason is the small exhaust port, you can't put more in if you can't get it out.
T4 heads don't have much of a flow issue on the intakes, all I do is a quick clean up and blend in the seats. Time is spent on the exhaust ports.

Len has to do the CNC intake ports because of the AMC head core rework he does. I've use a couple sets of Len's heads, top notch.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 10 2018, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 9 2018, 09:33 PM) *

The reason is the small exhaust port, you can't put more in if you can't get it out.
T4 heads don't have much of a flow issue on the intakes, all I do is a quick clean up and blend in the seats. Time is spent on the exhaust ports.

Len has to do the CNC intake ports because of the AMC head core rework he does. I've use a couple sets of Len's heads, top notch.

Checked with Len but is seems that they are current out of stock on the AAP heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.